This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] NEW to Zorin OS (have questions)

chacyung

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:44:55 pm

Hi
I just built my 5th PC, and decided for the first time, I would try something other then windows.

So I talked to a guy at my job who loves his Linux, and told him about this one.
Unfortunately that conversation only brought up more questions.
So maybe someone here can help me...
Please and Thank You

So just for confirmation:
The Zorin OS is the "shell" built on the Ubuntu version,
It uses Unity (instead of Gnome or KDE)
And has Nautilus (instead of say dolphin)

I'm I right?

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:36:02 pm

You are partially correct. Zorin OS 12.x is based of the LTS of Ubuntu 16.04 and is Zorin's first ever 'rolling-release', so as updates to the Ubuntu LTS come through ZorinOS 12 will do likewise but in such a way to maintain stability of the OS. No, Zorin does NOT use Unity! It uses Gnome Shell (Gnome3), with a custom Panel that they have developed - see here for all the Gnome Shell Extensions named Zorin:

Zorin extensions.jpg

The sad thing is they don't include 'gnome-tweak-tool' by default - please read the unofficial guide I created for more information:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13614

Yes it does use Nautilus but if you prefer you could have:

Thunar:

Thunar file manager.jpg

or Krusader:

Krusader.jpg

of a 'terminal' style file manager:

http://www.elinuxbook.com/install-midni ... ntu-16-04/

Whatever you do, NEVER remove Nautilus or you break the system - just add a different file manager and make it the default application - again, refer to the manual. ;) :D

chacyung

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:07:18 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You are partially correct. Zorin OS 12.x is based of the LTS of Ubuntu 16.04 and is Zorin's first ever 'rolling-release', so as updates to the Ubuntu LTS come through ZorinOS 12 will do likewise but in such a way to maintain stability of the OS. No, Zorin does NOT use Unity! It uses Gnome Shell (Gnome3), with a custom Panel that they have developed - see here for all the Gnome Shell Extensions named Zorin:

The sad thing is they don't include 'gnome-tweak-tool' by default - please read the unofficial guide I created for more information:

Thunar: or Krusader:
(of a 'terminal' style file manager)

Whatever you do, NEVER remove Nautilus or you break the system - just add a different file manager and make it the default application - again, refer to the manual. ;) :D

Thank you for all the explanation. (will read the guide ASAP)
Knowing that Zorin uses Gnome is a releaf. That just means that I have one less thing to test out.
(sence my co-worker says that Gnome is the best, In his opinion anyway)
Why not stick with what's already there, if it's "the best" ? LOL

I've never heard of "Thunar, or Krusader"
But I did read this article on "Nautilus vs Dolphin"
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/which-lin ... r-dolphin/
I liked how they said Dolphin had more customizable options, but...
I was wondering what your opinion on the subject is?

What do you think? (Nautilus vs Dolphin)
And if I install Dolphin and set to "default" , will I still be able to get and use the Zorin OS Updates?

chacyung

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:59:38 pm

Also, would you be so kind as to add some explanation to page 7 of your guide.
As apparently I have been mis-understanding the concept of an extented partition this entire time.

Page 7: Basic manual formatting and installation:
1. One Primary partition, formatted to Ext4 FS (File System) to hold the ‘root’ system - ‘/’ - 30 Gb or 30720 Mib should be more than adequate.
2. An extended partition after the Primary, at the END of which you create a ‘swap area’ equivalent to the amount of Physical Memory you have installed in your machine. No need to specify a file system as due to the very nature of creating a ‘swap area’ it knows what to do.
3. Whatever is left at the start of the Extended partition, format to Ext4, and mark it as ‘/home’ - this is where all your Personal Files (and other users ‘/home’ folders) will reside, including any Windows applications in the hidden ‘.wine’ folder.
4. If you are installing to a complex OS structure, you may need to create a ‘/boot’ partition of 512 Mb BEFORE the ‘/’ partition – as this is where you will store GRUB if you intend to use the ‘non-traditional method’ using EasyBCD (the free one) from NeoSmart Technologies (https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/). It (‘/boot’) is also useful on Asus eeePc’s that had the 10 Gb split SSD where Windows could not be put on the larger part – well you can with GNU/Linux!

