This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Android based ui concept for a new generation

nMaib0

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:21:33 pm

it would be nice if Zorin had a layout similar to this concept for android/smartphone users and people who don't like most types of desktops used today, I personally think bars, top bars, full screen launchers among others are pretty bloated and invasive, I like using my programs in full screen and focus on them while switching via ALT+TAB

https://streamable.com/ljfod

Version 2:

https://streamable.com/r5xub

Aravisian

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:28:57 am

Progress has to march on, I suppose.

I am your polar opposite. In fact, when Windows switched to having "charms..." and in order to find and open apps you had to "hover the stupid mouse in some hidden unknown mystery corner of the screen," was the major turning point in my hatred toward Windows. I stuck to Windows XP until my hard drive finally bit the dust. When it did, I moved over to linux to get away from that errant fallacy.

Having clearly defined functions that are placed in an organized manner that don't hide, float around, have to be hovered over to make it pop up and appear in order to actually be available and useful is far more important to people like me.
Desktops are desktops and mobile is mobile. Mobile is the way it is not because it is functionally superior, but because it was the only reasonable way to make it work lacking a proper keyboard, mouse and full sized screen. Android is loosely Unix based but heavily more ARM and java, so far removed at this point that it is easier to emulate Android on an MS machine than it is on a Linux machine.
Do not worry, if you like charms and apps that hide from you along with a cluttered desktop with many vibrant colors that make you feel like you are trippin on LSD, Microsoft is geared Full Steam Ahead to "got ya covered." Only be warned, unlike Linux Panels and toolbars which are in no way whatsoever invasive by any stnadard on the planet Earth, MS is invasive, using your computer as a server to supply updates to all their users for free, while they charge you a subscription for their services.

Alternatively, you can get a Chromebook and load it up with an Android operating system.

For those of us that like our Desktops to behave like sane logical desktops instead of clubbed together half-function android mobile devices or MS desperate hopes in marketability, we stick to the Big Boy Operating Systems.

nMaib0

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:07:49 am

I really really disagree with this way of looking at things. I think things should appear on your screen and be accessible in order of importance and usability. Why must I have icons on the screen that I rarely access? Specially taking up vertical space. I don't care why android works the way it is or why microsoft steals your information. Visually speaking having a horizontal bar at all times on the lower side of your screen is just invasibe and counter productive since most of your focus is on the top right. if you open a new program every 5 minutes there's no need to have an icon always on the screen telling you this is where you need to click, same reason menu bars havedisappeared from internet browsers, you just don't use them frequently so it's pointless to have them taking up space, in fact, many people myself included just use ALT when accessing the menu bar and don't even have booksmark bars instead icons that expand a list of bookmarks.

look at the windows desktop http://prntscr.com/ou62al or macos desktop which is worse and ell me you don't get bothered by all the wasted space, http://prntscr.com/ou61h1

Look at that c***, if it isn't on your thoughts it should not be on the screen, that is how a real desktop should flow, you think it, then you see it and your ability to get to it must depend on how frequent you think about it, everything else is a distraction.

Aravisian

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46:08 pm

nMaib0 wrote:I think things should appear on your screen and be accessible in order of importance and usability.

With your Linux O.S., you have a choice of setting things up that way if you like.
You also have a choice as to whether or not to have a taskbar or panel, at all. You may use keyboard shortcuts to pop open your menu.
What you stated above makes it sound like you want the O.S. to make that choice for us.
IF the O.S. is set up to hide and reveal icons by its choosing instead of your own, you are losing that control and that choice.
As it is currently, you and I can totally disagree and we both have the freedom to express that individuality without impacting the others freedom.
But if people who think as you do speak up enough, then I start losing that choice, I start losing that freedom and control while you get your way.
This is already happening with Android and Windows and sadly- it is starting to Happen With Gnome/Gnu. GTK3 has taken serious strides toward that - limiting User Control and freedom of expression.
Linux has always offered the platform of more user control and freedom- WHY is it trending now toward its removal?
Because a bunch of Microsoft users came over and said, "We want your product because it is free, but we demand you do it like Microsoft does so we don't have to Think or Be Responsible for our desktops. Just think for me, pander to me and give me your free product."
nMaib0 wrote: Why must I have icons on the screen that I rarely access?

