This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is Zorin 9 still supported ?

AintMisbehaving

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26:17 pm

I have some older machines in which I have for various reasons decided not to upgrade beyond the Zorin 9 lite OS. It just seems to either work better or I simply like the look and simplicity of that desktop better.
(For example: I found that almost all of the linux-debian systems started to have this 1 min 30 second pause on one machine in the boot when Ubuntu went to v18. Ugh!)

Recently I seem to have stopped getting updates. Just curious. Has support for Zorin 9 ended ?
I tried to look for end of support dates on the web and could not find that information.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:12:22 pm

Hi, Zorin releases run in tandem with Ubuntu repositories/support cycle. Zorin 9 was based on 14.04 LTS which expired April this year. You could give Zorin Lite 12 a shot? It uses the xfce DE as opposed to LXDE used in 9 - having said that my last bit of information was wrong as Lite was based on Lubuntu which I think only run for 3 years so could well have expired in 2017! ;)

AintMisbehaving

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:40:10 am

Yes, thanks for the details. I always use the lte version.
I actually did try Zorin 12. For some reason almost all linux systems of the next generation appear to have the same problem. From what I am seeing, they cannot identify one of my hard drives. The result is that they stall during boot until they count for 90 seconds.
There was one interesting exception before today's system update and that was Lubuntu. After updating my Lubuntu OS today, not only did it completely get stuck when I tried to shut it down but it did the 90 second boot stall on the same hard drive.
There is some good news in all of this. I have been planning to abandon that desktop, (Dell 0510.) While I am rather fond of Zorin 9, On other equipment I have not had that boot stalling problem.

Aravisian

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:57:07 am

AintMisbehaving wrote:Yes, thanks for the details. I always use the lte version.
I actually did try Zorin 12. For some reason almost all linux systems of the next generation appear to have the same problem. From what I am seeing, they cannot identify one of my hard drives. The result is that they stall during boot until they count for 90 seconds.
There was one interesting exception before today's system update and that was Lubuntu. After updating my Lubuntu OS today, not only did it completely get stuck when I tried to shut it down but it did the 90 second boot stall on the same hard drive.
There is some good news in all of this. I have been planning to abandon that desktop, (Dell 0510.) While I am rather fond of Zorin 9, On other equipment I have not had that boot stalling problem.

Are you thinking it may be a physical error with the disk on that system?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:35:42 am

Aravisian wrote:Are you thinking it may be a physical error with the disk on that system?

Or faulty controller/cable/mbr?