This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GnomeOnline Accounts Issues

wptophat

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:50:02 pm

So I have successfully connected my Google account via Online Accounts, but I cannot seem to access files with it. I open the file manager and click the google account in the sidebar, and it says loading, but more than 1 hour later there is still nothing there and it is still "loading"

Any ideas?

Aravisian

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37:06 am

wptophat wrote:So I have successfully connected my Google account via Online Accounts, but I cannot seem to access files with it. I open the file manager and click the google account in the sidebar, and it says loading, but more than 1 hour later there is still nothing there and it is still "loading"

Any ideas?

If you have a large amount of data stored in Google Drive, that first sync with Nautlius can take quite a long time. Some folks opt to use a different file manager. Others opt to use something like Sync.cloud or Pcloud (I use Pcloud.).
Once it finally syncs, you can access your Google Drive in that folder as readily as if it was actually on your machine. But a reboot, logout or shutdown will result in a long wait to sync back up again...
This is partly on Nautluis file manager. But I will be blunt; I have never had anything but problems with Google Drive, myself. It syncs badly to eBay, too. It jumbles files up, it creates duplicate files under different names and so on. MS cloud is even worse about that last one. Contacting their customer support gets absolutely nowhere.
Switching to Pcloud resolved all those issues for me. You can download an app that installs in your "Internet section" that you start or put in StartUp, login in and boom, there's your Pcloud folder synced up and ready to go.
Just allowing my opinion in there...

That said, you may have another issue causing your sync to not work. If it was me, I would test that by switching file managers, first.

wptophat

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09:22 pm

Hey Aravisian, thanks for the advice. I will look into pCloud.

That said, I am not likely to switch as I have GSuite business account so that I can easily collab with my employees, freelancers, and clients. Between the email, google docs, and drive, there is no other solution I know of that offers these, except maybe Zoho comes close.

At any rate, I will give it a shot with Thunar. Honestly, I do not like Nautilus and don't know why so many distros make it the default. LOL.

Aravisian

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:59:37 pm

wptophat wrote:Hey Aravisian, thanks for the advice. I will look into pCloud.

That said, I am not likely to switch as I have GSuite business account so that I can easily collab with my employees, freelancers, and clients. Between the email, google docs, and drive, there is no other solution I know of that offers these, except maybe Zoho comes close.

At any rate, I will give it a shot with Thunar. Honestly, I do not like Nautilus and don't know why so many distros make it the default. LOL.

Nautilus is well suited to Gnome, so if you choose Gnome for your Distro, Nautilus is the logical FM choice. If you choose XFCE, then Thunar, which is for XFCE will be a better choice. Nemo was for KDE and so on.
The base is the same, even if add on details are different. So you can interchange them. But if you put Nemo on a Gnome system, Nemo won't be as integrated as it would be on a KDE system. Thunar is less integrated on a Gnome system that it would be on an XFCE system.
Does it make a difference to the end-user? I don't know. I suspect that for most like me who are novice, it makes little if any difference. We tend to stumble around and bump into walls no matter what. But the end-user who has been using Linux for over thirty years and sees code in his sleep would undoubtedly notice the difference.
Unlike Microsoft, Linux seems more like Legos to me. With Microsoft, you have far more (Far more!) integration and dependency. The files tend to just get slathered all over the disk without any prep, planning or organization. In an ideal world, a Microsoft system with all programs and packages finely tuned and installed would work perfectly because of its heavy integration. Even though you must defrag it sometimes. Needless to say, it does not work that way (and never will due to human nature.) Linux being more like Lego means that you can customize and build in a larger assortment of configurations, but no matter what, will have small issues to resolve along the way as certain pieces don't fit perfectly together even if they fit "close enough."

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:34:15 pm

What you have to remember is that Nautilus is 'embedded' in Gnome - at least it was in earlier incarcerations. However I did experiment recently to remove Zeitgeist from the system - it takes Nautilus with it - if you were dependent on searching for things and location services, then that might be a big problem. Thunar will work in place of Nautilus but I have noticed that there appears to be no search function in Thunar. ;) :D

wptophat

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18:11 pm

Yea, I agree fully with you. I have just never been a fan of Nautilus.

That said, I have always preferred XFCE, making my choice of Thunar logical. TBH, making this switch to Zorin 15 is the first time I have used Gnome in at least 10 years. LOL.

And just to be transparent, I still have not decided if I am going to stay with Zorin or go back to Manjaro.I love a lot of the new features in Zorin, but I could them all in Manjaro I think, albeit with a bit more work. The same cannot be said the other way around sadly.

But after seeing the new changes in this version of Zorin, I just had to try it and I may well stay put.

Anyhoo, thanks for all the help guys!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:36:12 pm

Don't forget, Zorin 15 Lite, like 12.4 Lite, will be xfce based - it's just not out ... yet. ;) :D

Aravisian

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:48:55 pm

I was not excited to hear that 15 would be released soon.
I was happy with 12.4 and planned to stay with it for a few years. But I admit, the 15 lite has me anxious to try it out.
I have recently said I dislike XFCE and will avoid it. Having it forced on me by another system; I may be a convert. Having to move past whatever it was that initially made me not like it and examine it fully, I am liking XFCE.
I cannot remember now what experience I had with XFCE that made me start shunning it at the outset. But I do know that while Gnome has its perks, I am starting to want to shy away from it. Because the Gnome Developers are starting to remind me of Windows developers.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:35:56 pm

Aravisian wrote:I was not excited to hear that 15 would be released soon.
I was happy with 12.4 and planned to stay with it for a few years. But I admit, the 15 lite has me anxious to try it out.
I have recently said I dislike XFCE and will avoid it. Having it forced on me by another system; I may be a convert. Having to move past whatever it was that initially made me not like it and examine it fully, I am liking XFCE.
I cannot remember now what experience I had with XFCE that made me start shunning it at the outset. But I do know that while Gnome has its perks, I am starting to want to shy away from it. Because the Gnome Developers are starting to remind me of Windows developers.

I appreciate what you are saying - that's why there will always be room in my GNU/Linux heart for distributions that don't consign old 32-bit PC's and notebooks to the environmentally unfriendly non-recycle bin of hardware. ;) :D

I think Meltdown was a good excuse to forcefully consign 32-bit computing to the bin. I get a Canonical Newsletter every now and again which makes for interesting reading, especially due to the fact that Developers suffer a 50% reduction in processing speed thanks to meltdown. A member of a GNU/Linux group I attend told me that meltdown was an NSA initiative. :twisted:

Aravisian

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:59:14 pm

I know Gnome wasn't always this way and maybe it will cycle back around again. I hope.
But the trend now seems more like MS attitude of "just shut up and take it... and LIKE it too."
It's probably kind of like government- where you have some people within it with a certain kind of thinking and another crowd within it with a very different kind of thinking. You cannot at any time assume that "the Government" is one crowd following one way of thinking. I am convinced that there are people within that truly want to protect rights and freedoms just as much as there are those that would prefer to take them away with may justifications for doing so.
Gnome may be similar but the seed planted and sprouted- which way will the plant turn to 'catch the sun?' What do I know, though- I am a novice.
Of course, if I keep this up, you'll have to fission this off into a new thread...

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:55:45 am

I can close it by saying, visit the Michael Tellinger channel on YouTube - well worth watchin - he runs the true Ubuntu movement. ;)