Now for example, when I was setting up my 1TB HDD.
I formatted a 300GB primary partition at the start of the drive. (to be my C drive)
Immediately after it, I created a "swap area" (not inside an extended partition) of 5GB
(simply because I was told I needed one, not because I actually understood why)
And then simply intended to use the rest of my approx. 600GB of free space to format 2 additional partitions.
(both to be used like sepparate drives, one of which as a shared folder to the 2 WinXP machines still in the network)

But obviously knowing how to build a windows machine doesn't mean that I know anything about linux...
Please explain what I did wrong V_V (and why)

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:16:00 am

chacyung wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:You are partially correct. Zorin OS 12.x is based of the LTS of Ubuntu 16.04 and is Zorin's first ever 'rolling-release', so as updates to the Ubuntu LTS come through ZorinOS 12 will do likewise but in such a way to maintain stability of the OS. No, Zorin does NOT use Unity! It uses Gnome Shell (Gnome3), with a custom Panel that they have developed - see here for all the Gnome Shell Extensions named Zorin:

Thunar: or Krusader:
(of a 'terminal' style file manager)

Thank you for all the explanation. (will read the guide ASAP)
Knowing that Zorin uses Gnome is a releaf. That just means that I have one less thing to test out.
(sence my co-worker says that Gnome is the best, In his opinion anyway)
Why not stick with what's already there, if it's "the best" ? LOL

I've never heard of "Thunar, or Krusader"
But I did read this article on "Nautilus vs Dolphin"
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/which-lin ... r-dolphin/
I liked how they said Dolphin had more customizable options, but...
I was wondering what your opinion on the subject is?

What do you think? (Nautilus vs Dolphin)
And if I install Dolphin and set to "default" , will I still be able to get and use the Zorin OS Updates?

I was never sure if it was installable on earlier versions of Zorin, but I am pleased to say it is in the Software channel, so by all means use that - I will also add it in the Manual too! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:18:34 am

chacyung wrote:Also, would you be so kind as to add some explanation to page 7 of your guide.
As apparently I have been mis-understanding the concept of an extented partition this entire time.

Page 7: Basic manual formatting and installation:
1. One Primary partition, formatted to Ext4 FS (File System) to hold the ‘root’ system - ‘/’ - 30 Gb or 30720 Mib should be more than adequate.
2. An extended partition after the Primary, at the END of which you create a ‘swap area’ equivalent to the amount of Physical Memory you have installed in your machine. No need to specify a file system as due to the very nature of creating a ‘swap area’ it knows what to do.
3. Whatever is left at the start of the Extended partition, format to Ext4, and mark it as ‘/home’ - this is where all your Personal Files (and other users ‘/home’ folders) will reside, including any Windows applications in the hidden ‘.wine’ folder.
4. If you are installing to a complex OS structure, you may need to create a ‘/boot’ partition of 512 Mb BEFORE the ‘/’ partition – as this is where you will store GRUB if you intend to use the ‘non-traditional method’ using EasyBCD (the free one) from NeoSmart Technologies (https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/). It (‘/boot’) is also useful on Asus eeePc’s that had the 10 Gb split SSD where Windows could not be put on the larger part – well you can with GNU/Linux!

