This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 15 Education released!

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11:42 pm

kpinvt

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:03:07 pm

Tap, tap, tap, is this thing on? No comments in any of the sub-forums after September 25, 2019?

bcnaz

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56:24 am

Hello,
What are the hardware requirements for the newest Zorin 15 Education edition ?
( to run smoothly, not too slow)
Will a 2.1ghz dual core cpu with 4gb of ram, 60gb solid-state hard drive suffice,
In older laptops such as the Dell D520 and D531's ?
The D531's in particular have the option of assigning up to 256mb of ram for graphic use.
The repair/replacement parts seem to be plentiful and inexpensive.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:53:51 am

bcnaz wrote:Hello,
What are the hardware requirements for the newest Zorin 15 Education edition ?
( to run smoothly, not too slow)
Will a 2.1ghz dual core cpu with 4gb of ram, 60gb solid-state hard drive suffice,
In older laptops such as the Dell D520 and D531's ?
The D531's in particular have the option of assigning up to 256mb of ram for graphic use.
The repair/replacement parts seem to be plentiful and inexpensive.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

I think you will be struggling with 256 Mb Graphics - I would give 12.4 Education a spin and see how you get on with that - even then you might be struggling in respect of graphics. :(

Alessio

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:42:45 pm

Hi everybody, I'm a new ZorinOS user and I just registered to the forums.
Just a quick question: right now I'm using Zorin Education 15, is it worth it to try Core 15 too? Or is it just exactly the same OS, only with Edu Apps preinstalled?
Thanks anybody who'll reply!

Alessio

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:13:04 pm

I'll get back to you in due course. :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:29:20 pm

Here is a list of what each version has:

Zorin 15 Education:

Accessories: Calculator, Clocks, Files (Nautilus), Maps, Text Editor, To Do, Weather, Writetype.

Education: Blinken (Simon says game), Childsplay, Gcompris Educational Suite, GeoGebra,
Kanagram, KBruch, KTouch, KTurtle (Logo type application), KWordQuiz, Scratch Desktop (Animation creation), Step, Tux Math, Tux Paint, Tux Typing, Veyon Configurator, Veyon Master, Wondertype.

Games: AisleRiot Solitaire, eduActiv8, gbrainy, Katomic, Laby, Mahjongg, Mines, Minetest (Minecraft), Pentobi (Pentagram game), Potato Guy, Quadrapassel, Sudoku.

Graphics: Blender, Darktable Photo Workflow Software, Dia Diagram Editor, Document Viewer, E-book Viewer, GIMP, Inkscape Vector Graphics Editor, Krita (Paint Application), LibreCad, LibreOffice Draw, LRF Viewer, Scribus (DTP), Shotwell Photo Manager,
Simple Scan.

Internet: Firefox, Remmina Remote Desktop Client, Veyon Configurator, Veyon Master.

Office: Calendar, Calibre (E-book Viewer/Converter), Contacts, Dictionary, Document Viewer (pdfs), E-book Editor, Evolution Mail and Calendar, LibreOffice Base, LIbreOffice Calc, LibreOffice Draw, LibreOffice Impress, LibreOffice Writer, Planner Project Management (Gantt Chart creator), VYM - View Your Mind - spider diagram creation tool, Xournal++

Programming: Builder, Fritzing, Sysprof.

Science: Avogardo, GNU Octave, KAlgebra, Kalzium (Periodic Table), KDE Marble (Open Source equivalent of Google Earth), Rocs, Stellarium.

Sound and Video: Ardour5, Audacity, Brasero Disc Burner, Cheese Webcam Booth, Gespeaker, Kdenlive, MuseScore 2, Pitivi, QJackCtl, Rhythmbox Music Player, Videos, VLC media player, Xjadeo

System Tools:
Administration, Preferences, Gparted Partition Editor, Power Statistics, Software.