You have a choice.
You do not have to have icons on the screen that you rarely access. I do not have icons on my screen that I rarely access.
nMaib0 wrote:Specially taking up vertical space.

The example you gave shows a window that pops open revealing icons in the Android Style. I see that it takes up quite a lot of space.
It takes up far more space than my panel does. My panel is set to 48px, even.
The example you showed implies that it autohides. I can set my panel to Auto-hide, as well- if I choose.
nMaib0 wrote: I don't care why android works the way it is or why microsoft steals your information. Visually speaking having a horizontal bar at all times on the lower side of your screen is just invasibe and counter productive since most of your focus is on the top right.

Again, you (and I) have a choice. You can move the panel where-ever you like, you can make it horizontal, vertical or set it to auto-hide, which I avoid at all times and you seem to prefer. As it is, we both have the choice, the control to make it as we wish.
The panel is not invasive. Invasive means that it access your personal information. You feel it is space consuming and that is fine- you have every right to have a different preference.
But you can reduce the size of the panel, you can instruct it to take any shape you wish, you can have it autohide...you can have your way and I can have mine. However, the project you link to would allow you your choice while disallowing mine.
To me, it is important to prevent that trend.
If you like, I can (happily) show you how to set your settings up to have your panels act as you wish.
nMaib0 wrote:if you open a new program every 5 minutes there's no need to have an icon always on the screen telling you this is where you need to click, same reason menu bars have disappeared from internet browsers, you just don't use them frequently so it's pointless to have them taking up space, in fact, many people myself included just use ALT when accessing the menu bar and don't even have booksmark bars instead icons that expand a list of bookmarks.

I use my menu bars frequently.
You have the choice to use alt- but if the menu bars disappear, I lose my choice to use things by my preference even as you keep yours.
nMaib0 wrote:look at the windows desktop http://prntscr.com/ou62al or macos desktop which is worse and ell me you don't get bothered by all the wasted space, http://prntscr.com/ou61h1

It does not bother me, at all. Space is "wasted" when it is not being productively used. Wide open empty spaces where your icons and access to your apps is hidden seems more wasteful to me. That empty space is not being used when it could be. Yes, I like wide open space for manipulating images in gimp- to be sure. But I have that space when I open Gimp.
If the taskbar or panel bothers you, you can set it to below or to Auto-hide.
nMaib0 wrote:Look at that c***, if it isn't on your thoughts it should not be on the screen, that is how a real desktop should flow, you think it, then you see it and your ability to get to it must depend on how frequent you think about it, everything else is a distraction.

If it isn't on my thoughts, I may need the reminder.
I often open my app menu trying to remember what I opened it for. You know when you are in a hurry and have fifteen things going on in your head at once... If that is the case, imagine what trouble it would be for me if I cannot even FIND the hidden corner where you have to hover the mouse to find the app menu first. THAT would be a distraction.
With a set panel, I can see what I need and what I use regularly, because I set that panel up, I set and chose what icons to put on it and it is Always There, Where I Need It When I Need it.
I don't have to hunt it down or wonder where it went. I do not need to stop what I am doing - be distracted - by trying to Find the Thing and Make it Appear. By the time I get it located and up on the screen, I was so distracted, I have to stop and think to remember what it was I wanted it for.
And the last thing I want is for my O.S. or my computer to try to think for me. It does not need to pander to reading my mind and providing what I want most. That is how Facebook works and I avoid Facebook like plague.
The idea of supplying only what you think about is fundamentally flawed- it limits you to your own habits and disallows you from exploring new things, examining things in a different way. News Feeds that present you with only what you commonly look at or read limit your world view and warp your perceptions.

In my long-winded fashion, I think I have established that we both have different ideals and we both have the freedom to control our dekstops and express those controls as we see fit- even if we are both wanting a bit more.
You found a project that seeks to offer more of what you want by design. That's fine. But it is unreasonable to request all other O.S.'s follow suit.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:49:20 pm

Then there is always Alt+ F2 and enter what you are looking for. If you want minimalist, then E-live 3.0.0.6 might be what you want - left-click the desktop anywhere for a traditional app menu, or right-click the desktop anywhere for tabbed/iconed window. ;) :D

Left-click:

E-live left-click.jpg

Right-click:

E-live right-click.jpg

Aravisian

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:13:57 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Then there is always Alt+ F2 and enter what you are looking for. If you want minimalist, then E-live 3.0.0.6

Antix is also just as minimalist, right? That is a non-systemd O.S.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:43:38 pm

AntiX 17.x has a Win2k style menu with an LXDE style Panel in an xfce DE! ;)

I'd link to some nice pics but the site that hosted them from somebody else is no longer in use! :(

See the first desktop screenshot on this page:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/antix/a ... 38f885cdd4

nMaib0

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48:17 pm

Aravisian

Code:
With your Linux O.S., you have a choice of setting things up that way if you like.