Now for example, when I was setting up my 1TB HDD.
I formatted a 300GB primary partition at the start of the drive. (to be my C drive)
Immediately after it, I created a "swap area" (not inside an extended partition) of 5GB
(simply because I was told I needed one, not because I actually understood why)
And then simply intended to use the rest of my approx. 600GB of free space to format 2 additional partitions.
(both to be used like sepparate drives, one of which as a shared folder to the 2 WinXP machines still in the network)

But obviously knowing how to build a windows machine doesn't mean that I know anything about linux...
Please explain what I did wrong V_V (and why)

Hi, there is no 'C' drive in GNU/Linux - it is '/' or 'root' partition. Basically manual installation of GNU/Linux is the best method. And not really clear if your 1 TB drive is just for Windows? ;) :D

chacyung

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:58:02 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
chacyung wrote:ME BEING STUPID, LOL

Hi, there is no 'C' drive in GNU/Linux - it is '/' or 'root' partition. Basically manual installation of GNU/Linux is the best method. And not really clear if your 1 TB drive is just for Windows? ;) :D

OK, Let me try to be a little more specific.

==================================================

YOU = [1. One Primary partition, formatted to Ext4 FS (File System) to hold the ‘root’ system - ‘/’ - 30 Gb or 30720 Mib should be more than adequate.]

ME = I created a primary partition, formatted to Ext4 FS for "root" or "/" (I set it to 300GB)

Explanation = I didn't know I could sepparate "root" from "home" into sepparate partitions.
That's like splitting up the "windows" and "documents and settings" folders on a windows machine to sepparate partitions. It can't be done in windows, so I didn't even think of it.

YOU = [2. An extended partition after the Primary, at the END of which you create a ‘swap area’ equivalent to the amount of Physical Memory you have installed in your machine.]

ME = I created no secondary "extended" partition, JUST a "swap area" of only 5GB because I didn't know what it was for.

AND = when you said "equivalent to the amount of Physical Memory you have installed in your machine" did you mean the remaining HDD space after the primary partition? or the amount of RAM in the build?

YOU = [Whatever is left at the start of the Extended partition, format to Ext4, and mark it as ‘/home’ - this is where all your Personal Files (and other users ‘/home’ folders) will reside, including any Windows applications in the hidden ‘.wine’ folder.]

ME = again, I didn't know that splitting "root" from "home" was possible. So no "extended partition" just a 300GB primary partition.

And I'm not doing a dual-boot system, this is going to be a Linux Build only.
I only meant that the unused space on the HDD (after the 300GB primary and the 5GB swap file) was going to be used AS a shared folder, on a home network with windows machines (using Samba to network them together of course)

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not used to Linux/windows terminology translations

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:01:52 am

OK, Now I know what your intentions are:

Firstly, manual partitioning is better, particular with regard to shared data - that partition could be formatted to NTFS as Zorin can access NTFS partitions as it has ntfs3g readily built in since Zorin 7:

https://vimeo.com/78665951

So,

1. Create 30 Gb root partition, marked as '/'

2. Extended partition for /home ans swap area

3. Logical Partition, formatted for NTFS to share data. ;) :D

Oh, I tried Dolphin and it does not work well in Zorin 12 - the only icons I could see were my LibreOffice ones in Document folder - I could see the text of the files but not the icons. :(

chacyung

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:13:07 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, Now I know what your intentions are:

Firstly, manual partitioning is better, particular with regard to shared data - that partition could be formatted to NTFS as Zorin can access NTFS partitions as it has ntfs3g readily built in since Zorin 7: https://vimeo.com/78665951 , So,

1. Create 30 Gb root partition, marked as '/'
2. Extended partition for /home ans swap area
3. Logical Partition, formatted for NTFS to share data. ;) :D

Oh, I tried Dolphin and it does not work well in Zorin 12 - the only icons I could see were my LibreOffice ones in Document folder - I could see the text of the files but not the icons. :(

Thanks for the warning about dolphin...
I wouldn't want to install something only to find out it didn't work.
Uninstalling stuff and worrying about having leftovers still in the system
triggers my OCD and makes me want to reinstall all over again.

