edit "log off"/lock/"power off"

Re: edit "log off"/lock/"power off"

Postby Swarfendor437 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:06 pm

I made a brief tour of Gno-Menu - it has been updated since (Gno-Menu, not the video!):

https://vimeo.com/222391756
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://www.deviantart.com/swarfendor437
https://trisquel.info/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby erikw » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I don't know if it will solve your issue but you can download Gno Menu in Gnome - Shell Extensions:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension- ... 9rlEtg.png

Alternatives:

https://www.slant.co/options/1124/alter ... ternatives

Enlightenment has only ever been successfully deployed in E-live but I was concerned that auto-install uses Reiser FS written by a German Linux file system creator for SuSE Linux who murdered his wife, and on electronic documentation is a link to a dodgy site that reviews **** sites - eugh!

thanks!
just installed gno-menu it and it seems a good alternative ! it seem to have nice features!
(and even would be a perfect alternative if the suspend button is at the bottom of the menu (sorry i'm not satisfied quickly :P ) so now trying to find out if those buttons can be placed at the bottom :mrgreen: )

(or maybe i have to lower my expectations of the adjustability and accept the default (and my shurtcut 'workaround' :) )
erikw

Postby Aravisian » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:43 pm

erikw wrote:(or maybe i have to lower my expectations of the adjustability and accept the default (and my shurtcut 'workaround' :) )

Sorry Swarf and well, Erikw...
For what you would like to customize, it sounds like WhiskerMenu would be the one for you. You can have the buttons at the top or at the bottom or not there, at all. You can adjust the opacity of the menu, what is within the menu, the size and shape of the menu easily.
There's a catch- it is for the XFCE4 panel. Personally, I use the WhiskerMenu version 1.5 as the latest version has LOST customization due to it being re-worked to operate on GTK3. You could install xfce4 panel, but you would have to run it alongside of your gnome panel.
Which leads to the next question:

Have you tried XFCE desktop?
Aravisian

Postby erikw » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:50 pm

Aravisian wrote:
erikw wrote:(or maybe i have to lower my expectations of the adjustability and accept the default (and my shurtcut 'workaround' :) )

Sorry Swarf and well, Erikw...
For what you would like to customize, it sounds like WhiskerMenu would be the one for you. You can have the buttons at the top or at the bottom or not there, at all. You can adjust the opacity of the menu, what is within the menu, the size and shape of the menu easily.
There's a catch- it is for the XFCE4 panel. Personally, I use the WhiskerMenu version 1.5 as the latest version has LOST customization due to it being re-worked to operate on GTK3. You could install xfce4 panel, but you would have to run it alongside of your gnome panel.
Which leads to the next question:

Have you tried XFCE desktop?

on an old laptop (at work) i have the xfce version of ZorinOS, had no need for custimozations (only use it for listening to radio-streams and it's always on bc of boinc manager doing computing for projects)
(also looked at linux mint but i preferred the looks of zorinos
on my private laptop xfce did not seem necesary so i installed the core version of zorinOS.
but switching to xfce is still a possibility (atm not yet too much customizations and applications installed)
and whiskermenu seems to be made for me ;)
i will also try this soution (try zorinos xfce and whiskermenu ) it in a VM to see if it fits my expectations :)

thanks for all your help so far
erikw

Postby Aravisian » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:58 pm

erikw wrote:i will also try this soution (try zorinos xfce and whiskermenu ) it in a VM to see if it fits my expectations :)

thanks for all your help so far

Just right click the WhiskerMenu on the panel and select properties and start playing around.
Aravisian

Postby erikw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:35 pm

@aravisian, @Swarfendor437
FYI i reinstalled my laptop with zorinos Lite (xfce) , feel more comfortable with this then with gnome (i 1st tried to install xfce4 , but that messed up my desktop )
after reinstall i had to delete some xfce related folders from my (preserved) /home , but now it seems okay
(although ' show desktop' doesn't exist under keyboard shortcuts (and the known shortcuts for it don't work.. but .. i made it available in a button on the panel)
workaround is using " wmctrl -k on" now for the shortcut (.. after a warning if i want to overwrite " show desktop" :-?
thanks again for helping !
erikw

Postby Aravisian » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:36 am

erikw wrote:@aravisian, @Swarfendor437
FYI i reinstalled my laptop with zorinos Lite (xfce) , feel more comfortable with this then with gnome (i 1st tried to install xfce4 , but that messed up my desktop )
after reinstall i had to delete some xfce related folders from my (preserved) /home , but now it seems okay
(although ' show desktop' doesn't exist under keyboard shortcuts (and the known shortcuts for it don't work.. but .. i made it available in a button on the panel)
workaround is using " wmctrl -k on" now for the shortcut (.. after a warning if i want to overwrite " show desktop" :-?
thanks again for helping !

It used to be ctrl+alt+d...
testing...
Yep, still is on mine.
Aravisian

Previous

Return to Help and Support