I actually don't that's why I am asking for another type of layout, there's like 5 or 6 layouts available already, and I am taking freedom from you?

Code:
What you stated above makes it sound like you want the O.S. to make that choice for us.
IF the O.S. is set up to hide and reveal icons by its choosing instead of your own, you are losing that control and that choice.

Again, I am not losing any control, I am asking for a feature that is how I would like to use a desktop computer, not with taskbars or bloated docks.

Code:
As it is currently, you and I can totally disagree and we both have the freedom to express that individuality without impacting the others freedom.
But if people who think as you do speak up enough, then I start losing that choice, I start losing that freedom and control while you get your way.

if people who think like me speak enough we would have another kind of desktop, not tyles, not docks not taskbars, but an invisible launcher that activates with a scroll, and somehow me wanting that stops you from having the others? I have simply voices my dislike for those types of desktops, not that I want to stop people from having them.

Code:
This is already happening with Android and Windows and sadly- it is starting to Happen With Gnome/Gnu. GTK3 has taken serious strides toward that - limiting User Control and freedom of expression.

take it up with them then, I simply was proposing a different way of using your OS. You somehow took it personal

Code:
Linux has always offered the platform of more user control and freedom- [b]WHY [/b]is it trending now toward its removal?

I don't know, I would argue it isn't, but I also would argue you don't want me to have my freedom even though it doesn't stop yours, so what are you arguing for anyways? just for the sake of opposing me since I don't represent any danger to you, you still vcan have your shitty bottom taskbar.

Code:
Because a bunch of Microsoft users came over and said, "We want your product because it is free, but we demand you do it like Microsoft does so we don't have to Think or Be Responsible for our desktops. Just think for me, pander to me and give me your free product."

What the hell are you talking about?

Code:
Why must I have icons on the screen that I rarely access?[/quote]

You have a choice.
You do not have to have icons on the screen that you rarely access. I do not have icons on my screen that I rarely access.

if you have a dock, you miss the tray icons, therefore you must have a tray, or a taskbar, or whatever that think on top in gnome 3 is.

Code:
The example you gave shows a window that pops open revealing icons in the Android Style. I see that it takes up quite a lot of space.
It takes up far more space than my panel does. My panel is set to 48px, even.

yeah your panel and by panel I guess taskbar, autohides but it sucks, it goes from top to bottom or from left to right, meaning there's a lot of spae being covered. as you can see in the video everything gets pushes to the part of the screen that gets more use, the top left and the moment you want to stop using it you stop it.

Code:
Again, you (and I) have a choice. You can move the panel where-ever you like, you can make it horizontal, vertical or set it to auto-hide, which I avoid at all times and you seem to prefer. As it is, we both have the choice, the control to make it as we wish.

And they still suck in my opinion, but you got your freedom of choice, and you antagonize me trying to get mine, heh.

Code:
The panel is not invasive. Invasive means that it access your personal information. You feel it is space consuming and that is fine- you have every right to have a different preference.

invasive means occupying a territory you shouldn't be occupying, that's is exactly what the blank space left by taskbars and docks do, lke I showed on my pic.

Code:
you can have your way and I can have mine. However, the project you link to would allow you your choice while disallowing mine.

I actually can't have like in my initial post, hence why I am making a suggestion for a new layout, and somehow you think because I don't like the traditional desktops I want to stop people from using them.

Code:
To me, it is important to prevent that trend.

The trend of people having more choices?

Code:
If you like, I can (happily) show you how to set your settings up to have your panels act as you wish.

I don't know what you mean, there is no layout now that allows e to have it that way.

Code:
You have the choice to use alt- but if the menu bars disappear, I lose my choice to use things by my preference even as you keep yours.

where did you get this idea from?

