This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Vapoursynth for SmoothVideo Project (SVP)

ryu_joko

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:17:18 am

Hi, i tried to install SmoothVideo Project (SVP) using MPV and Vaporsynth. im very very new using Linux especially Terminal, but basic things like "CD, MD, Deltree..." i understand.

i've followed the instruction from SVP web (https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:Linux), but i dont know what Zorin OS 15 pre-requisite have installed already:
1. Qt 5.5.0 or later
2. Vapoursynth R31 or later
3. MediaInfo
4. lsof command line tool (install it via your package manager)
5. Required for SVPtube: Python 3.5
6. (recommended) Proprietary video drivers including OpenCL ICD
7. (recommended) mpv 0.17 or later built with Vapoursynth support
8. Recommended UI for mpv: SMPLayer
9. (optional) VLC 2.1 or later)

is there any pre-requisite that i can straight away install from "Software" app ?

and while im using Terminal to install it one by one (from tutorial), im stuck at :

git clone https://github.com/vapoursynth/vapoursynth.git
cd vapoursynth
./autogen.sh
./configure
make -j4 : error: Error compiling Cython file...
sudo make install : failed: recipe for target vapoursynth.c

anyone can help me ?

Aravisian

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09:44 am

ryu_joko, the "Software" app is notoriously unreliable and holds little in it.
There are several Better options available, however.
First is Synaptic Package Manager.
Next, you can use gdebi package manage for .deb files to install. Gdebi will tell you when you attempt an install what dependencies are missing.
You can also use "alien" to convert files to .deb that you can then install using Gdebi.

That being said, I am running 12.4 Core and just tested out installing SVP on my machine to see what would happen.
On the SVP download page, I selected SVP4 - Linux. I then selected Open with Archive Manager. Extracted the file to Home folder. It was a .run file. I double clicked the SVP.run file and that opened its own installer. Walked through all the steps and it installed on the machine with no hassle. I then ran it, briefly, to test operation.
Have you installed SVP with the installer the same way and run into trouble?

ryu_joko

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45:13 am

Hi, tq for replying. I can install SVP, its actually same as Windows, and it can run just fine. But the things, to make it work, it needs some dependencies. And thats the things that i need, but i dont know which one from the list that i need to install...

Aravisian

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:50:01 pm

ryu_joko wrote:Hi, tq for replying. I can install SVP, its actually same as Windows, and it can run just fine. But the things, to make it work, it needs some dependencies. And thats the things that i need, but i dont know which one from the list that i need to install...

Ah, so we had the same experience, but I didn't dig deep enough testing it out to see that dependencies were missing.
Let me try re-installing it, then examining it. I am NO expert. Just a stubborn novice.
I installed SVP 4 and then I opened Synaptic Package manager.
On the left side, you will see -Sections- Status- Origin-Custom Filters- Search results-Architecture
Select Custom filters. Above that you will see Missing Recommends. Try scanning that list for anything related to SVP (I found nothing on mine).
Above that, you will see -Broken-. You might try checking there, as well.

In the meantime, can you describe what SVP is doing that demonstrates that dependencies are missing? I do not know how to SVP - never used it before.

ryu_joko

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:31:35 am

hi, tq for very detailed instructions.

i use SVP to get 60fps for my videos, its very very smooth when its played on Windows. and in Windows, if youre playing some videos, the SVP will activated and show some text (SVP ON 60FPS) for 5sec on the player, or SVP in notification will show a text "SVP is Runnning" instead "no active playback". thats the indicator of SVP is running fine.

im going to install Synaptic after this, try your method, and report back. tq very much

Aravisian

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:04:09 am

ryu_joko wrote:hi, tq for very detailed instructions.

i use SVP to get 60fps for my videos, its very very smooth when its played on Windows. and in Windows, if youre playing some videos, the SVP will activated and show some text (SVP ON 60FPS) for 5sec on the player, or SVP in notification will show a text "SVP is Runnning" instead "no active playback". thats the indicator of SVP is running fine.

im going to install Synaptic after this, try your method, and report back. tq very much

I think that is part of the issue; I have all dependencies satisfied. I had gone to a video and SVP powered itself up (much to my chagrin at the unexpected; I had to shoot it with a gattling gun to restore order) in response to the running video. It did overlay a text saying that SVP was running.
I was looking at the page:
For Vapoursynth:
Code:
sudo apt-get install autoconf automake libtool pkg-config nasm git
git clone https://github.com/sekrit-twc/zimg.git
cd zimg   
./autogen.sh
./configure
make -j4
sudo make install

cd ..

sudo apt-get install cython3

cd vapoursynth
./autogen.sh
./configure
make -j4
sudo make install
cd ..

sudo ldconfig

# make Python find the Vapoursynth module
# there MUST be a better way to do this!
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vapoursynth.so /usr/lib/python3.7/lib-dynload/vapoursynth.so

"# there MUST be a better way to do this!" - Agreed!

