This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation Help Asus X550VQ on SanDisk Ultra Fit

LC NOoSE IV

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:32:06 pm

Hey, I'm trying to install my 12.2 Zorin OS Ultimate onto a usb thumb drive (128GB SanDisk Ultra Fit) using the only computer I have (Asus X550VQ) and it won't create the partitions, it keeps saying it failed to create the swap or root or whatever when I try to partition them. To install them using my computer I have to delete "quiet" and replace it with "nouveau.modeset=0" on the command line before running the installer because linux always gets stuck on the boot screen and that solved it (I was told it was a gpu conflict with the 900 mobile series nvidia cards. So partition wise on the thumb drive I make a 20GB root at the begining, the swap at the end (I have 8GB of ram so I tried all different sizes of swap, from 2GB to 4GB to 8GB to 16GB), and the home took all the rest in the middle. If you need more info I'll give to y'all and btw I'm a noob at linux.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:59:49 pm

Hi, if you want to share, can you please post in the How-to's section of the forum. Another way you could have done it as your Notebook has an Optical Drive (having looked on the Asus Website) You could have created a MultiSystem USB memory stick by running MultiSystem Live DVD:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/multisystem/files/iso/

LC NOoSE IV

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:06:37 pm

My 550 doesn't have an optical drive, I think if you get the version with the dedicated gpu it can't fit the drive.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:44:12 am

Do you have access to an external Optical drive via USB? You only need to connect one connector - not the 'tail' usb piece, or borrow one? ;)

LC NOoSE IV

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29:35 am

No :/

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:00:48 pm