This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

CUPS playing up - Zorin Ultimate 12.3

Finston Pickle

Wed May 02, 2018 9:34:24 am

CUPS playing up - annoying!

I had a problem printing last night, so wanted to check things our using CUPS ( the two print jobs that were stopped have now cleared in settings > printers).

I can get into CUPS using http://127.0.0.1:631/ in Firefox - strangely http://localhost:631/ does not work, but it does in Midori. Both have the problem below:

Once into Home CUPS 2.1.3, I can't select printers , admin etc. - it comes up with "NOT FOUND".

I entered cat /etc/hosts in the terminal - it returned this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 (my laptop reference)

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

Online "SOLVED" CUPS thread suggests:

cat /etc/hosts

should return something like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 (my laptop reference)

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

IP6 is enabled as well as IP4

Any ideas anyone? Already done a power off and restart. Which file needs editing to get ff02::3 ip6-allhosts to be returned - is it important?

Swarfendor437

Wed May 02, 2018 11:41:59 am

Is the printer switched on? Is the cable loose? ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Wed May 02, 2018 6:30:39 pm

Yes, the printer is on and I can contact it's website? (i.e. some web interface that the printer has) via my browser - everything is normal - ready to print.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 02, 2018 10:02:04 pm

Having looked at your post again on your machine you don't have the "allhosts" line?

Finston Pickle

Thu May 03, 2018 6:54:17 pm

Yes, I noticed that.

As I said before:

"Which file needs editing to get ff02::3 ip6-allhosts to be returned - is it important?"

Also, when the printers (both Canon and Epson) were unable to print, I got:

usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster “not available” (Canon, possible Epson too)

AND

usr/lib/cups/filter/commandtoepson “not available” (Epson)

How do I make those files available to CUPS, please?

Swarfendor437

Fri May 04, 2018 12:04:52 am

You could try removing and reinstalling CUPS and follow this guide.

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/cups.html

Finston Pickle

Mon May 07, 2018 7:18:15 pm

I am worried that I will loose my hard won setting if I deleted CUPS by command line (and how? - the link does not cover deletion) and then did a command line install - my Canon printer settings especially (they were a pig to get working).

What happens if I use Synaptic package manager to deleted / reinstall CUP? I seem to remember doing this once and not losing my settings.

Still no joy with http://localhost:631/admin - not found in Firefox.

Error log 7-5-18: I don't seem to be able to upload it for some reason - clicked "Upload attachment" browsed to file > selected open (it appeared ready to upload - file name there) pressed "add this file" AND nothing!

What did I do wrong? Too big?

Swarfendor437

Mon May 07, 2018 7:37:21 pm

Have you made sure it is .jpg and nothing greater than about 270 Kb? What model of Canon do you have? My MG7550 died on me recently so I now have a TS-8151 and no issues installing the Canon Linux driver so no need for CUPS period! ;) :D

Selection_021.jpg

Finston Pickle

Tue May 08, 2018 3:40:56 pm

Error log was 48.6 kB, plain text - how do I get it to .jpg? When I have it open and go to "save as" there is no choice of .jpg.

My Canon printer is a TS-8050 and it seems to be performing fine (apart from this CUPS issue). I don't remember installing a Canon linux printer driver (although I did download a lot of Canon items and may have installed it, but nothing named Canon in downloads now, where I keep important downloads) - how did you install the Canon linux printer driver? Perhaps a different thread needed for this answer.

Back to CUPS:

1. As I said before:

"Which file needs editing to get ff02::3 ip6-allhosts to be returned - is it important?"

2. Checked things out in Synaptic package manager:

- No CUPS package is broken

- Interestingly found missing recommended packages of:

cups 2.1.3-4 ubuntu 0.4

cups-filters 1.8.3-2 ubuntu 3.4 (paydirt here, I feel!)

Should I install them?

3. Also found cups-backend-bjnp Printer backend for Canon BJNP protocol. Should I install it?

As ever, thanks for your help, Swarf.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 08, 2018 4:47:59 pm

Hi Finston - I would recommend any missing ones apart from the BJNP one - if I can remember the blurb correctly it was for laser printers but please check the full details when you click on the package. I will do the TS-8000 how to after posting this.
;) :D

Finston Pickle

Wed May 09, 2018 6:23:54 pm

Thanks, Swarf.

I will install:

cups 2.1.3-4 ubuntu 0.4

and

cups-filters 1.8.3-2 ubuntu 3.4

printer-driver-cups-pdf is not installed - should I install it?

From Internat research, I agree that cups-backend-bjnp is not relevant as bjnp.exe needs cups17.dll rather than cups.dll, seemingly.

I will post how I get on.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 09, 2018 8:12:52 pm

I am guessing the pdf is to 'print to pdf'?

Swarfendor437

Wed May 09, 2018 9:16:24 pm

Hi Finston, please be patient, I have completed the first part of your printer - the scangear element for the onboard scanner in your 'all-in-one' TS-8050.

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13895

I will try and get the printer instructions uploaded at the weekend. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Fri May 11, 2018 6:16:26 pm

Swarf, you said:

"I am guessing the pdf is to 'print to pdf'"

I would think that too - the strange thing is that I can print to .pdf, ~ /mozilla.pdf - without it being installed (from Firefox).

