This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GreenwithEnvy NVIDIA OC Problem

kiro77

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:27:15 pm

I got real trouble to install Green With Envy NVIDIA overclock software in Zorin OS. I was try it many times with different hard drive installations. First running Zorin together with Windows 10 Pro on diferent hard drives and finally install only Zorin OS without any Windows OS in my PC and the result was the same. I got no any problems to install GreenWithEnvy in Linux Mint for example. And my Nvidia drivers are the newest -430 . When I run the program as root user in the Terminal I got this messages:

root@kiro-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~# flatpak run com.leinardi.gwe
ERROR: Error while getting status
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 688, in _LoadNvmlLibrary
nvmlLib = CDLL("libnvidia-ml.so.1")
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 356, in __init__
self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: libnvidia-ml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gwe/repository.py", line 83, in get_status
py3nvml.nvmlInit()
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 652, in nvmlInit
_LoadNvmlLibrary()
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 690, in _LoadNvmlLibrary
_nvmlCheckReturn(NVML_ERROR_LIBRARY_NOT_FOUND)
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 317, in _nvmlCheckReturn
raise NVMLError(ret)
py3nvml.py3nvml.NVMLError_LibraryNotFound: NVML Shared Library Not Found
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gwe/repository.py", line 205, in get_status
py3nvml.nvmlShutdown()
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 701, in nvmlShutdown
fn = _nvmlGetFunctionPointer("nvmlShutdown")
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 333, in _nvmlGetFunctionPointer
raise NVMLError(NVML_ERROR_UNINITIALIZED)
py3nvml.py3nvml.NVMLError_Uninitialized: Uninitialized

(gwe:2): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:50:08.914: gtk_window_present_with_time() should not be called with 0, or GDK_CURRENT_TIME as a timestamp, the timestamp should instead be gathered at the time the user initiated the request for the window to be shown

(gwe:2): libappindicator-WARNING **: 14:50:08.918: Unable to get the session bus: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=2fb7a1f1c6cf4b4eb572dfe9577f919c --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(gwe:2): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 14:50:08.918: Unable to get session bus: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=2fb7a1f1c6cf4b4eb572dfe9577f919c --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1
ERROR: Set cooling error: Can't connect to display ":99.0": b'No protocol specified\n'
NoneType: None
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 688, in _LoadNvmlLibrary
nvmlLib = CDLL("libnvidia-ml.so.1")
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 356, in __init__
self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: libnvidia-ml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gwe/repository.py", line 83, in get_status
py3nvml.nvmlInit()
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 652, in nvmlInit
_LoadNvmlLibrary()
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 690, in _LoadNvmlLibrary
_nvmlCheckReturn(NVML_ERROR_LIBRARY_NOT_FOUND)
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 317, in _nvmlCheckReturn
raise NVMLError(ret)
py3nvml.py3nvml.NVMLError_LibraryNotFound: NVML Shared Library Not Found
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gwe/repository.py", line 205, in get_status
py3nvml.nvmlShutdown()
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 701, in nvmlShutdown
fn = _nvmlGetFunctionPointer("nvmlShutdown")
File "/app/lib/python3.7/site-packages/py3nvml/py3nvml.py", line 333, in _nvmlGetFunctionPointer
raise NVMLError(NVML_ERROR_UNINITIALIZED)
py3nvml.py3nvml.NVMLError_Uninitialized: Uninitialized
ERROR: Set cooling error: Can't connect to display ":99.0": b'No protocol specified\n'
NoneType: None
root@kiro-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~#
If anybody can help with the Greenwithenvy installation will be more then happy. Because I like how fast is a Zorin. For example in mostly benchmarks Zorin is way above the other Linux distributions. Even in Blender the Zorin render %10 faster then any other Linux distribution and %20 faster then the Windows 10 ! I don't want to run another Linux Distribution, but if I can't fix the overclock issue with the GreenWithEnvy program I will not have another choise. For me the GPU overclocking is important think. Thank you!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:52:38 pm

That is way above my head - I never OC anything - I prefer to make my hardware last and I prefer nouveau drivers to proprietary ones - I feel more secure with a GNU/Linux driver - proprietary drivers can't guarantee security updates. I will flag your post with Admins and hopefully they can answer your query. ;) :D

MBMz10

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:54:17 am

You might find answers in some of the Crypto (Bitcoin) forums or videos as it is popular in those communities.
There are a few OC (GUI) programs for Windows although the names elude me right now and I have seen ways of doing in Linux but over my head also.

AZorin

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:07:19 pm

Hello,
In order to install all of the required NVIDIA and GL dependencies for Flatpak, please run the following command in the Terminal: flatpak update

kiro77

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25:30 pm

Thank you for the quick response, but I already try the "flatpak update" before with no results. Overclocking my GPU is important for me simply, because with my RTX 2080 I can overclock the memory from 7000mhz to 8200 MHhz stable.That's how I get much fast rendering time in Blender. I don't care about Games. In Blender 2.8 your GPU and CPU can work together for faster rendering time in Cicle. And the RTX 2080 perform better then mostly 16 and 32 core CPU's. I don't know why I can't load my GPU with Greenwithenvy in Zorin and I can with Linux Mint like they are both Ubuntu base distributions? Here are some screenshots with my problem. The program is loading with no GPU information in it with Zorin and the other Screenshot is with the same program and Linux Mint :

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:59:35 am

I have not checked this but is there anyway to get an update from flatpak site instead of through terminal? Can you also check if newer kernel would resolve this? ;) :D