This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Boot directly into Zorin

kcaps

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59:42 am

I have just fresh installed Zorin, and I'm trying to set it up so it boots directly into the os without getting stuck on this screen:
Image/https://imgur.com/82KHfRr

After following various guides on stackoverflow, askubuntu, and probably elsewhere, my /etc/default/grub looks like this:
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT="Zorin"
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="hidden"
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0"
GRUB_TIMEOUT="0"
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noprompt"
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true"
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET="false"

GRUB_THEME="/usr/share/grub/themes/zorin/theme.txt"
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="false"
export GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="light-gray/black"
export GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="magenta/black"

Of course I also ran sudo update-grub.
But when I boot up it always goes to the attached screen first.

My specs are as follows:
ASUS ZenBook Flip S UX370UA
16Gb ram
Only Zorin is installed, used lvm with automatic installation

I'd appreciate any help!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:01:33 pm

My advice is don't login to Zorin automatically - you will have issues updating when it asks for your non-existent password to elevate you to 'root' (administrator). I'm surprised that you get GRUB showing - mine only shows because I have more than one GNU/Linux on 2 other drives. Normally you would not see GRUB when Zorin is the only install so I don't know why you get that 'static' option screen. Normally it would be 10 second progress bar across the top before the glowing Zorin logo appears before eventual login screen. ;) :D

Aravisian

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:17:45 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:My advice is don't login to Zorin automatically - you will have issues updating when it asks for your non-existent password to elevate you to 'root' (administrator). I'm surprised that you get GRUB showing - mine only shows because I have more than one GNU/Linux on 2 other drives. Normally you would not see GRUB when Zorin is the only install so I don't know why you get that 'static' option screen. Normally it would be 10 second progress bar across the top before the glowing Zorin logo appears before eventual login screen. ;) :D

Strong agreement.

kcaps wrote:I have just fresh installed Zorin, and I'm trying to set it up so it boots directly into the os without getting stuck on this screen:

After following various guides on stackoverflow, askubuntu, and probably elsewhere, my /etc/default/grub looks like this:

I notice that you have several duplicate entries. Some counteract each other.
Could you try adjusting your grub to look like the following:
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT="Zorin"
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="hidden"
GRUB_TIMEOUT="10"
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true"
GRUB_THEME="/usr/share/grub/themes/zorin/theme.txt"
export GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="light-gray/black"
export GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="magenta/black"

What you might add to it is:
Code:
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

I question whether you really need the GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true"---Only you would know that from using your machine. But I might suggest that you disable that (Or comment it out with a hashtag) and test starting up without it. If you experience lengthy boot up times, you may go back in and enable it.

kcaps

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:50:30 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:My advice is don't login to Zorin automatically

I don't. I have a password and I have to use it to login and run sudo.

Swarfendor437 wrote:I'm surprised that you get GRUB showing - mine only shows because I have more than one GNU/Linux on 2 other drives. Normally you would not see GRUB when Zorin is the only install so I don't know why you get that 'static' option screen.

I had installed some other distros before Zorin, but even if they had left "leftovers" after the fresh install, shouldn't disabling the os prober ignore them anyway?

Swarfendor437 wrote:Normally it would be 10 second progress bar across the top before the glowing Zorin logo appears before eventual login screen. ;) :D

I do get the progress bar. I guess I didn't take the picture properly.

Aravisian wrote:I notice that you have several duplicate entries. Some counteract each other.

I will try your suggested edits. The reason I had disabled the os prober is because I thought if grub doesn't bother searching for alternate os'es it might boot Zorin right away.

Aravisian

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:55:51 pm

kcaps wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:My advice is don't login to Zorin automatically

I don't. I have a password and I have to use it to login and run sudo.

Swarfendor437 wrote:I'm surprised that you get GRUB showing - mine only shows because I have more than one GNU/Linux on 2 other drives. Normally you would not see GRUB when Zorin is the only install so I don't know why you get that 'static' option screen.

I had installed some other distros before Zorin, but even if they had left "leftovers" after the fresh install, shouldn't disabling the os prober ignore them anyway?

