This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta Feedback

AZorin

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:47:09 am

Today we've launched the Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta. This release introduces a new lightweight desktop environment based on XFCE, powering a more familiar and consistent experience.
You can learn more about what's new here: http://zoringroup.com/blog/2017/06/12/z ... -for-lite/

You can download the Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta from here: https://zorinos.com/download/12/lite/beta/

We would love to hear your feedback on what we've created so far. Feel free to post here your thoughts from using the Beta, bug reports and suggestions of what you would like us to improve even further for the final release.

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:18:40 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for your good work in the release for Zorin OS 12.1 Lite beta.
After install and a few times restarted the os everything works splendid.

However there is one big problem, i can't have updates!
I change the update server from Belgium to mainserver but the problem remain.
I can't have updates

The reason is given: check your internet connection
But i have a good internet connection
What gould be the problem?

Hensyr Wolf

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:33:03 pm

Hi there me again,
I was to fast, the problem was on my computer.
The dns server was wrong and is been fixed.

Now i can have updates.

MBMz10

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:03:24 pm

Looks great as usual, just in a virtual machine so far but it was very snappy fast, I was impressed for a VM.
Only run it for about 10 or 15 minutes, boots up at around 380MB RAM. Looking forward to the other variants when they release.

rudolfus

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:43:16 pm

May I call it 'Zorin OS 12 Late'? I had a glimpse, tried it and went to the wired connection immediately to have this crucial test... and yes, what I feared and expected: No internet connection! On my multiboot 4 types of Linux share one internal and 2 external disks: Manjaro LXDE, Lubuntu 17.04, Zorin Os 9 Lite and MX-16.1. They all work perfectly. Not even a small hesitation. But all the Ubuntus (Mint, Bodhi... Zorin) from late 2016 on have the same problem on my computer: the internet connection doesn't work. And there is this other problem: Wine 1.6.2! I bag your pardon! Manjaro loads wine 2.8, the Debian built MX-16.1 is not that fast but comes with 2.3 already. 1.6.2 is an antiquity. I guess, I am more happy now with what I already have. Thank you for that.

MBMz10

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:13:55 am

Bug Report!

Cant access sound settings. Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta 64 bit

Clicking the sound/volume icon in the panel and choose sound settings nothing happens. I have sound in my VM, still no settings though and in a hardware install I have sound out via headphone socket but not HDMI and again can not access settings to change and same in live session mode.
Live session on an old laptop is same, sound via inbuilt speakers but no settings access.
Where sound is present rolling mouse wheel on icon or adjusting the slider works to change volume.

Edit: ran in terminal 'pavucontrol' and it opened the sound settings, made changes and now have HDMI sound but still unable to open sound settings from the sound icon on the panel.

MBMz10

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:31:35 am

Suggestion for final release. COMPIZ please.

Really missing the cube, expo and the other eyecandy as well as the functionality that these and other Compiz features give. I realise that Compiz may create extra overhead on a 'Lite' version so even if some way of installing/configuring or separate Desktop Environment to login to, even instructions how to do this would be good as each time I try I loose the awesome Zorin theming. This was what drew me to Zorin from version 8 and Ultimate user in 9 10 and 11. As Zorin was one of very few Disto's running Compiz it also set Zorin apart IMHO!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:03:35 pm

MBMz10 wrote:Suggestion for final release. COMPIZ please.

Really missing the cube, expo and the other eyecandy as well as the functionality that these and other Compiz features give. I realise that Compiz may create extra overhead on a 'Lite' version so even if some way of installing/configuring or separate Desktop Environment to login to, even instructions how to do this would be good as each time I try I loose the awesome Zorin theming. This was what drew me to Zorin from version 8 and Ultimate user in 9 10 and 11. As Zorin was one of very few Disto's running Compiz it also set Zorin apart IMHO!