So as I'm understanding it...
30GB is all I'll need for the OS and Linux programs themselves,
The extended partition will contain everything else (personal files and swap area) ,
And the Logical Drive for the "shared folder" partition. LOL

BUT I do have 1 more question.
How big should the swap area be?

(please and thank you so much) ^^;

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:34:08 pm

If you intend to install a raft of applications other than those that come with Zorin, then you could make it 50 Gb if that would make you happier (50 x 1024 to get the precise allocation).

As for swap size, this should match the amount of physical RAM in your machine. ;) :D

chacyung

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02:16 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:If you intend to install a raft of applications other than those that come with Zorin, then you could make it 50 Gb if that would make you happier (50 x 1024 to get the precise allocation).

As for swap size, this should match the amount of physical RAM in your machine. ;) :D

OK, that should about do it.
Thanks for all the help, man, you're awesome!

I'll probably be back if I run into any problems or think of any more questions.
(I most likely will be back later, heh heh) ^^;
But in the mean time. I believe I'm good for now.

Again... Thank you so much, and... catch you on the flip side!
LOL

chacyung

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:33:39 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:If you intend to install a raft of applications other than those that come with Zorin, then you could make it 50 Gb if that would make you happier (50 x 1024 to get the precise allocation).

OK, I have a problem.
I'm getting ready to do a fresh Zorin install and it's not giving me an "extended partition" option. (only Primary and Logical)
And I'm not seeing "NTFS" in the formatting options list. Just fat32 and fat16

If it helps It says that the version I have is Zorin OS 12.2 (12)

EDIT: ok so if I can't make an extended partition in which to place the /home and swap file
sections... then I have to place the swap file section somewhere...
I still need 4 sections: 50GB MAIN, 16GB swap file, 534GB /home, 400GB /shared
and it still wants to know primary or logical...
So do I make them ALL primary? or just the first one? or all but the swap file? or all but the shared folder?
And should the swap file come after the 50GB MAIN? or should it still be after the /home but before the /shared

ARG! I'm so confused @_@
I'm sorry, please help me V_V

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:37:47 am

Hi, My advice to you is that there may be an issue with your Zorin iso OR a problem with your partition table. I would, if nothing else is on or going to be on there apart from Zorin, then download GParted as a separate disc/usb image from here:

https://gparted.org/

and delete everything on the drive show it is showing 'blank' - no partitions at all.

Having looked at my GParted all file systems are showing. I thought I had partitioned my Zorin Drive on last install but I think I let it do its own thing so I could see what it did. I have screwed my install by messing with Xfce and other DE's in an attempt to get login greeter to work so you will have to bear with me as I do a fresh install this weekend when I will take some shots with my phone. ;)

chacyung

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:30:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, My advice to you is that there may be an issue with your Zorin iso OR a problem with your partition table. I would, if nothing else is on or going to be on there apart from Zorin, then download GParted as a separate disc/usb image from here:

https://gparted.org/

and delete everything on the drive show it is showing 'blank' - no partitions at all.

Having looked at my GParted all file systems are showing. I thought I had partitioned my Zorin Drive on last install but I think I let it do its own thing so I could see what it did. I have screwed my install by messing with Xfce and other DE's in an attempt to get login greeter to work so you will have to bear with me as I do a fresh install this weekend when I will take some shots with my phone. ;)

I'll try gparted but in the meantime...
Do you think that having core vs ultimate have anything to do with it?

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:42:05 pm

No, that has nothing to do with it. OK, I have now just installed Zorin 12.3 Lite (Ultimate Edition). This has a different look and feel to the Core/Ultimate version in terms of the System Tray but the menu follows a Windows 7 like feel. Not checked out Appearance settings, but any how, if you boot either the Core or Lite version of Zorin you should get GParted included as standard (it gets removed after key installation files have been created from the install but remains on the live media). Here is how I went about creating what you are after exactly.

1. Back up any critical data before proceeding

2. Boot off the Live Media and don't run the installation bur run Gparted - just enter it in the search bar of the Windows 7 Menu.

