This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problems with isntallation

fabiola

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33:55 am

Hi everyone,
Im trying to install Zorin on my laptop HP but when i entered to the menu to install (try or install) i select the first option or the others (save grafics, ex.) dont charge zorin and appears the message in the photo. i tried to install on another laptop HP and it work very well, with the same USB. Previously i tried with other USB, same problem so i try with this new one. It is not on the faster boot mode. Ah! the laptop had windows 10.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:04:59 pm

Have you checked your BIOS settings to enable legacy boot for the USB to boot from? Have you disabled fast boot in the BIOS? ;) :D

mdiemer

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:21:14 pm

I think that if you are installing Linux to the whole drive, it is a good idea to choose the default option. That way, you will overwrite whatever was on it before. Obviously, this means a loss of all data, so you need to have saved it somewhere if you intend to keep it. If that does not work, then your problem must be with your computer's BIOS settings, as indicated above.

Aravisian

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:28:16 pm

mdiemer wrote:I think that if you are installing Linux to the whole drive, it is a good idea to choose the default option. That way, you will overwrite whatever was on it before. Obviously, this means a loss of all data, so you need to have saved it somewhere if you intend to keep it. If that does not work, then your problem must be with your computer's BIOS settings, as indicated above.

If Fabiola is wanting to Dual Boot Windows10 and Zorin, sadly he cannot overwrite the whole drive.
Although we might believe that is a great idea:D

fabiola

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53:15 pm

I want to delete windows 10, not dual boot. when i tried was in legacy and disabled faster boot.

Aravisian

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:05:29 pm

It looks like Gvfs is accessing udev and gdev at the same time, causing it to fail to find device and loop back around.
The fix may be to remove the enabling of udev, but I am not sure how to do that for your installation. let me see if I can find some information.

Did you download your copy of Zorin OS direct from Zorin page?
https://zorinos.com/download/15/core/64/

fabiola

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:32:29 pm

i download zorin from zorin page and use rufus

Aravisian

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:19:22 pm

fabiola wrote:i download zorin from zorin page and use rufus

I have found a known bug that is attached to Ubuntu 18.04 in regards to this that has an upstream solution.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1755968
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/com ... 67072dcb3f

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:38:12 pm

Now that we know Windows 10 is on the machine, have you also disabled the advanced (not shown) power settings to turn the hard drive 'sleep' function off? This also interferes with installation. Also, does the notebook have an SSD driver or HDD? If the latter manufacturers often create 4 primary partitions which prevents any other system from running (from my experience of trying to run 32-bit older Zorin on HP Mini 110 netbook. ;)

mdiemer

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56:36 pm

Since he doesn't want Windows on the drive, why not just clean the drive with something like D-Ban? That should restore it to virgin condition. It would at least eliminate drive problems (hidden partitions and so on) as the cause of the problem. Zorin would format the drive during install.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:10:45 pm

mdiemer wrote:Since he doesn't want Windows on the drive, why not just clean the drive with something like D-Ban? That should restore it to virgin condition. It would at least eliminate drive problems (hidden partitions and so on) as the cause of the problem. Zorin would format the drive during install.

On newer notebooks, BIOS lockdowns are getting worse - a member of my local LUG purchased a new notebook and was fortunate to get his money back as it would not install GNU/Linux period. :(

mdiemer

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:38:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
mdiemer wrote:Since he doesn't want Windows on the drive, why not just clean the drive with something like D-Ban? That should restore it to virgin condition. It would at least eliminate drive problems (hidden partitions and so on) as the cause of the problem. Zorin would format the drive during install.

On newer notebooks, BIOS lockdowns are getting worse - a member of my local LUG purchased a new notebook and was fortunate to get his money back as it would not install GNU/Linux period. :(

That is very disconcerting. As mentioned before, I am planning to get my wife a new notebook and put Zorin 15 on it. Now I have to research which ones will allow me to do that? Makes me want to get the star Labs Zorin machines. The 11 inch is decently priced, but the specs aren't clear enough. For example, I can't see how many USB ports it has. Other than that, it looks great. Attractive, light-weight, comes with Zorin; what more could you want?

Aravisian

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18:08 pm

mdiemer wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:

That is very disconcerting. As mentioned before, I am planning to get my wife a new notebook and put Zorin 15 on it. Now I have to research which ones will allow me to do that? Makes me want to get the star Labs Zorin machines. The 11 inch is decently priced, but the specs aren't clear enough. For example, I can't see how many USB ports it has. Other than that, it looks great. Attractive, light-weight, comes with Zorin; what more could you want?

In the news lately are articles about how MS is deciding to play oh so nice with Linux.
MS influenced HW design is going the other way.
The odoriferous cloud of rat-scent.

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52:55 am

From a custom build option I would opt for the Nova computers but I think I will have to retire first before I can purchase one! :shock: