This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Get TOR Browser on Zorin OS 15 Core

MBMz10

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:24:00 am

TOR is a privacy orientated web browser and if you have tried to get the TOR Browser running and had trouble, I have created a 6m 15sec video showing a method that I use here: https://youtu.be/RFsb5JtNpoA

The software manager does have entries for TOR but I have not had much luck with them on Zorin and other Linux distro's. This is the easiest way I have found to get TOR Browser onto my Linux systems. It does not install but rather just runs from it own folder and the video shows how to create and add an entry to your Menu. No entries are added to your system updater or PPA's etc and TOR checks for updates each time it is run.

TOR Browser is built from Firefox so should look and feel similar however it is slower than regular browsers due to the way it works, it may also allow you to get around Geo blocking and other forms or Internet censorship. If you haven't used it before expect a few surprises! It is not intended for illegal or nefarious purposes and I do not recommend such practices. A little extra privacy online, if we even have any at all...

You may have issues using it for Internet Banking or some sites because you will appear to be coming form another location in the world, I haven't tried this or had any issues thus far.

You can delete the folder and remove the menu entries and leave no trace of TOR on your system like deleting any other file or folder should you choose to.
Leave some feedback on your experience if you give it a go!

Aravisian

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:21:21 am

Great walk-through.
Starty and Timey will be very pleased.
I had tried to work with Tor Browser back when I first installed Zorin the very first time and made a huge mess of it. I now am using Waterfox, but I like having the option to use TOR as a standalone browser when I need to spy on the Russi... I mean, protect my privacy.

MBMz10

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:05:32 am

Thanks.
It was time I started to figure TOR out.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36:45 pm

Or run Tails in a VM? :twisted:

MBMz10

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:21:46 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Or run Tails in a VM? :twisted:

TAILS don't recommend doing that from memory!

I was using another distro with TOR in a VM for a while, but a lot easier to just start TOR now that I can :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:57:11 pm

Here's something I only just recently found out from my city forum: DNS over HTTPS = DoH. :lol:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-en ... n-firefox/

MBMz10

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:19:20 pm

Bookmarked, rather interesting. I was looking into some DNS options.
If it gets much harder we'll be passing notes under the desks again...