3. If you have any partitions created at all, in particular 'linux-swap' or 'swap area' you have to turn off before you can delete it.

4. select any other partitions (if you have any in an extended partition then delete first, then selece delete extended partition

5. Deete the primary partition.

6. Select the green 'Tick' to apply all of the above to your hard drive.

7. Using the 'slider' left arrow - move to the right until you have 400 x 1024 (400 Gb) on the right of the partition editor - make this Primary and format to NTFS

8. In the Unallocated space to the left of the newly created NTFS partition, create a Primary Partition of 50 Gb and mark it as '/', formatted to 'ext 4'

9. In the unallocated space that is left create an 'Extended Partition'

10. Inside the Extended partition, move the arrow on the left to right until you have 4096 Mb (Or rather equal in size to whatever amount of physical RAM is present in your machine) and mark it as 'linux-swap'/'swap area'.

11. Whatever is left in front of tthe 'linux-swap' mark as '/home' and format to 'ext 4'

Now start the installer from the desktop and when you get to the option of installation, choose the something else method - you will need to 'change' both '/' and '/home' partitions by formatting once more and marked the same as '/' and '/home' respectively - then continue with the installation, making sure that:

A. you mark 'sda' as the place for GRUB', and

B. You have '/' highlighed when you click on 'Install now' button. :) :D

I managed to use Kazam Screencast in live mode on Zorin LIte 64-Bit ultimate which I will upload to my Vimeo channel in due course.

Here is my Lite desktop with the NTFS partition showing top left and open in main screen:

Screenshot_2018-04-22_17-38-35.jpg

chacyung

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26:30 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:YOU BEING BRILLIANT !!!

OMG !
IT WORKED !!
Thank you so much !!!

All the partitions are setup like they should be, right down to the NTFS one.

Now I just have to get my windows builds on the network to see it again.
I'm guessing that I have to go back to samba, I'm I right?

Or is there an easier way.
Cause the windows PCs don't want to see the NTFS partition just yet.
Probably something to do with the fact that I haven't joined the workgroup.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:36:29 am

Yes that is correct - not sure if there is someway to ensure that the NTFS partition should be shared. Would be curious to know how Obmin works - Gnome Shell Extension.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1254/obmin/ ;) :D

chacyung

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08:29 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Yes that is correct - not sure if there is someway to ensure that the NTFS partition should be shared. Would be curious to know how Obmin works - Gnome Shell Extension.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1254/obmin/ ;) :D

That does look interresting.
I have a few ideas that it could help me with, but unfortunately for this idea specifically...
I need something that'll work from startup without having to log in and start it manually.

Come to think of it, I never tested samba with regards to that either.

You see: My family likes to turn on my computer and dump stuff into my shared folder, while I'm at work.
And sence they don't know my password, I need a program that'll run in the background as soon as the computer is turned on (not logged in)

Can samba do that?
or would I have to keep it on all the time and just locked

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:34:37 pm

Take a look here - but not clear if you actually have to be logged in?:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=887808

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:59:30 am

OK, so I installed obmin on my Zorin Lite xfce 64-bit desktop last night and had temporary success. I followed the instructions but cheated by maintaining the Port instead of changing the one shown on the router (you will need a router that supports port forwarding) and I managed to access the data share on my smart phone. Then adding it to the startup list I wanted to see if just booting to the login would work - no, and I could not get the connection again. Firefox on first visit to the IP address assigned to the Desktop Share warned it of being unsafe, but I proceeded anyway, and there in front of me was the Data share folder - I didn't go into it (nothing there) I was attempting to see if I could share anything the other way. Will take another look when I can. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:17:04 pm

Well my problem appeared to be when choosing https:// - there is an issue with that! Finally connected!

