This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12.2 Education (Full) 32-bit

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27:20 pm

Had some interesting issues while trying to install to a Dell D830 Latitude Notebook with Centrino processor - keep seeing messages about i915 missing hardware in kernel. Having looked on Ask Ubuntu following a search on the issue it merely states only an issue if in respect of a Kirby Lake processor. My other discovery of late is that if you install a windows exe on one user account you have to install it separately on another user account - it is not machine wide which is a bit of a pain! Also I installed Hacneyed-64x64 mouse cursor in Icons of usr | share folder and it is not working! Notice on my machine at home the folder has an 'index.theme' file not present on the one at work so wondering if this is why the large cursor is not working. Now all I need to figure out is how to get the cursor also showing on the login screen as Notebooks intended for students with poor vision. :(

MBMz10

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:53:54 am

Not being up to date with hardware so did a few searches to get an idea of the age of this machine, around 10 years or so, circa 2007 about the same as my hp compaq 6910p with similar specs. I got no result at all after several searches for Kirby Lake, interesting.
Mine is running the Lite version and have not installed the 'Full' (Core/Ultimate/Education etc) on it but have used Core in live mode on it. Lite runs fine with no know issues for about a month now. No errors installing it just works from my perspective.

I take it that it is working satisfactory but your just surprised about the errors? I found a post about upgrading from from 15.04 to 16.04 and causing problems until they went from kernel 4.4..... to 4.5.1 see here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/766931/ ... rce-driver and from what I gather some of the machines seem to have dual graphics??? and something from the later kernel drivers needing to be backported to the earlier. I am almost tempted to put old HDD in mine and install Core just to see what happens :D

Regarding the Windows exe, I take it this is something you do regularly without having said problem? Likely same for the mouse cursor issue?
I dont run any Windows apps but the theme/cursor issue, I have put themes into /usr/share/themes/ with mixed results, now just put them into my .themes folder seems to work with themes that I know have worked on that OS, be it Zorin Mint etc. I noticed you state you put it into usr | share folder, does it normally work there or should it be in themes folder?

My machines are all single user, just my account but I imagine yours (at work) have multiple users. I'm sort of thinking on the fly picking your brain and comparing to my own experiences at the same time as I started experimenting with themes and had similar frustrations.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20:24 pm

Hi, Its not a hybrid graphics, it appears to be all Intel (Centrino Processor) and on checking whether it would support 64-bit found that it doesn't - very sluggish compared to Samsung P530 which was sluggish with Windows 7 on. The Windows .exe is for youngsters to learn to touch type (Type Faster Accessible) from Source Forge (it is open source, circa 2002/2005). Ironically on a 32-bit Samsung, the program does not work well in 32-bit Windows, but on 64-bit Zorin running in Wine and now being able to run from the desktop, it's fine.
As regards the theme it relates to the cursor:

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13349

This is the i915 issue I was referring to:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/811453/ ... mfs#811487

which was reported during install plus unable to find something ext# on SCA3 whatever that meant when I expanded the installer window (the bit under the progress line during install - if you click on the arrow head it drops to reveal what is going on script wise).