This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12.2 Tutorials

JeffK969

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35:24 pm

Hello,
As someone who has come to the Linux world being I wanted to get away from MS/Windows (been using some open source software for years now) I recently installed Linux Mint on my old vista desk top and it worked so well that I wanted to see what else I could use. It came down to Zorin 12.2 and Chalet OS. I paid and went with Zorin, and installed it over my windows 10 Dell Inspiron 3847. So being a Noob, and not to familiar with linux (maybe I should have waited to delete Win10....nahhhhh) I have been struggling to learn. Mint I found easier than Zorin. I seen that Chalet has Starting Point, what does Zorin have??? I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining, trust me I'm not, I want to learn, get away from the windows world, but yet want to be functional and do my almost daily tasks. I chose Zorin 12.2 after reading many reviews. It says it is a great replacement for Windows, but I'm having no luck finding tutorials and such on how to use. It there a place to go and watch tutorials, learn the differences in terminology. ie: Packages vs Programs. Basic questions like, Mint has Synaptic Package manager, does Zorin. Is it hidden somewhere? I've searched and what Ive found does note apply to 12.2. Heck, even hitting the space bar typing this puts "C's" in my sentences. I want to change my start-up screen from dark to light, can't find anything current for 12.2.

I guess what I'm asking is, where can I find help, learn? Maybe since Zorin wants Windows refugees such as myself and boast it's a windows alternative, would it be too much to ask for a "Starting Point" webpage or something to help new users learn and stay with Zorin? Maybe a page explaining what the installed packages are and what they do? I know this is't mint but their terms seemed more straight forward and easier to learn. Heck, after all I did pay to get the best version and can't ask for a refund after making the 'donation'.

Any positive help, suggestions I would find very useful. Trust me, I want to learn and have the ability to. I'm staying with linux, no more Windows world for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Jeff

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:55:57 pm

Hi Jeff,

Yes Zorin 12 had me complaining from day 1 - no Synaptic Package Manager, no dconf-editor, and no GDebi package installer for third party debian packages.

Please take a look at my post install 'bit-by-bit' guide to Zorin 12 here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12462

I will get around to doing a manual at some point but not at present. ;) :D

Also, check out my videos here:

https://vimeo.com/219218718

https://vimeo.com/219222247

https://vimeo.com/222391756

JeffK969

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:46:58 am

Thank You Swarfendor... I hope you're paid by Zorin for this help...lol Sincerely, I do appreciate your response and also for the links. I kind of get the feeling your helping others based upon your own experiences and maybe frustration. I don't want to get into a debate like the person who discussed about the marketing on a previous forum post, lol, but I feel after looking at all the reviews on Zorin, they focus on getting people in to just leave them on their own. I'm most likely wrong on that, or at least I hope I am, but it seems to me to attract new users, and paid users for that matter, that there would be a focus on education and helping the new user. It shouldn't be up to a dedicated users.

After I posted earlier I was thinking I will install Chalet and then load up Zorin in a dual boot. That way I can do what I have to do and when I have the time, learn Zorin. As well as Mint, Chalet... I just need to get comfortable on one system before I explore... But again, Thank You. BTW, I've played a BoW too.. Fun game....

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00:59 pm

Talking of other distros you should take a look at Makulu Linux which is a hybrid of Linux Mint 'Sarah' and Debian. ;) :D

MBMz10

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:02:12 am

Welcome to the Zorin forum JeffK969.
Regarding installing Chalet with Zorin, now that your committed after wiping your Windows you are in deep already so as they say, dive in the deep end and swim like hell, or bite off more than you can chew and chew like crazy :lol:

I went a similar route to yourself but weaned myself off Windows for about a year until there was only one app that I used it for, once I figured that one out it was bye bye Billy. I used Linux Mint until I stumbled upon Zorin version 8. I didn't like version 12 other than the Lite edition of which I have on two machines and a few PC's with Linux Mint Mate 18.1.

Once you get past the terminology differences much of Linux is rather similar to Windows for everyday things like web, email changing wallpaper and the like, just don't go looking for C:\ Drive. :oops: or the task bar...
A few weeks and you'll be off and running OK then deal with the other things that come up one by one from there.

As far as items such as Synaptic, it is my belief that Zorin don't include tools like it and others, in an attempt to simplify new 'refugees' experience, rather than confuse them about which one does what. I wondered what it was (Synaptic) when I first started using Mint. Software Manager, Synaptic???? However because of other tools like the Zorin Look Changer and Browser Manager being sort of one click nice and simple to get people into a somewhat familiar environment being present, I drew this conclusion.
In some ways, having used Mint your almost having to do a back step again, if that makes sense! If your refugee boat drifted onto Zorin shores before Mint you would never had know about it perhaps ;)

As far as getting help in the future goes there are people on this forum willing to help as you have already discovered and I have never seen a forum user criticised or belittled for any question they have asked so I would say to you no matter how you may feel about asking what seems like a dumb or noob question if you can't find the answer via searching (I never can) just ask it. Just yesterday I lost my Menu Bar from the file manager and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it back as there was no 'menu' :oops: It's Ctrl + m BTW

One other thing, most questions seem to answered within 24 hours from my experience and often sooner. Swarfendor437 is usually on to it (Blue Jewels to you). I am in the land down under so sometimes things have come and gone before I even know it due to the time zone differences :D

And if you ever think you miss Windows, just go to a friends house when Windows is updating, get them to call you when it starts updating, do your shopping and have a coffee as well before you rush over, don't worry you won't miss a thing!