Code:
It does not bother me, at all. Space is "wasted" when it is not being productively used. Wide open empty spaces where your icons and access to your apps is hidden seems more wasteful to me. That empty space is not being used when it could be. Yes, I like wide open space for manipulating images in gimp- to be sure. But I have that space when I open Gimp.

By your own words if you have a space that isn't being used by a program or the taskbar itself then that space is not productive, then if you don't have 20 programs the taskbar is not productive, and full screenprograms can't use that space, hence, it is going to waste. wide open space that gets used by programs all the time in full screen and also serves as an auto hide launcher is far superior. and android has proven it with the drop down notifications menu.

Code:
If the taskbar or panel bothers you, you can set it to below or to Auto-hide.

I already do hat, but they don't offer fast access to applications in a small reasonable way, you have to click it to open a damn srart menu invented in the 70s ora full screen bloated launcher.

Code:
If it isn't on my thoughts, I may need the reminder.
I often open my app menu trying to remember what I opened it for. You know when you are in a hurry and have fifteen things going on in your head at once... If that is the case, imagine what trouble it would be for me if I cannot even FIND the hidden corner where you have to hover the mouse to find the app menu first. THAT would be a distraction.

I don't, I don't open 15 programs at once and I remember what I am doing. I still think you should do what you are thinking, not what the computer tells you, that argument is the same people use for advertising, "hey I don't know what to buy, let's watch the buying channel". I don't want useless information and options I haven't asked for being displayed, very simple.

Code:
If that is the case, imagine what trouble it would be for me if I cannot even FIND the hidden corner where you have to hover the mouse to find the app menu first. THAT would be a distraction.

I don't know what this means, you can't find a corner on your monitor?
Code:
With a set panel, I can see what I need and what I use regularly, because I set that panel up, I set and chose what icons to put on it and it is Always There, Where I Need It When I Need it.
I don't have to hunt it down or wonder where it went. I do not need to stop what I am doing - be distracted - by trying to Find the Thing and Make it Appear. By the time I get it located and up on the screen, I was so distracted, I have to stop and think to remember what it was I wanted it for.

I don't have this proble, I am very fast with the ALT TAB shortcut.

Code:
The idea of supplying only what you think about is fundamentally flawed- it limits you to your own habits and disallows you from exploring new things, examining things in a different way. News Feeds that present you with only what you commonly look at or read limit your world view and warp your perceptions.

This is a fallacy, you are implying I might learn a thing or two by having more info, but what I am arguing for is hiding things you already know are there based on your need for them, like the hamburger menu does. I know the info is there, I just have no need for and when I don I am one click away from them.
Code:
In my long-winded fashion, I think I have established that we both have different ideals and we both have the freedom to control our dekstops and express those controls as we see fit- even if we are both wanting a bit more.

I actually don't

Code:
You found a project that seeks to offer more of what you want by design. That's fine. But it is unreasonable to request all other O.S.'s follow suit.

is it unreasonable to request another layout? come on, you are the one trying to stop me. I tell you, for many people the current dock/taskbar/tiles system is flawed, so what is wrong with offering another way?

Swarfendor437

No I just want a top left launcher that behaves like in my video https://streamable.com/r5xub

Edit: by the way I could argue that I want is more advanced than docks or taskbars. a panel that shows running programs, intalled programs, system icons and date is far more advanced than a taskbar or a dock since 1 shows you applications and the other doesn't show you installed applications but show you sytem icon. What I am asking is thw two worlds combined in a non intrusive way.

Aravisian

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:08:21 pm

1.)
nMaib0 wrote: I am asking for a feature that is how I would like to use a desktop computer, not with taskbars or bloated docks.

That is the thing you are not understanding: The feature you are asking for is what is Bloated.
It requires so much, in fact, that it leaves little room for other options. The developer must then make a choice: To offer those features or to offer the Standard Features.
But getting both into One O.S. does not work out well.
That being said, you can get very close to what you are describing, now. You do not have to have the large taskbar. Or panel that stretches across the screen.