You may like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIH8bDMbsHg

https://sourceforge.net/projects/makulu/files/Flash/

ian4238

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:53:29 pm

I ran this for about 2 hours from live DVD without any real problems, and speaking as a complete amateur, was quite impressed. I noticed I could not set the correct timezone - it was set to "etc/UTC". I suppose if the OS was installed it would automatically find my time zone anyway. I didn't check the 'sound' situation as I am a little deaf and didn't think of it. 'Settings' is pretty comprehensive compared to Ultimate. 'Software' took too long to pull up list of installed items, but again if installed I am sure it would be quick. A further minor annoyance was that when you hover the mouse over icons in the panel, you mostly don't get a description. After I opened Chromium and Geary a description popped up once then disappeared again. The exceptions were "Computer" and "Clock" where the description came up every time.
Another little quirk was with the Zorin Web Browser Manager, where the program opened at the bottom of the screen, and only the top three items could be seen. I looked to see if I could reposition it, but failed.
I like the new Lite. I have Linux Lite installed on my Notebook, and Zorin Ultimate on my desktop, but I find this new Zorin XFCE very likeable. When all the various little problems are sorted out, I may use this as my main operating system.

vamsi

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:17:46 pm

will i be able to update when final version releases by zorin from this beta version ?? :?: :?:

aberts10

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:36:09 pm

I was not thrilled with the release of Zorin OS 12, but i think that this XFCE release is very good. I have been running it in Virtualbox on ubuntu for about 10 minutes without any issues. It carries some of the essence of the older zorin releases, but with more stability. Great job.

LinuxNewcomer99

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01:56 pm

Great release. The only very minor thing which could be removed is the "Remove" button on the applets since if an "average user" were to install it and (heaven forbid) deletes an applet? They won't know how to add it back. Otherwise it's great.

mdiemer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:04:11 am

Just installed Z12 Lite. I tried Geary email and was amazed at how fast it opened. It leapt onto the page, complete with all my emails. Incredible. Love the Analog clock, that is a great option to have. Have already run update, no problems. Installed Firefox, no problems. Love the customization options. I went for the Windows 7 look. Like that shiny black start menu. Increased the panel size to 50. Also Icons (65 year old here, eyes not the best anymore).

Haven't found any problems yet, except, as has been noted, no sound settings. It's beautiful, fast and just damn good, to be blunt. Can't wait for the official release. My Ubuntu Mate partition will be in for some serious competition. I have always had trouble with full versions of Zorin, so I'm hoping this will work well on this machine. If so, it will probably become my preferred distro.

mdiemer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:59:04 am

How can I require a password at startup? I set it for automatic login during installation, to prevent any potential password issues. Now I would like to require my password, but I don't see a way to do this. There does not appear to be a privacy app in Settings.

mdiemer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:37:54 am

Okay, sound now working. I clicked on the sound icon in lower right corner,and this time the sound dialogue opened. What I really liked about it is that you can turn off the options you don't want, like onboard sound, in favor of an external interface. Or, even better, enable them all, but select one as default. I've never seen this in any Linux OS yet. It's wonderful. Thank You! This Zorin Lite is turning out to be a masterpiece in the making.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:07:18 pm

mdiemer wrote:How can I require a password at startup? I set it for automatic login during installation, to prevent any potential password issues. Now I would like to require my password, but I don't see a way to do this. There does not appear to be a privacy app in Settings.

Have you tried opening Settings and then Users and Groups? ;) :D

mdiemer

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:26:42 am

Yes, but I'm confused. I did set a password during installation, but allowed for automatic log in, to circumvent any problems that might occur with a beta. I don't need to log in when booting, it just starts up. When I go to Users, I see it set to ask my password at login, but that doesn't make sense, as I don't have to lg in.
But it doesn't really matter. I'll keep it this way for the beta. Meanwhile, Zorin Lite continues to be an absolute joy to use. I want the finished product tomorrow, but then I also don't want them to rush it! I want it to be the best OS out there, which I think it has a chance of being. Is it possible for a light version to actually be better than the full version? I don't know, but we may be about to find out.

MBMz10

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26:24 am

Updates came through, sound settings now working in Zorin OS 12 Lite.
Had to restart both hardware and VM for this to work but it works now.