Perhaps that is the answer - I can't print to .pdf from Open Office Writer.

Should I install printer-driver-cups-pdf? - It seems to me like a punt to nothing - worth trying.

Still ongoing:

If I enter into the terminal cat /etc/hosts, I am still missing ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Which file needs editing to get ff02::3 ip6-allhosts to be returned? And is it important?

Swarfendor437

Sat May 12, 2018 8:57:44 am

Hi Finston, I never go to deep into GNU/Linux and ipv6 is a whole new can of worms that works on complex hex codes. :o

Finston Pickle

Sun May 13, 2018 4:57:57 pm

Should I install printer-driver-cups-pdf? - It seems to me like a punt to nothing - worth trying.

Perhaps I will disable IPv6 in settings network (I had it disabled for some time whilst I tried to get Firefox working). Things seem to work well without it.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 13, 2018 8:08:01 pm

Please see the update to that earlier post. Also with regards your partners iPad not connecting, follow this guide:

https://ij-setup.com/apple-airprint-pixma-ts8050-setup/

Oh and Finston, if you have the printer driver working there should be absolutely NO NEED for CUPS! (Saucers will work just fine! :lol: )

Finston Pickle

Mon May 14, 2018 6:23:59 pm

Thanks again, Swarf. I tried all the things in the TS8050 printer guide for i-pad before. It just didn't/doesn't work.

The only thing that I could get to shake it out of total non co-operation with the i-pad pro was to use a third party print app. It now works on some apps and some websites - very random.

The Canon TS8050 works fine with Zorin12. Whether Zorin 12 uses the canon app, that I installed (pretty certain I installed it - how do I check?), or CUPS is anybody's guess. I can see the print jobs by accessing the Canon printer server, but it doesn't say what is being used.

On the other topic:

Is printer-driver-cups-pdf normally installed with CUPS?

Swarfendor437

Mon May 14, 2018 7:45:53 pm

Hi Finston, I don't know, if you need it, install it! ;) :D

What the canon printer driver does is install the 'proprietary' Canon blobs that then list the printer model or the series to which it belongs to. The family TS-8151 is shown up as:

TS8000 series.jpg

Finston Pickle

Wed May 16, 2018 6:48:43 pm

My Canon TS 8050 show in settings > printers as Canon TS8000 series.

Did you use the command line to show the image that you posted? What was the command?

Then I'll try it and see what I get.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 16, 2018 7:23:36 pm

I'm running Zorin Lite Ultimate 64-bit but it should be exactly the same in Core / Ultimate - Settings | Printers. I captured using Shutter - far superior to Gnome Screenshot. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Thu May 17, 2018 7:14:12 pm

Yes, but what were you looking at - what did you select first? - not settings > printers, I guess (cos mine doesn't look like this).

For information only - no big deal.

Edit: You said it was settings > printers, so now i'm really intregued - I've seen this format before - but where did I see it?

I think you posted some terminal command once to set up printers that brought up this screen - what was that command? I can try that then.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 17, 2018 7:20:51 pm

Zorin Lite can have a 'Printers' shortcut in the Panel - that is how I launched that Window. ;) :D

It's basically a shorcut of 'Printers' from 'Settings' - the layout of Settings in xfce is different to Gnome Shell but it would basically pull up the same view.

Finston Pickle

Fri May 18, 2018 6:32:05 pm

Was it "gksudo printers" that you enter in the terminal to install a new printer - I'm sure it looks like your screen shot.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 18, 2018 7:38:20 pm

No it was just printer and 'Add' (+) printer. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:32:18 pm

I am still having problems with CUPS:

I tried to print out some e-tickets on both my printers and found they both printed out a faded version of the header photograph but omitted the text.

They also printed a ghosted printer icon towards top left (beneath the photo) and a ghosted SD type icon top right - which were not on the .pdf to be printed.

Both printers are fine - my wife printed the tickets out on the Canon even though it shows inks running out (even though it would not print yesterday - which is why I was trying to print them) and the epson is working fine with my other PCs.

A screenshot of what print brought up after I had finished the two failed prints:

Screenshot from 2018-06-04 09-31-02.jpg

What would happen if I used Synaptic Package Manager to delete CUPS and then re-installed CUPS?

Would I loose or retain my CUPS seetings?

Any other ideas?

Finston Pickle

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:57:45 pm

I have managed to get into the CUPS server and have found for my Epson printer:

(CUPS:) "Gutenprint error: Warning: Quadtone inkset only available in MONO"

Looking online, it seems that the above error is caused by the printer configuration Ink Set being set to MIS Quadtone. I don't remember ever setting that but I suppose I must have corrupted for some unknown reason.

I have tried to set it back to Epson Standard Inks in Epson-Stylus-DX6000 > administration > set default options > printer features common > Ink set. I find that I can set Epson Standard Inks in the drop down list but ust doing that is not remembered by the server.

It seems as though you need to click on "Set Default Options" box to make the change permanaent and clicking on the box then is requiring my username and password.

I am using my computer username (I have only ever set one) and the CUPS password, which I wrote down at the time, but CUPS is not accepting them and allowing me to reset back to Epson Standard Inks.

I suppose something similar is going on with my Canon printer settings - although it looks different and Canon-TS8000 > Set Default Options > general is not opening the general settings page and nothing else seems to set ink selection.

How can I proceed?