Desktop shot:

Data Share Connection.jpg

Phone shot:

phone connection shot.jpg

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40:49 pm

OK, just tested to see if when logged out of machine I could still access the shared folder and can't - solution? Install x-screensaver if running Zorin Lite and set it to lock after 1 minute of inactivity - which means it will be password protected and only the shared folder on the NTFS partition will be visible. I haven't been able to place anything in it yet (possibly because not able to with Android Smartphone - will see if I can see it from another computer on the network and see if file transfers bi-directional. ;) :D

chacyung

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:30:27 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, just tested to see if when logged out of machine I could still access the shared folder and can't - solution? Install x-screensaver if running Zorin Lite and set it to lock after 1 minute of inactivity - which means it will be password protected and only the shared folder on the NTFS partition will be visible. I haven't been able to place anything in it yet (possibly because not able to with Android Smartphone - will see if I can see it from another computer on the network and see if file transfers bi-directional. ;) :D

I'm going to try to get my network up and running using samba today.
Here's the commands that I was going to use.
(something a guy on the samba help irc, helped me with)

===================================================================
[sudo]
apt-get install samba
mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.example
touch /etc/samba/smb.conf
apt-get install joe
apt-get install system-config-samba

joe /etc/samba/smb.conf
=============================
[global]
workgroup = (workgroup name)
security = user

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = yes
valid users = %S
=================================
[SAVE and CLOSE]

systemctl restart smbd.service nmbd.service
smbpasswd -a (user)
Password = ???
apt-get install smbclient
apt-get install libuser
touch /etc/libuser.conf
system-config-samba
[create share]

systemctl restart smbd.service nmbd.service
smbclient //build name/share
===================================================================
END

It was setup using a folder in home as the shared folder,
so I'm going to have to try to figure out how to set it up using the NTFS partition instead.
Any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:39:43 pm

I gave the answer in the above posts - Obmin.

First open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

then

Code:
sudo apt-get install gjs gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 psmisc gir1.2-appindicator3

Then scroll down to the bottom of this page:

https://github.com/konkor/obmin

to get to the .deb download link:

"Latest deb package for Debian/Ubuntu flavors"

Then install with the software channel.

The only proviso is that your router MUST support port forwarding. I was able to connect my smartphone to the NTFS Data share partition. ;) :D

You will need to login, then lock your screen with password using 'Privacy' in Zorin Core, or install x-screensaver if you are using Zorin Lite and choose a screensaver that can be password protected.

chacyung

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:49:14 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I gave the answer in the above posts - Obmin.

First open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

then

Code:
sudo apt-get install gjs gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 psmisc gir1.2-appindicator3

Then scroll down to the bottom of this page:

https://github.com/konkor/obmin

to get to the .deb download link:

"Latest deb package for Debian/Ubuntu flavors"

Then install with the software channel.

The only proviso is that your router MUST support port forwarding. I was able to connect my smartphone to the NTFS Data share partition. ;) :D

You will need to login, then lock your screen with password using 'Privacy' in Zorin Core, or install x-screensaver if you are using Zorin Lite and choose a screensaver that can be password protected.

I have no idea if my router supports port forwarding or not.
How do I find out?

chacyung

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:16:32 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:YOU BEING AWESOME

OK, so I got samba up and running again.
Everything works fine until I shut the computer down.
(I'll try obmin later once It's confirmed to work, if you don't mind)

But now I have noticed something else.
When I created the NTSF partition, I didn't add a "/" mount command.
So the volume unmounts everytime I shutdown.

Is there a simple "always mount upon startup" command I could use in terminal?
Or do I need to edit the partition with that gparted program?