Can you tell the readers of this thread what you have installed and if any installs have failed?

ryu_joko

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:06:27 am

i think i'm really bad at linux Terminal, Plugins, Kernels, Dependencies stuff :lol: i still cant get it connect with SVP under Zorin 15.

but its ok, i think i return to Windows for a while until Linux have a really nice / more understandably GUI. but for now, Zorin still one of the best, easiest Windows to Linux transition.

thanks for your hard work Aravisian! ive gone this far and im really glad to learn one or two things from you.

just in case everyone wondering what step did i took:

SVP Installation (ZorinOS Qt v5.9.5)
sudo apt-get install libqt5concurrent5 libqt5svg5 libqt5qml5
sudo apt-get install mediainfo
sudo apt-get install autoconf automake libtool pkg-config nasm git
git clone https://github.com/sekrit-twc/zimg.git
cd zimg
./autogen.sh
./configure
make -j4
sudo make install
cd ..
sudo apt-get install cython3
cd vapoursynth
./autogen.sh
./configure
make -j4 : error: Error compiling Cython file
cd ..
Sudo ldconfig
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vapoursynth.so /usr/lib/python3.7/lib-dynload/vapoursynth.so
sudo apt-get install python-minimal libssl-dev libfribidi-dev libluajit-5.1-dev libx264-dev xorg-dev libegl1-mesa-dev
git clone https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build.git
cd mpv-build
echo --enable-libx264 >> ffmpeg_options
echo --enable-vapoursynth >> mpv_options
echo --enable-libmpv-shared >> mpv_options
./rebuild -j4
sudo ./install :error: the project wasnt confugured: run waf configure

Aravisian

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:02:00 am

ryu_joko wrote:i think i'm really bad at linux Terminal, Plugins, Kernels, Dependencies stuff :lol: i still cant get it connect with SVP under Zorin 15.

but its ok, i think i return to Windows for a while until Linux have a really nice / more understandably GUI. but for now, Zorin still one of the best, easiest Windows to Linux transition.

I do not like automatic transmission vehicles. I prefer manual.
But... I learned how to drive on an automatic when I was young. When I bought my first car, I bought a manual transmission car. Needless to say, I had some trouble.
Many times, I thought about returning to automatic and selling that car. But in the end, I decided to not give up and kept at it. Before long, I had the hang of it.
Now, I HATE automatic. Automatic transmissions hesitate, they never know, really, when it's appropriate to shift, they don't know how to downshift to slow the vehicle down and you cannot push start it in an emergency.

I would encourage you to keep it at. EVERYONE is bad at terminal, etc. when they start out. Everyone starting out with Windows is horrible at it, too.
"No one ever makes the first jump." When I started using Linux, about this past January, I thought Many times about going back to Windows.
I am still a novice. and still have so much to learn. My attempts at helping others, while not always disastrous, helps me to learn, too.
Linux allows far more control, much better security and more functionality, even if you will have a stiff neck from trying to stare at the screen three or four days at first.

ryu_joko wrote:ive gone this far

Exactly. Can't quit now. :D
ryu_joko wrote:just in case everyone wondering what step did i took:

make -j4 : error: Error compiling Cython file
./rebuild -j4
sudo ./install :error: the project wasnt confugured: run waf configure

It looks like Cython3 and Vapoursynth are where you are having trouble.
Let's start at Cython:
in terminal, can you do this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential

That helps you with dependencies for Cython.
If you have already done so- You would be better off using PIP to install cython:
(I am assuming you are already up to date on Python)
Code:
curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py

Then
Code:
python get-pip.py

Now, you can use PIP to install Cython:
Code:
pip install Cython

Let me know if you cannot install PIP and we will look at your Python install.
Then- Vapoursynth.
(Edited in after a few moments testing that this works:)
In terminal paste in:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:djcj/hybrid

You will need to hit "enter" after a moment...
Then
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install vapoursynth

Installed with no trouble on my machine, running 12.4 core Zorin OS.
Once you have done the above, you may try a fresh install of SVP, again, just to be sure.