I believe that you have not stopped to consider how non-trivial what you are asking for is. And I hope that in these three posts, I can help you understand the gravity of what it is that you are asking.
You are not alone in asking... MS Windows users vaguely kind of asked and MS Windows company was More Than Eager to rush in with the bloatware and offer it up as Shiny, New, Advanced and Amazing.
And... the people bought it. Hook, line and sinker.
It exists. But you also may notice that Windows 10 is heavy, bloated, requires high end computers to run, heavy resources and offers Little Customization. It also... Sucks. It bogs down, is very slow, crashes and has multitudes of problems.
One of the Richest, most powerful Corporations on the Planet cannot get it to work right and they cannot get it to work with the old NT Standard of User control, at all. The new "Think for you interface" operates in direct conflict with the NT standard, requiring extensive patching and links-between to get it to work with the NT standard and after doing so, the O.S. is too big to fit on any reasonable modern computer. So, the old NT Standard must be done away with.

And that is what you are asking for here. It may not be your INTENTION, but it would be the Result.
Below, I will try to explain how you can still have what you want. I am running into an interesting problem- When I upload the images, the forum software says "Entity too large." I Will try using a separate post to do it.

Aravisian

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:10:30 pm

2.)
So, above, I point out that you can have something kind of like what you want, no large cross-screen taskbar, etc. Let's see if I can help you see how that can happen, now.
nMaib0 wrote:yeah your panel and by panel I guess taskbar, autohides but it sucks, it goes from top to bottom or from left to right, meaning there's a lot of space being covered.

You can customize the size, shape and length of a panel, if you want to.
Allow me to show you:
Here is an open desktop screen- I have started a panel on it:
You can see the New Panel in the creation in the upper middle of the screen. It's empty and small. IF I want, I can lock it down right where it is and operate it from there. OR, I can move it anywhere else that I like. As you can see, it does not stretch itself across the screen unless I tell it to do so. It doesn't Think For Me.
I must now create a THIRD post because the next image exceeds the post size limit.

Aravisian

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:20:02 pm

3.)
Let's change that empty and small part...
Instead of it being rectangular, we can square it out.
We can then position it in a corner that we prefer it to be in, then set it to Autohide and reveal itself when you hover the mouse over it. Add our apps and icons to it and it is starting to take shape..
We can make the background translucent, transparent, colored, hold a photo image... I can also round out the corners, instead of sharp and square. I can adjust its width and length as much as I want in any direction. Ok, I cannot make it move at an angle across the screen...
It can hide when not being used and appear when I hover over it. That feature exists- granted, I personally dislike it and never use it but it's fine if others do.
I will not continue with the Imgur Demonstration with Photos, because I do not want to add that much outside linking to the forum server, but I think you get the idea.
Okay.... it is not exactly what you describe, but it is reasonably close. True, it cannot watch your movements and Think For You. For it to do that requires a Lot of actual real Bloatware to do that.
Yes, an O.S. CAN be made to do those things you describe but when it must think for you, then that space is occupied, not on your screen, perhaps, but on your drive and in your Processor. And it takes up a LOT more space than even the fattest of taskbars. That takes up a lot of computation, leaving little room for much else.
And from a developers point of view, they do not want to invest the time in creating Two distinct Operating Systems in one, then patching them both together, with all the additional problems that raises. They will opt for One System and try to limit the Bug Complaints and C.S. to follow.
It definitely does not leave room for the Standard that you dislike. So, if operating systems switched over to Your way, you would get what you want, and the rest of us would be trying to find an operating system that isn't so swollen, that can carry the types of customization and software we are accustomed to. That would be removed by necessity and frankly, unwillingness to over-burden themselves, by the developers.
Yes, what you describe is more advanced and more advanced comes at a price. Not just in processor resources and disk space, not just in technological limitations (When we develop Quantum Computing, perhaps?) but in losing the Standard we have to make room for your (And others that speak the same as you) request. I speak against your request because you wouldn't be paying that price- I would. You would be happy with the outcome because you would gain what you believe you do not have. But we others would lose what we have only for you to gain an unnecessary and bloated advancement over what You Already Have.
You may not agree; You may not BELIEVE that is how it would work it.

But IT IS.

We have already been paying that price. Gnu/Gnome has already geared toward it- Canonical has shifted its eyes that way and Git is now owned by Microsoft. We are losing ground, quickly.

