This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Zorin 12.4 installed, no boot choice on startup

zabadabadoo

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:50:23 am

I am new to Linux and Zorin but have IT background and learning.
I have partitioned my Win XP HD and Installed Zorin 12.4 Core (32bit), following the instructions found for these actions here on the forum. Installation went well (I think) but have tried to boot to Zorin and WinXP comes up. I do not find a startup screen allowing me choice of operating system on startup. BIOS only lists device order.
Dont know how to choose to boot Zorin from startup.
I still have Zorin on USB and can use Try Zorin from that.
Any help to get Dual-Boot choice welcome.
Ed

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17:00 pm

Hi and welcome! Did you run the auto installer or follow the advice of the 'something else' option? If you are happy for GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) to overwrite your Windows MBR you should follow the something else method where you get to choose where to put GRUB. Your alternative is to install following Matthew Moore's unconventional method. I created a video for Windows 7 and Zorin 9 but the same method would work with XP.

https://vimeo.com/110085401

zabadabadoo

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:42:49 pm

Hi Swarf,
I followed Wolfman's instructions for partitoning and installation using "something else", albeit modified a little as some of the 12.4 installation screens a a little different. Reading back, I can't see where I have missed any steps.
His comment at the end
"Make sure that the "Bootloader" is set to install to "/dev/sda" which is where the normal "Master Boot record" (Grub Bootloader) is contained!."
worries me a bit. I created swp, root and home.
I installed on root, which for me is /dev/sda6. gparted shows stuff loaded there.
Any ideas, bearing in mind I do not want to screw my XP installation even though I have a recent backup.
Ta
Ed

zabadabadoo

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:38:17 pm

OK, hands up, my fault.
I missed the step about checking where boot loader to be installed, as I had sort of wondered about. (I have marked the offending missed item in attachment).
I have now redone partitions and reinstalled 12.4 using "something else" method. This time I am greeted by choice of OS on boot. Hooray!
So good so far, thanks for quick reply. Being new to Linux and Zorin, I may be back.
Pity forum browsing does not seem to work.
Ed

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:09:55 pm

Hi, glad you are sorted! The forum is due for an overhaul and expected at the same time the next major release (imminent) is to be made. They are looking for same look and feel as stack exchange. Don't forget your manual! ;) :D :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13614

zabadabadoo

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:39:46 pm

Yup. Got the manual. I had a read of that before installing Zorin.
Ed