MBMz10

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:36:12 am

Bug report.
Software centre is slow and inaccurate in Zorin OS 12 Lite. Have run software updater and updated system. Software centre still shows '1 update' but software updater says 'your system is up to date'. Software centre is 'updating' for over 30 minutes but still not finished...
I have restarted after running software updater but software manager is still the same. I recall similar in Zorin OS 12 core/ultimate.
Same on a VM or hardware install and when 'sources' is 'server for Australia' or 'Main server'.

limoeiro1

Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:30:03 am

I AM LIMEIRO ONE OF THE 1ST TO USE ZORIN OS . I don't remember the password of Limoeiro so I have created this user name limoeiro1. I come here to say my Opinion and It is EXTREMELY NEGATIVE....

First ... This is Zorin Lite not Zorin Core so why does it ahs so many freaking software? I don't want Libre Office, I don't want Gimp, I don't games games or Wine or zillion software blootware stufff.... If I wanted all that c*** I would have installed Zorin Core...

Second .. XFCE is freaking horrible.. annoying thing... THe minute I saw I couldn't put the pannel to the Top like I always do I was like .. creepy perverted XFCE c***... the screenschot utility is freaking annoying and absurd... It asks me if I want to save it and where and bla bla bla... it should be like zorin 9 lite where i just take a screenshot and it goes straight to the folder with the date and number ...

I tell you this.. Zorin 9 lite LXDE was freaking perfect... You don't change a thing that its perfect. Had the right software , the right size .. was lite and not heavy like this creepy XFCE is .. freaking heavy and full of software c***... WHY DO YOU CHANGE A THING THAT WAS PERFECT??? You know w3hat will happenn ?? The people who installed zorin 9 lite will not install this zorin 12 which isnt lite and will search for a Linux Distribution lite with LXDE and REALLY Lite....
I think Zorin has 2 core versions .. this one named zorin 12 lite but it is a core heavy version and the other zorin 12 core....

You ruined a fantastic version of Zorin with this XFCE creepy perverted stufff... Go back to LXDE .. If people want a core version they have already one Core Version... of Zorin 12...

I won't use this creepy version XFCE... I wish and desire the LXDE version... Was perfection !|!! 5 stars...and a really LITE version!!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53:47 am

limoeiro1 wrote:I AM LIMEIRO ONE OF THE 1ST TO USE ZORIN OS . I don't remember the password of Limoeiro so I have created this user name limoeiro1. I come here to say my Opinion and It is EXTREMELY NEGATIVE....

First ... This is Zorin Lite not Zorin Core so why does it ahs so many freaking software? I don't want Libre Office, I don't want Gimp, I don't games games or Wine or zillion software blootware stufff.... If I wanted all that c*** I would have installed Zorin Core...

Second .. XFCE is freaking horrible.. annoying thing... THe minute I saw I couldn't put the pannel to the Top like I always do I was like .. creepy perverted XFCE c***... the screenschot utility is freaking annoying and absurd... It asks me if I want to save it and where and bla bla bla... it should be like zorin 9 lite where i just take a screenshot and it goes straight to the folder with the date and number ...

I tell you this.. Zorin 9 lite LXDE was freaking perfect... You don't change a thing that its perfect. Had the right software , the right size .. was lite and not heavy like this creepy XFCE is .. freaking heavy and full of software c***... WHY DO YOU CHANGE A THING THAT WAS PERFECT??? You know w3hat will happenn ?? The people who installed zorin 9 lite will not install this zorin 12 which isnt lite and will search for a Linux Distribution lite with LXDE and REALLY Lite....
I think Zorin has 2 core versions .. this one named zorin 12 lite but it is a core heavy version and the other zorin 12 core....

You ruined a fantastic version of Zorin with this XFCE creepy perverted stufff... Go back to LXDE .. If people want a core version they have already one Core Version... of Zorin 12...

I won't use this creepy version XFCE... I wish and desire the LXDE version... Was perfection !|!! 5 stars...and a really LITE version!!

I have to disagree with your outpouring of hate of XFCE - the problem with Lubuntu on which previous versions of Zorin were based had a limited timescale, with LTS maxing out at 3 years tops.

