This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Bind windows key to start menu. Zorin lite

m.dossantos

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:11:30 am

Hello friends:

I recently installed Zorin Lite in my netbook, and i found a problem i'd like you to help me solve... when i push de "windows key" nothing happens, and i think it would be very usefull if that key, when pushed, would open the START MENU on the bottom left side of the screen. ¿How can i make this happen?

Thanks.

PS: It is not gnome desktop... it's LXDE.

madvinegar

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:49:26 pm

It can be done with Alt+F1.

The windows key is usefull if you have the compiz settings enabled. i.e. Super Key+tab lays out your open windows for you to choose... It's great.

m.dossantos

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:27:15 pm

I'm sorry... i pressed Alt+F1 like you said and nothing happens...

madvinegar

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:04:23 pm

hmmm... Probably it's not enabled in the lite versions...(?)

Can you find in the control panel the "keyboard shortcuts"? (or through system>preferences>keyboard shortcuts)

Wolfman

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44:43 pm

Hi,

did you download the latest "TEST" version of Zorin lite??, if you did, there a number of things missing including the "Control Center", you will have to look through the available packages and see if you can download any tools that may be available.

If you have problems with the LXDE desktop, might I be so bold as to suggest you look at the Lubuntu website as they would have far more answers for you there!!.

You can start here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

Regards Wolfman :D

m.dossantos

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:42:20 pm

thanks a lot... and if anyone knows about a package to configure keyboard shortcuts in lxde desktop, it would be welcome.

m.dossantos

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:03:26 pm

Thank you guys!! this is the solution:

1) Search for a file named "lubuntu-rc.xml". Remember, it's a hidden file. It'll be located in a folder called ".config/openbox"

2) Edit the file (with any text editor). Search for this part:
<keybind key="C-Escape"><action name="Execute"><command>lxpanelctl menu</command></action></keybind>

3) Replace the words "C-Escape" with "Super_L". Like this:
<keybind key="Super_L"><action name="Execute"><command>lxpanelctl menu</command></action></keybind>

4) Save the changes, log out and log back in.

5) What you just did, is to bind the "windows key" to the start menu (which untill now was opened with Ctrl + Esc keys).

Thanks again!

PS: i found the solution in an ubuntu forum, just as our friend Wolfman suggested... http://askubuntu.com/questions/79557/bi ... start-menu

Wolfman

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:17:25 am

Great stuff!!:D