This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrade to Ultimate from Core

ccigas

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:14:48 am

Hello everyone, was just curious if I installed Core, is upgrading to Ultimate as simple as inputting the code from the purchase or would I have to do a fresh install? Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:27:42 am

You would have to do a fresh install but if you have setup Zorin as I have laid out in the manual using the something else method you could overwrite your '/' with the Ultimate version and all your settings would be there, apart from peripheral equipment and email client if you installed Thunderbird instead of Evolution or other apps that didn't come from core. Just don't reformat '/home' partition just mark it as /home once more so that the partition table gets updated. I would still take precaution of backing up your entire /home folder including hidden files - to view press Ctrl +H and backup to external device. ;) :D

ccigas

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:42:47 am

Thank you! I’ve never used a Linux based desktop before and this looks really nice. Going to try it out for a bit with the core OS then go to the Ultimate after a while. Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:45:37 am

Remember Zorin 15 is based on 18.04 which means support until 2027.

tambler

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:19:39 pm

I was under the impression that 1804 was supported until April 2023 or has Canonical extended the period? Of course there is nothing stopping Zorin OS from setting its own timetable rather than being tied to Ubuntu. I know I will keep the Zorin 12.4 Ultimate machine running until the last day of support but some clarification might be helpful. Thanks for all your efforts, Swarfendor437!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:27:41 pm

From what I can gather, 2023 is hardware support cut-off date. I saw it mentioned either in an article of YouTube video about 2027 - I know I read somewhere that Canonical were going to make it a 10 year release instead of 5 - unless that has all changed. ;) :D

And thanks for the appreciation - it's appreciated - no pun intended! ;) :D

tambler

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21:53 pm

Well, 2027 is fine by me. I know Manjaro just keeps on updating itself without rolling over on its back so why not? As far as 15 Core is concerned, I've decided to stick with that version and leave Ultimate until it is clear whether an upgrade from Core is possible to save on the configuration time.

I appreciate that you appreciate being appreciated!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:55:42 pm

I have listed all the applications that come on Ultimate - there is no reason why you could not add those applications yourself either through Software or Synaptic Package Manager - note that Synaptic is not present, just as in 12, so you need to add that and never login to Zorin on Wayland - Synaptic will not work with it. ;) :D