This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Backup Fail - Permission denied

ozstar

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:12:59 pm

Just got this message.

BackUp Failed
Error creating directory /media/david/500 Drive: Permission denied

Anyway I can resolve that please?

Aravisian

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:26:06 pm

ozstar wrote:Just got this message.

BackUp Failed
Error creating directory /media/david/500 Drive: Permission denied

Anyway I can resolve that please?

Are you using Deja-Dup?
When doing a back up of more than just ~ folder, such as the Root Folders, I always opened it with gksu on 12.4 Zorin.
What happens if you run deja-dup from terminal with superuser privileges?
In terminal
Code:
sudo su

then
Code:
deja-dup
Or replace deja-dup with the backup utility of your choice.

NOTE: the 'pkexec' command will not open deja-dup

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:48:36 am

I prefer to backup critical files by just backing up my '/home' folder (after ensuring all hidden files are shown) and dumping to external folder on external drive whilst not on the network. For a full system backup, redobackup from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/redobackup/files/

Note it cannot do relative sizing of drives such as Acronis or Macrium reflect etc.

ozstar

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:49:26 am

Still having probs with Deja although I will change the destination disk soon as it may have probs.
Before I do that I will download another backup app just to see if it works. If not, it may be the disk.
Swarfendor437 Thank you, I have downloaded that Redo and burnt it to a CD.
Do I have to run it everytime I want to do a backup from the CD, or is there an install to load it to the desktop and the CD is just to recover if needed?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:10:35 pm

You boot from the CD to backup and restore - it is very simple but just remember it cannot do proportional resizing. ;) :D

ozstar

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:59:56 am

Yes thank you. I don't need it to resize, just to backup all files/folders as they are. I have plenty of space on the destination disk.

I got it working okay for the destination disk but was not sure what to choose for all the options of what to backup.

I am not well versed enough on the Linux disk and structure.

I want to backup the entire disk so that my server etc is amongst it.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:51:33 pm

I'll have to get back to you when I'm at home - last time I used it was backing up my work PC to work external drive.

ozstar

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:06:47 pm

Great. No hurry. Thank you

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:59:27 pm

Sorry man, been a long day and been 'chillin' on PS4. But I thought you might like to read this in the meantime:

https://sourceforge.net/p/redobackup/di ... 16063b485/

redobackup is now being rebuilt to Ubuntu 18.04 and because the new maintainer has been unable to make any contact with the original author redobackup 1.05, fully backwards compatible with 1.04, will in future be called 'Rescuezilla' and it's continuance will depend on continual patreon patronage. ;) :D

ozstar

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:58:48 pm

Thank you. Will take a read. Good to know it is being brought up to date too.