This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] dpkg error occurring often upon installing packages

lavender

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:38:13 am

As a Linux/Ubuntu n00b, I'm not sure whether to post this here or in a Ubuntu forum.

My impatience got the better of me.
I was installing some packages here and there on this laptop I salvaged.
During installation, this laptop froze up a bit. I overestimated its computational power a bit and had a couple things running as the installation took place.
I got impatient and did a hard shut down. Booted it back up. Everything is fine somehow? The only difference from before is now whenever I install any package, it seems to install just fine except I get this almost every time below all the lines of install code:

Code:
dpkg: error processing package python-all-dev (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
libpython2.7-stdlib:amd64
python2.7
libpython2.7:amd64
libpython2.7-dev:amd64
python2.7-dev
python-all
libpython-dev:amd64
python-dev
libpython-all-dev:amd64
python-all-dev
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It doesn't seem to affect the install process whatsoever and my packages seem just fine. As a matter of fact, outside of this error, nothing seems to have changed. But this error kind of worries me and makes me feel like I will run into bigger issues in the long run. I'm almost certain I broke a couple of Python related things when I did that hard shutdown. What can I do to fix this? I've googled this to death and got nowhere, especially since I'm not super seasoned with the terminal. Any attempts made to fix any packages were in vain. Help would be appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16:09 am

Hi, please install Synaptic Package Manager from Software 'channel'. Launch Synaptic an d from the Edit menu bar select Fix broken packages. ;) :D

lavender

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:32:23 am

Thanks for your reply. I did what you told me to and at the status bar on the bottom it said "successfully fixed dependency problems." However, this was so instantaneous that I was skeptical whether it really did do anything or not. So I ran a quick
Code:
sudo apt-get update
and then a
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
and I continued to get the errors.

Is there anything else I should try?

Aravisian

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:25:23 am

lavender wrote:Thanks for your reply. I did what you told me to and at the status bar on the bottom it said "successfully fixed dependency problems." However, this was so instantaneous that I was skeptical whether it really did do anything or not. So I ran a quick
Code:
sudo apt-get update
and then a
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
and I continued to get the errors.

Is there anything else I should try?

I wonder if one of your files corrupted.
Can you try:
Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libpython2.7-stdlib:amd64

lavender

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:16:34 am

Aravisian wrote:I wonder if one of your files corrupted.
Can you try:
Code:

Oh hey. I think that might have done the trick? I just did an "update" and "upgrade" again and I didn't see those scary errors anymore. Thanks a lot!

Aravisian

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:45:09 am

lavender wrote:
Aravisian wrote:I wonder if one of your files corrupted.
Can you try:
Code:

Oh hey. I think that might have done the trick? I just did an "update" and "upgrade" again and I didn't see those scary errors anymore. Thanks a lot!

Nifty.
Could you please edit your title of this thread with (SOLVED) at the beginning of the rest of the title in case it helps other Zorin users?
Who says you can't teach a new Zorin old tricks?