Swarfendor437 wrote:Normally it would be 10 second progress bar across the top before the glowing Zorin logo appears before eventual login screen. ;) :D

I do get the progress bar. I guess I didn't take the picture properly.

Aravisian wrote:I notice that you have several duplicate entries. Some counteract each other.

I will try your suggested edits. The reason I had disabled the os prober is because I thought if grub doesn't bother searching for alternate os'es it might boot Zorin right away.

This is an odd case. Yes, a fresh install should have wiped out any "leftovers" from the previous O.S.' installed.
How long has it been since you installed Zorin?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:54:18 pm

To ensure a clean install, run Gparted, even on it's own CD, and delete every partition (you need to unmount swap before you can remove it) and get to the point where you have an empty drive. Then start afresh by adding '/', then create an extended partition - add 'swap' at the end, double the size of your Physical RAM. The space left in front of swap on the extended partition mark as '/home' - if you have an EFI enabled BIOS, right at the start of the drive you will need a 35 Mb ESP (EFI) partition,

kcaps

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:47:20 pm

Aravisian wrote:This is an odd case. Yes, a fresh install should have wiped out any "leftovers" from the previous O.S.' installed.
How long has it been since you installed Zorin?

Around a week.

Swarfendor437 wrote:To ensure a clean install, run Gparted, even on it's own CD, and delete every partition (you need to unmount swap before you can remove it) and get to the point where you have an empty drive. Then start afresh by adding '/', then create an extended partition - add 'swap' at the end, double the size of your Physical RAM. The space left in front of swap on the extended partition mark as '/home' - if you have an EFI enabled BIOS, right at the start of the drive you will need a 35 Mb ESP (EFI) partition,

I had only used elementary os before(no lvm), this is a new laptop. When I installed Zorin I picked "Erase drive" and also used LVM.
Do I have to wipe everything and reinstall? it seems overkill..

Aravisian wrote:I question whether you really need the GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true"---Only you would know that from using your machine. But I might suggest that you disable that (Or comment it out with a hashtag) and test starting up without it. If you experience lengthy boot up times, you may go back in and enable it.

I tried them, no success.

I also tried doing:
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

and then rebooting twice , for grub to save the selection. No dice.
It can't be impossible to get this. What else can I try?

Aravisian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:56:13 pm

kcaps wrote: it seems overkill..

Honestly, I would do it. If you have only been running it about a week, then you probably have not really gotten settled in, yet. I would back up Home Folder and wipe and reload.

kcaps

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:08:43 pm

I had a bad experience with installing a new distro on a drive with LVM installed (Installed Zorin on another computer), i had to spend hours on google yesterday when I wiped the disks but Zorin couldn't install because the old fedora installation lvms were still present. (Lots of lvdisplay, pvscan,and stuff I don't really understand)
If I do go the full wipe route, how do I make sure that the LVM won't f*** anything up?

Back to the OP, grub isn't booting directly into zorin. It seems that grub isnt actually using the grub.cfg. I say this because even a small change, like the amount of seconds timeout, is not changing when I change them and run update-grub. Also, @Swarfendor437 said the green progres bar on top should be there for ten seconds, which is what the /etc/default/grub shows, but on boot the bar goes for a lot more than 10 seconds. I haven't waited till the end but I think it's 30.

kcaps

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12:52 pm

Looking at /boot/grub/grub.cfg, I see:

Code:
set theme=($root)/usr/share/grub/themes/zorin/theme.txt
export theme
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
  set timeout=30
else
  if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
    set timeout_style=hidden
    set timeout=3

Looks like this might be related?
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2412153

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:24:51 pm

kcaps

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:51:41 pm

Okay, problem solved.
As explained here
kcaps wrote:Looks like this might be related?
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2412153

This is desired behaviour on a system with ALL of the following three requirements: Only one OS, UEFI and LVM.
The solution is to add:
Code:
GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT="1"

To the /etc/default/grub file. Then the system boots almost immediately into Zorin. setting to 0 is possible and works. If set to 0 the menu select screen is gone, replaced by a grey screen with a blue/green outline around the edges of the screen.
Thanks for all your input!