If you are willing, I would be very happy to show you how you can Think For Yourself and take control of your desktop so that you can employ what you already have to the desires you have for it. Agreed... it will not position itself for you based on your work habits... You would have to position it yourself or reposition it if you decide later you dislike it holding that position.
Agreed, you would have to Tell it To AutoHide instead of it being fully automated for you.

But other than that... It would be very near to what you want. Yes, you would have to do some work yourself... You would have to learn what your current operating system is capable of...
OR, you can Buy Microsoft who are more than happy to do the work for you for a sum, then leave you hanging on the line when it breaks.

nMaib0

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:49:29 pm

Aravisian

Code:
It requires so much, in fact, that it leaves little room for other options. The developer must then make a choice: To offer those features or to offer the Standard Features.
But getting both into One O.S. does not work out well.

What are you talking about, how is a rectangle with pinned applications and a few icons plus media player integration bloated? seems to me that you could build a standalone program with qt or something that accomplished just that. it's just a box with icons.

Code:
MS Windows users vaguely kind of asked and MS Windows company was More Than Eager to rush in with the bloatware and offer it up as Shiny, New, Advanced and Amazing.
And... the people bought it. Hook, line and sinker.

Microsoft doesn't have anything they have an awful and disorganized start menu that can be resized. I still fail to see how a rectangle with icons will make zorinOS bloated.

After reading that long text about resources and computations and whatnot I still wonder why making a square invisible and able to become visible is so different from hovering an icon and displaying a start menu when you click.

And I have no idea what you mean by teaching me to think for myself, seems to me that you are the cheap who uses something that everybody else uses and I actually want something that is there when I want it to be, not all the time.

By the way ZorinOS has problems with the taskbar mode too, I can't seem to place is left and vertical.

nMaib0

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:54:50 pm

I just replied to you but don't know why it didn't submit. Long story short, all desktop OSs have terrible way of using them, for me at least and no distro offers a solution.

by the way, ZorinOS has no vertical mode, autohide on top gets triggered and stops me from using firefox all the time, I can't order the bookmarked directories to my liking in the file explorer, I have terrible screen tearing due to having a hybrid gpu, Manually selecting updates fails because of dependencies so I have to be forced to install all of them, Installed mpv and it doesn't work. all within 20 minutes of using the OS.

Why is an OS that most people can't use and doesn't work out the box still called FREE? I don't understand.

Aravisian

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:21:44 am

nMaib0 wrote:I just replied to you but don't know why it didn't submit. Long story short, all desktop OSs have terrible way of using them, for me at least and no distro offers a solution.

It definitely sounds like you have very particular tastes and preferences. I believe that you should have an O.S. that meets your needs. I Do stand by my point that another O.S. cannot be expected to be Fully Changed into something else for your needs. However, a New O.S. or a New Design would be a good thing.
You would need a Whole New kind of Desktop Environment, at least. You MAY explore alternative Desktop Environments aside from the usual Gnome, Plasma or XFCE. Like Enlightenment or Awesome DE and others.
Sadly, at this time... The foundation or infrastructure that is in place would need some drastic changes to meet all of your demands. But if you can make a full list of all things, as you have done some of in this thread, maybe we can help you to find ways of meeting some of them for now. It may not be perfect but it could be more tolerable than "Terrible" is.
nMaib0 wrote:by the way, ZorinOS has no vertical mode, autohide on top gets triggered and stops me from using firefox all the time, I can't order the bookmarked directories to my liking in the file explorer, I have terrible screen tearing due to having a hybrid gpu, Manually selecting updates fails because of dependencies so I have to be forced to install all of them, Installed mpv and it doesn't work. all within 20 minutes of using the OS.

Completely on a whim one day, I hooked up a second monitor to my computer. I will Never Go Back to One Monitor again.
The second monitor is my wide open clean workspace. Nothing goes on it other than the things I am working on. The first monitor is my primary, where I have the icons, conky displays and menus.
If you can get a second monitor hooked up- it May help you a great deal.
If you are willing to make threads in the Help and Support section, maybe we can team up to help resolve some concerns, complaints and issues - Yes, not perfectly so, but at lease to where you do not feel like every distro is terrible to use.

nMaib0 wrote:Why is an OS that most people can't use and doesn't work out the box still called FREE? I don't understand.