See ya around the forum!

ian4238

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:29:38 am

Hi Jeff
I see you didn't get a direct answer to your queries. I have been using Zorin for a few years, and have made a point of buying their Ultimate systems, so as to get immediate help when necessary. Of course this area is also a great help. Did you install Zorin 12.2 Core (uses Gnome) or Zorin 12.2 Lite (uses XFCE). The latter is quicker but perhaps more basic. I have one desktop PC with 12.2 Ultimate, and one with 12.2 Lite which I prefer. My Notebook has Zorin Lite dual-booted with Linux Lite, but use this only when travelling.

Why did you want Synaptic? If you open your Start Menu, and go to "Software" (on the right-hand side), you will find almost all the programs you can want. When you first start, this may not work until you have installed all available updates. So first thing to do is:
1. Start menu> Settings> Software Updater Click and it will look for available updates, and maybe ask for your password, and then install them. By the way "Software & Updates" is different, and covers the subject more generally, but you shouldn't need to change anything there.
2. Start menu> Software> look through the headings for any programs that interest you. Click and they will get installed. These come complete with everything to make them work like Windows apps.
3. Start Menu> Settings> Zorin Appearance to see what you want to change, if anything.
4. If you want a different browser, go to: Start menu> Internet> Zorin Web Browser Manager> choose Firefox if you want. I prefer it to Chromium. I also use "Thunderbird" for emails, so I can access them on either PC or notebook.
I hope this helps you a bit. I'm sure you won't regret it if you persevere with Zorin.

ian4238

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:44:43 am

Hi Jeff
I just re-read you original bit - I see you paid for the Ultimate version. If you go to the Zorin OS webpage, you will find "Help". At the very bottom is an area for help from the Zorin Team.
Regarding the "CCCC" instead of spaces, better ask them. I think it is connected with which version of English your keyboard uses. When you say "Start up screen" I'm not sure which screen you mean.

JeffK969

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47:04 pm

Thank You all for your useful help and guidance. After trying Zorin Ultimate without success and having to limit my Linux learning to Mint (after Chalet seemed to have faded away off to what-if-ville), I'm happy to say after a long year I'm back. Just installed Zorin Lite-32Bit on my Dell Latitude D630. (My original ultimate ISO somehow doesn't work and is of no use). But for those of you that know the hassles with Linux and the older Dell Laptops would have to agree the Core Lite route is the way to go.. Like so many had the no wifi issue (fixed). But the install itself actually went well. No just have to fix the long boot time and shutdown times (drm_helper errors). Thanks to Swarfendor437s 'Unofficial User Manual', I feel a lot more comfortable now trying Zorin.... BTW, any advise on how to get a copy of the Ultimate 12.2 ISO again without paying...? Would like to put back on my other desktop... C U on the forums....

zorinantwerp

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30:27 pm

Hi, nice story on linux learning curve :)

JeffK969 wrote: BTW, any advise on how to get a copy of the Ultimate 12.2 ISO again without paying...? Would like to put back on my other desktop...

if you have kept the original download link you can download it again and again. if not then goto 'Zorin Blog ' and find the form to contact developers directly.
https://zorinos.com/help/zorin-premium-support/

+++

JeffK969

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:01:25 am

Thank You Very, Very much Zorinantwerp... I send an email and in no time I received a link, and after spending a few weeks learning how to dual boot with Mint, I'm now back and learning Zorin...
I like that it's different then Mint, so I'm learning more... Just have to retain the knowledge...haha.. And learn how to adjust my icon size. They are too big...

But that's why I'm back in the forums...

Thanks again..

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:05:49 pm

And now the [unofficial] manual is almost complete:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13614

Hopefully should answer a few of your original questions. ;) :D

zabadabadoo

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:13:19 pm

JeffK969 wrote: And learn how to adjust my icon size. They are too big...

@Jeff,
I just stumbled upon this thread. I have been looking for a way to reduce screen icon size but found no easy way. There is an easy way to increase size but that is not the aim. If you have found a simple solution, let us know.
Thanks.

zorinantwerp

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05:04 pm

Hi

mastering the new release of Zorin takes all our attention but (perhaps) on 'icons too big' undernoted might help
Code:
https://www.fossmint.com/topicons-plus-display-gnome-icons-in-the-top-panel/

keep an eye on developments :)