This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Keyboard shortcut to toggle touchpad

Janlam

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:01:45 pm

Greetings!
After distro hopping for the last few months, I have settled for Zorin 15 Ultimate.
With Win10, in the mouse settings, there is the option to deactivate the touchpad when the mouse is connected. Very convenient.
Maybe this could be added to future updates.
In the meantime, I would like to toggle on/off the touchpad with a keyboard shortcut.
What would be the command line to associate with the shortcut?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:10:11 pm

Firstly, open a Terminal window (Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Utilities | Terminal and install 'gnome-tweaks':

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweaks

This will place 'Tweaks' in Menu | System Tools.

Next, open up Firefox web browser and go to:

https://extensions.gnome.org/ - you will be prompted to add the extensions add-in.

Now open up Software and install this extension:

ToggleTouchpad.jpg

Janlam

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21:17 pm

Thank you! I did as suggested. But the option to deactivate the touchpad was already available in the settings panels.
However, I would really like to associate this with a keyboard shortcut, if possible.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:53:07 pm

Not sure if this will work in Zorin but you are welcome to try:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/863746/ ... pad/863747

;) :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:26:11 pm

Swarf,

Should this shell extension work also in Zorin12?

If so what shell version should I use.

Not being able to toggle the touchpad off has been the biggest frustration with Z12 on a laptop.

Janlam

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:50:14 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Not sure if this will work in Zorin but you are welcome to try:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/863746/ ... pad/863747

;) :D

This script works for me! Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59:16 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Swarf,

Should this shell extension work also in Zorin12?

If so what shell version should I use.

Not being able to toggle the touchpad off has been the biggest frustration with Z12 on a laptop.

Hi Finston,

Open Firefox (if you haven't got it then install it), go to the gnome extensions page I stated above and if not already added, click on the link to add the 'chrome' extension to Firefox - you can then search for the Toggle extension. Slide the slider to 'ON' and if it doesn't work you will see a red cross appear to the right of 'ON'. I noticed that this extension does not appear to give varying releases of the Gnome Shell like some other extensions - all I can suggest is try it. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25:41 pm

Hi Swarf,

I went into Firefox and followed the link you posted. No sign of "you will be prompted to add the extensions add-in" unfortunately.

I got to "toggle touchpad" in extensions search - but find to download it a shell has to be selected (What particular shell they are referring to is not clear).

Also, I could not see a link to Chrome extensions in firefox.

P.S.I have set up Gnome shell extension - originally following your guide - but have always found them impenetrable.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14:44 pm

Hi Finston,

Do you not get the purple/violet box at the top of the page when you visit?

gnome shell integration.jpg

Firefox will come up with a warning, click on 'Allow' and then you get this:

Add gnome shell integration.jpg

and finally:

integration.jpg

Janlam

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:01:29 am

Wow! I just noticed the icon on the task bar in Zorin 15, where you can easily toggle the touchpad. Really convenient.
Am loving Zorin 15 more and more as I discover. A beautiful and very clever distro. Thanks to the hard work of the Zorin brothers. :D

Finston Pickle

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32:09 pm

Thanks Swarf,

I have found "toggle touchpad", switched it to "ON" and installed "toggle touchpad" (just how you can switch something on before it is installed mystifies me).

How do you switch it on or see whether the touchpad is non or off?

As I write this, the touchpad is still live

Finston Pickle

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:35:07 pm

I tried switching to OFF in the "toggle touchpad" extension - in case that was the trick - touchpad still working!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17:28 pm

Hi Finston, I don't have a machine I can test it on at home - will see if I get any joy at the one at work. ;) :D