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:14:50 am

Hi, I am using Zorin Lite Ultimate and NTFS is always mounted for me. To find out if your router supports port forwarding go to manufacturers website and search specification. If not then obmin won't work. The problem with samba sharing is you have to be logged on to the machine each time. OK so you have to be logged on with obmin too but you can leave it running and get your screensaver on with password protection (it usually sets to your login password). I could not get 'share' function on my android phone to dump files so I need to look into this. ;) :D

chacyung

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:44:14 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I am using Zorin Lite Ultimate and NTFS is always mounted for me. To find out if your router supports port forwarding go to manufacturers website and search specification. If not then obmin won't work. The problem with samba sharing is you have to be logged on to the machine each time. OK so you have to be logged on with obmin too but you can leave it running and get your screensaver on with password protection (it usually sets to your login password). I could not get 'share' function on my android phone to dump files so I need to look into this. ;) :D

Stays mounted for you huh?
Oh well, as it turns out it's a minor detail.
As I asked and my family said they wouldn't turn it back on after a power outage.
And seeing as how I leave my computer on all the time anyway, just logged out, that problem isn't a problem, because...

The NTFS partition may not auto mount when the computer is first turned on,
but it does stay mounted when I'm logged out. So no problem here.

Also, my winxp machine can access the zorin NTFS partition even when my zorin account is logged out.
So as it turns out, everything is SO FAR working as I need it.

Now I just have to figure out how to get zorin to stop asking me if I want to execute the TXT file or just view the thing >.<

PROBLEM BELOW !!!==========================================================================PROBLEM BELOW !!!

EDIT: OK problem. (typing this from my new Linux build, ^.^ )
I tried to access my sisters computers shared folder using my Zorin OS, and... It wants a password.
Normal right? NO!
Because my sister has no password setup on her computer.
She likes not having to type something in. Just one-click, and you're logged in.
Even had her check to see if she had just checked the box for "remember my password"
NOPE, definately no password.
So I can't get access wiithout a password, that doesn't exist ???

EDIT 2: OK better question. (back on my WinXP machine)
In trying to access my sisters shared folder, I get a "passwd required" box, when she has no password. YES?
Well, out of frustration, I typed in the passwd from my XP machine... it worked >.>
Then I tried it again, and used my passwd from my zorin build... it worked again...

So here's the question:
I get it that I have to use my zorin passwd to access my zorin machine, when on any of the other computers... (my first one, my sisters one, my parents one)
BUT why can I access those 3 computers using either my zorin passwd or MY WinXP machine passwd ???

This does not make sence to me.
Could it be that I am simply confusing the modem because the user accounts on both my WinXP and my zorin computers have the same name?

EDIT 3:
Here's a thought...
when I set up samba, I accessed the smb.conf file and used the line "security = user"
and setup "smbpasswd -a (username) " using the same username as on my WinXP machine.

If the system interpreted this as:
"global" (the whole network)
"security" (requires passwd)
"smbpasswd -a (username) " (username to access anything using samba)
"passwd" (passwd to use with above username, when accessing anything using samba)
[happens to be the same user name for accounts on both WinXP and Zorin builds, so gets confused and accepts passwd for WinXP build as well]

So I'm either confusing the modem, or the samba program on my Zorin build...
Any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49:39 am

Here you go:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1767/ho ... rom-ubuntu

Now as for autologin, that is the biggest security flaw ever - your sister could well look forward to seeing some ransomware anytime soon! :o

chacyung

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:59:46 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Here you go:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1767/ho ... rom-ubuntu

Now as for autologin, that is the biggest security flaw ever - your sister could well look forward to seeing some ransomware anytime soon! :o

I've tried to tell my sister that she needs a password, but nooo, she doesn't listen to me.
Even though I'm the one that built the machine for her.
Anything involving any amount of actual thought what-so-ever is "too much trouble" for her.
I guess I should have just let her buy a prebuilt, off the shelf, model >.< so frustrating.