Utilities: Archive Manager, Backups, Characters, Disks, Disk Usage Analyzer, Fonts, Help, Image Viewer, Logs, Passwords and Keys, Screenshot, System Monitor, Terminal.

Zorin 15 Core r1:

Accessories: Calculator, Files (Nautilus), gedit Text Editor, Gnome Clocks, Maps, To Do, Weather.

Games: AisleRiot Solitaire, Mahjongg, Mines, Quadrapassel, Sudoku

Graphics: Document Viewer, GIMP, LibreOffice Draw, Shotwell Photo Manager, Simple Scan.

Internet: Firefox, Remmina Remote Desktop Client.

Office: Calendar, Contacts, Document Viewer, Evolution Mail and Calendar, LibreOffice Base, LibreOffice Calc, LibreOffice Draw, LibreOffice Impress, LibreOffice Writer.

Sound and Video: Brasero Disc Burner, Cheese Webcam Booth, Pitivi, Rhythmbox Music Player, Videos.

System Settings: Firewall Configuration, Language Support.

System Tools: Administration; Boot Repair, Install Zorin OS 15, Software Updater.
Preferences; Disks, Input Method, Main Menu, Settings, Startup Applications, Zorin Appearance, Zorin Connect.

Utilities: Archive Manager, Backups, Characters, Disks, Disk Usage Analyzer, Fonts, Help, Image Viewer, Logs, Passwords and Keys, Screenshot, System Monitor, Terminal.

Alessio

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:07:05 am

Thank you Swarfendor437,
I'll stick to the Education version, then!

Bye!
Alessio

lolikatica

Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:11:54 am

one sugesstion upgrade kernel for last version for not freeze pc zorin not stable if kernel 4.15 upgrade to 5.3.11

Aravisian

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:56:16 am

lolikatica wrote:one sugesstion upgrade kernel for last version for not freeze pc zorin not stable if kernel 4.15 upgrade to 5.3.11

This is interesting because I had the exact opposite experience. Kernel 5.3 was problematic, rolled back to 4.15.0-70 and now is perfect.

lolikatica

Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:15:39 pm

Aravisian wrote:
lolikatica wrote:one sugesstion upgrade kernel for last version for not freeze pc zorin not stable if kernel 4.15 upgrade to 5.3.11

This is interesting because I had the exact opposite experience. Kernel 5.3 was problematic, rolled back to 4.15.0-70 and now is perfect.

not for me like not good for all intell hardware and asrock its freezeing all on 5.3 is fixed freeze

Aravisian

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:14:42 pm

lolikatica wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

not for me --like not good for all intell hardware--- and asrock ---its freezeing all--- on 5.3 is fixed freeze

I am using Intel hardware.
It is a great thing that you report problems and even suggest solutions. But please do not exaggerate and make very broad claims that can mislead.

lolikatica

Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:45:35 pm

bro its problem for (all) linux distros for 4.15 kernel for 5.3 is works perfect i not hate any distro and any kernel i found this bug for my hardware on 5.3 is fixed

Aravisian

Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:36:27 pm

lolikatica wrote:bro its problem for (all) linux distros for 4.15 kernel

bro, no it isn't.
lolikatica wrote: for all intel hardware

No, it isn't.

It is a moot point since Zorin 15 Lite does use the later kernel and not 4.15.
However, your inaccurate claim that ALL distros and ALL Intel hardware are working improperly with the 4.15 kernel must be refuted.
It will mislead people into thinking they have a problem that they do not have and mislead people into thinking that there is a solution that actually will not work.
There is not an all encompassing bug in the 4.15 series kernels that is ruining all Asrock and all Intel hardware and all distros.

There is some truth (a kernel of truth) to the idea that on SOME Machines, the later kernel will perform better on those machines that use the XFCE 4.14 Desktop Environment rather than the XFCE 4.12 Desktop Environment. This too, is not all encompassing.

lolikatica

Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:02:58 pm

maybe not for "all" hardware but for my hardware 4.15 is freeze 5.3 works linux perfect no freeze and is fast