In Linux, "Free" has two basic meanings. One, clearly, is that you do not pay money for it. In this, Linux is unusual in that free really does mean FREE. In a lot of cases, something is called free when you actually pay for it in another way. For example, your cell phone provider may claim to give yo ua free phone with service, then charge you an additional monthly fee that covers the cost of the phone.
The other meaning of "Free" is Open Source- that it can be Freely copied, modified and distributed.

nMaib0

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:10:46 am

It definitely sounds like you have very particular tastes and preferences. I believe that you should have an O.S. that meets your needs.

I do I like using everything focused on the top left in a single toolbar, this is what my palemoon theme looked like a few years back https://imgur.com/CuIHqRl

Code:
You MAY explore alternative Desktop Environments aside from the usual Gnome, Plasma or XFCE. Like Enlightenment or Awesome DE

will try them, although I still think there's not much difference between an icon that shows a start menu and an invisible icon that activates a similar menu when you scroll over it.

Aravisian

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:24:59 am

nMaib0 wrote:
will try them, although I still think there's not much difference between an icon that shows a start menu and an invisible icon that activates a similar menu when you scroll over it.

I have two invisible icons on my primary monitor. I placed them there for a particular function.
They unhide if you hover over them.
You are right, there is very little difference between them. If we talk about changing the entire function of the desktop environment, differences start expanding.
But as you say, if there is very little difference between them in your single example- can we alter things for you to allow you to have what you are looking for?

I used a couple bash scripts to make my icons that I mentioned.

nMaib0

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:04:10 am

Well that is up to the devs, I asked for it, I don't know if there are people that would like it that way, I guess there are, I am not that speial and I know tons of people who prefer to focus on the top left corner. And I hate to quote Steve Jobs but people really don't know what they want until you show it to them.

Aravisian

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:25:00 am

nMaib0 wrote:Well that is up to the devs, I asked for it, I don't know if there are people that would like it that way, I guess there are, I am not that speial and I know tons of people who prefer to focus on the top left corner. And I hate to quote Steve Jobs but people really don't know what they want until you show it to them.

I would ammend the quote slightly to say that sometimes people don't know what they want until you show it to them. As with many things, it's "never always."

Sometimes, I want something until I experience it. Sometimes, I don't want something until I experience it. And habits also play a role- perhaps they want it and perhaps they like it, but old habits die hard and they never use it.

However, I asked about what can be done, now. What can we do to help you at this time. What teaks and adjustments can we help you to make on your computer?
I find it highly unlikely the developers would be interested in developing a whole new desktop. Zorin is a Compilation, not a foundation. The Zorin Team does it very well.... But they gather and compile, not create from scratch. And this is true for the vast majority of developers putting out distros.

star treker

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:59:04 pm

Ohhhh how I miss the desktop days, when there was one in everybodies household, before mobile made people stupid, before Pokimon Go made people walk into a street and get hit by a car.

Aravisian

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:04:57 pm

star treker wrote:before mobile made people stupid, before Pokimon Go made people walk into a street and get hit by a car.

Sounds like a self-solving problem, to me.

star treker

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:48:22 pm

Well, you hang in there buddy ok, your amazing. Just take a break, shake out that negative energy, and then return to what you love to do. Every artist has a moment where they need to take a step back. Deviant Art will be your new home for your creations. I don't think you earn money for your uploads though, but at least you have a place to upload.

nMaib0

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:42:30 pm

This OS still looks like everything else though why would people consider it? There's no originality behind it.

Aravisian

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00:56 pm

nMaib0 wrote:This OS still looks like everything else though why would people consider it? There's no originality behind it.

I am curious... I have never seen you post anything but negativity toward Zorin O.S. and while you are guided by your preferences and have every right to them (And you could be making agreeable points) - Why do you keep coming back to it?
If Zorin O.S. does not meet your requirements, why do you keep returning to comment? I can only figure that there is Something About It That You Like.
Something that keeps pulling you back. If that is the case, could you please say what it is? What is it that you Do Like about Zorin?
If not- then why are you here? What is your motive?

One of the things I really like about Zorin is that it is Performance-based, not GUI-in-your-face-look-at-all-the-goodies-based. Like Makulu or Manjaro, where after loading it up, I spent thirty minutes trying to get past all the "amazing Options!" fluff before I could get to the things that matter to me.