This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

WiFi - Please Unlock the Mystery

WhyMyWifi

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48:51 am

Can someone please tell me how to get my wifi to work for the love of god?

I installed Zorin two days ago and have been searching for this solution ever since. I have found countless different ways that people have asked this same question but have not found any solution.

Honestly this is ridiculous. It is two-thousand-eighteen and I found this question ****** back to, at least, 2011...in seven years nobody has found a way to fix this problem and add it to the next version? I switched to linux because I was told I was going to be relieved of the Microsoft bs. I am frustrated beyond belief and do not know how to speak linux.

I had a filling fall out from a tooth yesterday and had it replaced today. For a minute he thought he was going to have to do a root canal but after looking at the x-rays decided to just replace the filling. After dealing with trying to do such a simple task as to get my wifi to work when I install my operating system and failing miserably at said task...I think I might have preferred the root canal.

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

*** by 'help' i do not mean hearing that you have the same issue but have not found the solution...that helps nobody ***

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:13:51 pm

First off can you please follow the instructions given where the vote count equals 64 on this page:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/333424/ ... fi-drivers

and post back just the highlighted element in respect of your machine. Thanks.

In response to your comments you have to remember that hardware built for Closed Source Operating Systems are not always going to run Free and Open Source Software out of the box - that's a hardware vendor issue, not a GNU/Linux one. ;)

Finston Pickle

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:49:49 pm

This thread reminds me of what I was reading in Computer Active.

The tip there was to get your PC WiFi to use the 802.11ac rather than the 802.11n protocol - you can select the WiFi hardware properties to 802.11ac in Windows.

Is there such a feature in Zorin 12? - if there is, I have never found it.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:38:05 am

Finston Pickle wrote:This thread reminds me of what I was reading in Computer Active.

The tip there was to get your PC WiFi to use the 802.11ac rather than the 802.11n protocol - you can select the WiFi hardware properties to 802.11ac in Windows.

Is there such a feature in Zorin 12? - if there is, I have never found it.

Hi Finston, we have not established what wifi chipset the OP has - still awaiting their response. ;)

zorinantwerp

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35:01 pm

buying an usb wi-fi adapter will end it all

Code:
s://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-dual-band-wireless-ac-usb-network-adapter-black/6092533.p?skuId=6092533

Finston Pickle

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:39:28 pm

I periodically find that on restart from shutdown that the WiFi box is empty in the all settings > Network box - most strange as I paid a premium to buy a laptop secifically designed to run Ubuntu Linux 16.4

My work around is to power off shutdown and restart until something turns up - sometimes it is my WiFi with FON, available to anyone passing my house and not my secure router (weird! but it is BT).

After a few goes it ultimately resolves and finds my secure router in the settings/Network box - (still not there though! - my browser does not work properly until the next step has been taken).

What I find is that you have to click to remake the connection with your router until you find the little tick has appeared next to your router - the browser now going like a train.

To keep this situation going, like after I close the lid of my laptop and reopen for a new session, I minmise the all settings > Network box permanently and all is well.

Simples!! and good luck!!

Neil

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31:37 pm

hello i am having difficulty with my WiFi i installed driver and it shows up in etc/ndiswrapper but after restart it still didn't show up. my card bcm4318, 14e4:4319 i got this from lspci and lspci -n so i downloaded driver from dell for Insprion 2200 and used inf file to install to windows driver to computer like troubleshooting told me to. followed all instructions. i need help and i appreciate that this forum is her to help thank you in advanced for the help i think this is a great os best lenox os i have ever used. i wish you made raspberry pi version. i know some but not as much as i want to know about lenox i did read the unoficial manuel for zorin 12 which is the operating system i am using 12.4 i would recomend this product wifi not working is not a huge problem but do want to use wifi. this computer has never ben this fast.i hope i provided enough info but if not i will give more info

zorinantwerp

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:12:29 am

Hi

broadcom issue is notrious

have you checked out this solution
Code:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1103187/ubuntu-18-04-wlan-driver-not-working-b43-for-bcm4318

I would install Zorin 15 beta :)
https://zoringroup.com/blog/2019/03/20/ ... rin-os-is/

+++

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:17:18 pm

This is a dual posting Neil - I did not have time to move your issue - please don't tag on to an old thread - we don't allow that! ;) :D

BonusBrain

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:12:06 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:buying an usb wi-fi adapter will end it all

Code:
s://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-dual-band-wireless-ac-usb-network-adapter-black/6092533.p?skuId=6092533

Best advice all round. Despite having minimal issues with built-in cards I do experience connectivity problems with one laptop depending on which room of the house I use it in. The wifi dongle solves this in an instant as it does with another machine that only crawls the internet using the built in wifi.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:58:47 pm