XFCE can be made to look just as good as LXDE - I like both LXDE and XFCE but Lubuntu is not the way forward - XFCE can become a 'roll-over' DE if applied as SolydX community have done - and don't forget Jacque Raymer's Makulu Flash running XFCE and Compiz! Don't forget users of older kit will need XFCE with a version of Office that will run with Accessibility Software - only LibreOffice meets that criteria. Zorin made a great choice of moving to XFCE for sustainability reasons - remember Zorin comprised just the Zorin brothers and 2 full-time devs.

Let's agree to disagree! ;) :D

mdiemer

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:00:18 pm

I agree, the move to Xfce makes "perfect" sense. I couldn't even tell the difference at first. Except that this is the fastest Zorin I have had on this computer. Fastest to boot, open email. etc. Very smooth. No problems with updates so far. All I can say is, everyone's computer is different. It may be that yours just doesn't "like" this edition of Zorin. In my case, every other edition of Zorin had problems on my computer. And it's possible this one may also, but it hasn't happened yet. I am really looking forward to the official release. I agree that Zorin 9 was a fantastic distro, but of course time moves on, we can't expect the Zorin team to stay with 9 forever! I suggest you give it a chance, you may surprise yourself.

mdiemer

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:47:34 am

Just a status report. Zorin Lite continues to work flawlessly for me. It is a joy to use.

MBMz10

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:52:34 am

Bug Report!
Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta 64 bit

The weather applet in the xfce panel does not work, have tried several different locations around the world, Melbourne Australia, Paris France, Paris Canada for example.
I suspect that this is an xfce issue as it stopped working on my Linux Mint 18 xfce (64bit) install on another machine that it was previously working on but thought I would make mention of it here also.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:25:19 am

MBMz10 wrote:Bug Report!

The weather applet in the xfce panel does not work, have tried several different locations around the world, Melbourne Australia, Paris France, Paris Canada for example.
I suspect that this is an xfce issue as it stopped working on my Linux Mint 18 xfce (64bit) install on another machine that it was previously working on but thought I would make mention of it here also.

Hi, I had issues with Weather in Ultimate - I now use gnome shell extension with openweathermap - it would appear that with most weather apps these days you have to register your email for a free geolocation code in order to access the data. ;) :D

MBMz10

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:56:30 am

Weather in Zorin 12 Lite works for me and today I downloaded and installed Zorin OS 12.1 Ultimate (64bit) into a VM and it is also working. Agree about registering for many to work, think I did this for the Gnome Extension in 12 Ultimate some time ago.

mdiemer

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:55:16 pm

Yep, just installed Weather app, it works.

Hensyr Wolf

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:00:53 pm

@mdiemer,
Hi there,
how did you install the weather app?

mdiemer

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:21:34 am

I installed it from the software center. It's the one called simply "weather."

mdiemer

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:34:08 pm

The latest update to Zorin Lite is stalling for some reason. I shut down and restarted, and tried it again, but still it stalls about halfway through. The good news is that is the only real issue I've had with this beta. Only to be expected, and better to get it sorted out now rather than later.

mdiemer

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35:52 pm

Update problem solved. I had gotten a pop-up when trying to update, which said something was broken. It advised I disable third-party updates, and run <apt-get install -f>. I disabled proprietary drivers and restricted or copyrighted updates, then ran the command, which did a bunch of stuff. When it finished, I tried updating again and this time it worked. I needed to restart computer and now it's actually running better!

MBMz10

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:58:58 am

Not sure if it is an issue/bug but my software sources (main server) had 3 x 'Recommended updates' and 3 x 'Source code' below in "Other Software" tab.

Edit:
Just scrolled down and same for 'Important security updates'.

rainfactor

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:05:58 pm

Hi

I have installed it but when rebooting i got a grub screen, I guess it got confused and didn't install

Anyone had this and how can i boot it normally?

Thank you

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:40:06 pm

MBMz10 wrote:Zorin OS 12 Lite Beta 64 bit
Not sure if it is an issue/bug but my software sources (main server) had 3 x 'Recommended updates' and 3 x 'Source code' below in "Other Software" tab.

Edit:
Just scrolled down and same for 'Important security updates'.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this in Core/Ultimate before and think it might be an Ubuntu bug with that part of the system. Rightly or wrongly in the past I have deleted the ones below the first instance but will check further so don't do anything yet

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:42:10 pm

rainfactor wrote:Hi

I have installed it but when rebooting i got a grub screen, I guess it got confused and didn't install

Anyone had this and how can i boot it normally?