As for the Ubuntu samba login thing. This makes MY head spin.
Linux functions SO differently from windows (the only OS I've ever used before)
By the time I think I have it all figured out, I find something new to be confused about @_@

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:01:14 pm

Hi, it is a security thing, and autologin in GNU/Linux is even more fraught with issue. Just for clarity, in respect of Obmin, you have to login and start the server, then it stays up as long as you have the machine on and you are logged in - having the screensaver on password lock means no-one can dump anything anywhere else. ;) :D

chacyung

Fri May 04, 2018 5:55:58 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, it is a security thing, and autologin in GNU/Linux is even more fraught with issue. Just for clarity, in respect of Obmin, you have to login and start the server, then it stays up as long as you have the machine on and you are logged in - having the screensaver on password lock means no-one can dump anything anywhere else. ;) :D

I messed around with it for a while and found out a few things:

When I turn on my Zorin Build, I have to mount the NTFS partition,
but it will stay mounted whether I go to lock screen, or simply log out.
Doing either still lets the other computers access and change files in my shared folder (AKA: the NTFS partition)
It doesn't unmount unless I shut down the computer entirely.

The second thing I thought of is:
When I a setting up the samba program, I registered a username and password in the samba program itself.
I just happened to use the same username and password that I did for my zorin machine loggon.
And it's the same username (though not the same password) that I used for my WinXP machine loggon.

Could it be that the reason samba accepts either passwd (WinXP pass, and Zorin OS pass) to access shared folders for any of the 3 other computers, when going through samba...
is because I have the same username registered for Samba, Zorin, and WinXP?
Did I simply confuse Samba by using the same username 3 times?

Swarfendor437

Fri May 04, 2018 8:46:36 pm

I'm not a SAMBA expert as I tend not to use it. I am not one for sharing files even on the home network. :twisted:
All I know is that you have to have permissions set in the form of password on the Windows machines to access them and that you are limited to having to be logged on to the computer and enter passwords, where as Obmin does not need that but it then raises the question of 'security'. ;) :D

chacyung

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:53:42 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I'm not a SAMBA expert as I tend not to use it. I am not one for sharing files even on the home network. :twisted:
All I know is that you have to have permissions set in the form of password on the Windows machines to access them and that you are limited to having to be logged on to the computer and enter passwords, where as Obmin does not need that but it then raises the question of 'security'. ;) :D

Hey man. been awhile. Thanks again for all the help you've given me.
I'm typing this from my Zorin Build.

I've got the Bios settings the way I like them.
Setup the HDD partitions the way you suggested.
And even have the OS installed, updated, and settings adjusted.

I can now use samba to get the windows computers to access my samba share. AKA: the NTFS partition.
But I'm having a little problem with regards to the NTFS partition's ownership...

I can't delete anything put in there, because it says that I'm not the owner. "root" is.
How do I change the partitions ownership from root, to my user?

can't seem to figure out the "chown" syntax.
One guy online even said that it wouldn't work for NTFS partitions.
ALSO tried to change the mount point from /mnt/ "partition name" to /home/user/ "partition name"
...that didn't work either V_V

Even adding "usershare owner only = false" in the smb.conf file didn't work V_V

chacyung

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:45:37 pm

OK, major problem.

I have my sepparate partition, formatted NTFS, used as a shared folder through samba, so the windows machines can now access it.

Just one problem:
When ON my zorin build, looking at my shared folder (partition) ...
it won't let me delete anything !!
Says I'm not the owner... root is!

How do I change ownership from root to my user,
so I can delete files... and shut off that ANNOYING "do you want to run or display it's contents" box !?!?

zorinantwerp

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:37:18 am

Hi

you might have a look here
Code:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/101073/how-to-change-permissions-from-root-user-to-all-users

cheers

chacyung

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:04:15 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

you might have a look here
Code:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/101073/how-to-change-permissions-from-root-user-to-all-users

cheers

Nope. None of that worked, but thx anyway.

Maybe it is true.
Maybe you simply CAN'T change permissions on a sepparate NTFS partition.
(stuck as root owner)

And if that's the case...
I don't know what to do... V_V

HEY, I think I figured it out !!
I had to edit the /etc/fstab file
and change nosuid to uid=(insert number from "ID -u {username} " )