This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

System Janitor for Zorin 15

Aravisian

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:11:20 am

For past week I have been testing out a variety of many system Janitors in GUI form.
It's a long list, but in short, it included BleachBit, FsLint, Ubuntu Cleaner and so on.
I tested several times a day for a bit over a week. The process was that I would run one Janitor, then run another. Later, I would reverse order.
The purpose of this was to see what the first janitor missed. Of course, this was a repeating loop in about 128 different combinations... Which is why it took so $#*&%! long.
So, my findings (Without bothering to publish in Peer Reviewed Journals, sorry ArXive...):
Ubuntu Cleaner won pretty much hands down. This GUI cleaner will work on Zorin 12.4 and Zorin 15, Ultimate, Core, Lite and Education editions.
Rather than cover the full list, I will compare just the Most Popular system janitors.
BleachBit cleaned more things in the listing; but missed a lot after completion that Ubuntu Cleaner did not miss.
BleachBit was also occasionally buggy.
FsLint was quite thorough, but difficult to use and confusing to operate. It is simple and effective but not very user friendly. It also missed a few items that Ubuntu Cleaner gobbled up.
Ubuntu Cleaner also cleaned old kernels as effectively as Synaptic and Ukuu. While many others offered more options that you could check on or off, Ubuntu Cleaner was simple, yet effective but offered less control over what you keep and what goes.
But I do not think it is much of a problem. The chances of someone wanting to keep odd bits is low. IF you do, BleachBit may be the better alternative.
But you may need to run it more than once. BleachBit also offers wiping of free space. Ubuntu Cleaner does not. But for most people, this really is unnecessary unless the Feds are watching you.
I have also tested GtkOrphan and while it is a great product, it must be handled gingerly and with great care because One Wrong Move and you will completely wipe out your entire OS and HDD. Not worth it and I no longer will allow GtkOrphan on my machine. (You can get around this with a terminal command to set much of your system to "Manually installed" But it's more trouble than it is worth.) Most of what GTK Orphan does is handled by apt autoremove and apt clean.

Lastly, Ubuntu Cleaner looks Great in Azenis theme with Azenis Icons. :D
That outta be enuff fer anybody!

---I Do Not Work for The Developer.---
But, if interested in installing:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gerardpuig/ppa

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-cleaner

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:04:57 pm

Hi Aravisian,

Great job (as always!). I have made your post a sticky so no-one has to go to page 5, then to page 7 to find it (yes I know where new postings go if I don't see it on the first page of the 'How-tos ...' [how sad is that?!]) :D

Aravisian

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:07:34 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Aravisian,

Great job (as always!). I have made your post a sticky so no-one has to go to page 5, then to page 7 to find it (yes I know where new postings go if I don't see it on the first page of the 'How-tos ...' [how sad is that?!]) :D

Good, cuz I am about to repeat the error.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:21:58 pm

Well before posting, select 'Sticky' below window - if not there, submit then edit, then make 'Sticky'. ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:23:13 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well before posting, select 'Sticky' below window - if not there, submit then edit, then make 'Sticky'. ;) :D

Well, I'm just an ordinary member. Didn't want to take liberties.

Besides, something about "sticky' and "computer" scares me.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:28:46 pm

That depends on:

1. PICNIC (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer)
2. What people were doing eating honey sandwiches over the keyboard! :roll:

tambler

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:21:48 am

Aravisian wrote:That outta be enuff fer anybody!

It behoves me to say that UC was not enough. On the other hand what is more than enough for almost all modern distros is the flexible and versatile Stacer - available as ppa, stand-alone or AppImage:

https://oguzhaninan.github.io/Stacer-Web/

Give it a try - you won't be disappointed!

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:06:44 pm

Yes, I included Stacer in the Unnofficial Manual as one of the must have apps! ;) :D