Thank you

Hi can you please repost in the Installation section of the forum as this thread is for feedback on the installed OS. Thanks.

MBMz10

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:47:29 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen this in Core/Ultimate before and think it might be an Ubuntu bug with that part of the system. Rightly or wrongly in the past I have deleted the ones below the first instance but will check further so don't do anything yet

I already deleted them (bottom two) and sure I have seen same in the past with OS 9 10 11 also. Its a beta on my 'shed' PC and thats why I have a shed, to break stuff, I think that's what a shed is for...

cpufixup

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15:26 pm

Feedback

The first thing I noticed was that the details section on the settings was gone. I would really like to have that if possible. The overall look is nice and very similar to the other versions of 12.1
it runs well with only 512MB of RAM. (32-bit)

Bug?
I tried to install adobe flash player from the official adobe site. When I clicked download, after selecting APT for deb/ubuntu, it asks what program I want to use. It only lists the software program. but when I use it, It says "oops, that didn't work"
I was able to install from tar.gz but wanted to point out the issue.

Keep up to great work guys, I appreciate all you do! :D

Hank Quinlan

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:36:14 pm

Hello,
some feedback. I attempted to install OS 12 lite Beta on an ancient custom computer with no luck
- AMD Athlon XP @ 1.1ghz
- 1 gig ram
- Asus A7n8x2 motherboard

I tried install from optical drive, it stalled at the welcome screen "install Zorin OS 12 Lite, test memory, etc"

It just said, "no text" for all the F key options on the bottom of the screen.

I tried two different burns of the .iso file and checked the hash so i don't think that was the problem.

I was also successful with Lubuntu, puppylinux, and linuxlite on the same machine.

Anyways, not a complaint, just some feedback.

Keep up the good work. I use 12 core on my main laptop as my daily driver and really like it.

Thank You.

SleepyD

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:11:31 am

Hi. I am loving Zorin OS 12 Lite beta. It is very stable. I think I like this better than the regular Zorin OS 12. Gnome 3 can be a little flaky. I haven't tried it in a while to see if the extensions hold in the Gnome desktop after switching back to it from a different version. I'm glad to hear you will be releasing an Education version of the Lite. I think I will get a pay version to install on a friend's sons PC. Keep up the great work.

SleepyD

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:36:13 pm

I have one thing I would like to see in Zorin OS 12 Lite. Can you possibly add a favorites area to the menu? I miss that from the Whisker Menu. I just may have use the Whisker Menu. I really like what you have done though with the Zorin Menu Lite. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:51:30 pm

Finally got round to adding Beta iso 32-bit version to my MultiSystem boot USB thumb drive - very fast in operation; my only personal issue is with xfce Settings Manager - and I thought learning about 'dConf Editor' was hard! :lol:
Concerned to see that there is no Screen Reader (Orca) present. But here are a couple of YouTube shots in Chrome of me as it were listening to THYX 'Forgotten' from their 'Super Vision' album:

ZorinLiteG.jpg

ZorinLiteH.jpg

The screenshot application was another issue in that saving as .jpgs did not reduce their size - had to use Gimp to rescale and export lower resolution which was a bit of a disappointment compared to the Core/Ultimate versions that do that for you.

Now what just freaked me out was that I ran Printers and the Canon All-in-One was showing instantly!! Spoooooky!

Simple Scan did not work - suspect as in Core will have to download the GNU/Linux package from Canon to get the Scanner working as I had to in Ultimate.

MBMz10

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:45:14 am

Swarfendor437, curious why you used the beta seeing as the main release has been out for some time now?
Also in your second screen shot, the tray/notification/clock area the icons appear like there in 2 rows, how you do that?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36:06 pm

Hi, I downloaded both 32-bit and 64-bit betas and had not had the time to play with either until the posting you referred to. All I did to get the panel systray icons to be double row was increase the pixel height of the icons on the panel but there is also a setting for how many rows if memory serves correctly but I did not touch that setting, just the panel/icon height bit. ;) :D