This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Wine package and glibc UPDATE 09.06.2019

ktindle

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:43:18 pm

Why post in a Zorin forum and not elsewhere? Output of 'wine --version':
wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1zorin2)
Yep, your package. From Zorin OS 12.4 Lite 64-bit.

I have installed a 32-bit Windows app in PlayOnLinux which crashes. The app uses runtimes from MS Visual Studio. The DLLs must load for the app to run.

Debug log:
playonlinux.log:0009:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"MSVCR90.dll": /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/lib/wine/../i386-linux-gnu/wine/msvcr90.dll.so)

Wine is trying to load from built-in; it's not using the DLL file right in the same directory as the main executable.
The 'libm' shared object does not contain linker symbols that are sufficiently up to date. It needs to be at least 2.27 however...

Output of 'strings libm-2.23.so | grep GLIBC'
GLIBC_2.0
GLIBC_2.1
GLIBC_2.2
GLIBC_2.4
GLIBC_2.15
GLIBC_2.18
GLIBC_2.23
GLIBC_PRIVATE
GLIBC_2.1.3

It cannot find what it needs because it isn't there. It must find something in the 2.2 series which is up to date.
The wine package does not match the libs installed on path: /lib/i386-linux-gnu

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:57:12 pm

Firstly, wrong! Not our package! Wine is created by winehq.org whose commercial arm, CrossOver is the paid for version of Wine and is better than PlayOnLinux - the latter is a 'free package' and is not part of the Zorin Development Team. Packages are there for people to use as they wish. Zorin does not have the resources to check what will and won't run on wine - this is an M$ issue rather than a Zorin or GNU/Linux issue, or rather the Software House of the original application you are trying to run. If you install synaptic package manager and do a search for wine you should be able to remove Wine 3 and install the basic version of 1.6 or go to winehq.org and look for earlier versions of wine from their archive - whether they will run with the current GNU/Linux kernel is a different matter, which again Zorin has no control over.

In the first instance I advise you to visit this page:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

peskydan

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:28:01 pm

We all appreciate the work that goes into maintaining a Linux distribution. So firstly, thank you. But this really is a Zorin problem.

Vanilla install of Zorin-OS-12.4-Lite-32.
Software updater run, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade.

Code:
dan@Zorin-VirtualBox:~$ wine --version
wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1zorin2)

dan@Zorin-VirtualBox:~$ wine notepad.exe
000d:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"windowscodecs.dll": /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/lib/wine/../i386-linux-gnu/wine/windowscodecs.dll.so)
000d:err:module:import_dll Loading library windowscodecs.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe") failed (error c000007a).
000d:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe" failed, status c0000135
0009:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"msvcrt.dll": /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/lib/wine/../i386-linux-gnu/wine/msvcrt.dll.so)
0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library msvcrt.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\notepad.exe") failed (error c000007a).
0009:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\notepad.exe" failed, status c0000135

This is saying that msvcrt.dll can't be loaded because of a broken dependency on GLIBC_2.27. Since a lot of software (most really) depends on msvcrt.dll, and Zorin is marketed as a Linux distro for people who are used to other systems like Windows, I'd make getting this fixed a high priority.

I have not tried the 64 bit build; I suspect the problem is limited to the 32 bit build or it would have been discovered sooner.

Thanks,
Dan

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:12:12 pm

Had a closer look at this and it appears to be an Ubuntu/Zorin bug but not helped by glibc mis-numbering:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/zorin-os/+bug/1775454

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1011148 ... untu-16-04

I've run 12.4 Core in a VM and has the same errors - will flag this up with Admins. ;)

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:58:03 pm

Update - just ran FerenOS based on Ubuntu 18.04 and wine working perfectly there - guess we'll have to wait for the next major release of Zorin for the fix. (have sent that PM).

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:20:57 pm

OK, I now have WINE running in 12.4 Lite Ultimate but I no longer have the Menu Entries for WINE.:

wine working.jpg

and from the terminal too:

wine notepad.exe.jpg

I removed all references to WINE and several attempts later using these commands:

Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds

Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel

Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Code:
winecfg

And install any packages that crop up as outlined here:

http://www.elinuxbook.com/install-wine- ... ntu-16-04/ - but in my case Wine 3.03 is installed but no menu items now.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:43:42 pm

Oh, before I forget, for some reason during the terminal install of Wine I was pointed to a couple of missing packages which had to be installed via synaptic - 'flex' and 'bison' :?

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37:58 pm

[UPDATE 14 10 2018]

Finally received a response from AZorin - they have been busy working on the next major release and apologised in the delay for getting back to me - they are aware of the problem with WINE. Their priority is to get it fixed for the next major release based on Ubuntu 18.04.1 and then feed the fix through to users of Zorin 12.4.

Please be patient - remember, "Good things come to those who wait". ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:21:41 pm

UPDATE 09.06.2019

OK, setup a new user. Downloaded MS font Arial from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/corefo ... nts/final/

downloaded the Arial fonts and then clicked on them and it automatically asks to use Windows Application Installer - as it is not installed on this user account it installs wine mono and two packets of wine gecko. On checking version that gets installed, it is Wine 4.0 which is the most current version. Have installed Windows version of 7.zip and it works fine.

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE ONLY TRIED THIS IN Zorin 15!!! ;) :D

AlbertoBN

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:12:45 pm

Reviving the dead here,
In Zorin 15.1 EDU there is a menu entry for running or installing windows apps but wine is not actually installed. Soooo I followed the instructions here and TADAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works! Now I can run pivot animator at my kids machines