This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Lite backup

Waco John

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:04:15 pm

image.png
Code:
Uname -or
gives:

5.0.0-37-generic GNU/LINUX

Want to do a disk image backup to attached external usb drive. Using application DISKS. Seems intuitive, but never done this before. To get right to the point, I think I have to unmount /dev/sda1 (the drive/partition to back up (160GB) and mount /dev/sdb1 (500GB)

but:
1. I have never unmounted a partition/drive I am using at the time. Can that be done?
2. Which do I do first, .. mount target then unmount source or unmount source then mount target?
3. Is this entirely the wrong approach?

Sorry for the screenshot. Did not realize I was using dark mode. I hope it is readable.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:41:19 pm

Hi, I've never used Disks before for backing up. To backup the system in it's entirety I would use rsobackup. You boot off CD or USB and backup system to external drive. ;) :D

MBMz10

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:09:30 am

I do it using Disks (Gnome Disks) and a 'Live Session USB' and made a video showing how to here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYpHPe3VAOo
The video is less than 5 min.

I haven't tried it with a distro using a Swap File, only Swap Space but I think it should work unless the swap file is active and can't be deactivated. I suspect there would be a terminal command to de-activeate the swap file if that was the case, but have not looked into this as of yet.

UEFI systems I am not 100% sure of either...never had to recover, yet!

Let me know how it goes if you do it.

Waco John

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18:34 pm

thank you both for the tips. Guess you can't do a backup directly from the running OS since both suggestions involve booting from an external device. Funny that DISKS program suggests it can be done. Thank you both again.

EDIT: Maybe someone can further explain that it can be done.
Also, for some reason, not getting Email notifications of responses to subscribed threads. Any suggestions??

Also .. just found this:

4 Ways to Back Up Your Entire Hard Drive on Linux

https://www.maketecheasier.com/back-up-entire-hard-drive-linux/

but haven't tried any of them yet.

Aravisian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:09:49 pm

Waco John wrote:thank you both for the tips. Guess you can't do a backup directly from the running OS since both suggestions involve booting from an external device. Funny that DISKS program suggests it can be done. Thank you both again.

EDIT: Maybe someone can further explain that it can be done.
Also, for some reason, not getting Email notifications of responses to subscribed threads. Any suggestions??

Also .. just found this:

4 Ways to Back Up Your Entire Hard Drive on Linux

https://www.maketecheasier.com/back-up-entire-hard-drive-linux/

but haven't tried any of them yet.

Unless you have something installed in Root that is particularly difficult to reinstall or difficult to configure, I admit I see little point in backing up root.
And here is why:
An issue that causes you to have to Wipe and Reload is very likely to be in root. That issue can start taking effect before you are aware of a problem- and after you do a back up.
In which case, you backed up the problem and this could cause all your data to be lost.

I only back up Home folder and if there are difficult to install or configure things in Root- than just copies of those particular files needed.
That way, if anything goes wrong, all my data is more secure. And re-installing software like Gimp or Inkscape or Alien- I pretty much have it all memorized and get it all back on in about ten minutes, anyway.
DejaDup works well enough for me. I do find it a bit superfluous since running it is as energy consuming as doing it myself, anyway. Swarfendor has written some articles on backing up Home folder on another partition or elsewhere, too.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:21:00 pm

This is how you ensure you get notified about replies (options tab, bottom left of shot):

NotifyMe.jpg

MBMz10

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44:29 am

Waco John wrote:Funny that DISKS program suggests it can be done.

Can you point me to where this info might be?

From this site https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... nome-disk/
How to create an image
So if you need to make an image of the primary drive on the system (such as /dev/sda), you will have to run this process from a live instance of Linux.

Which is about what I would have expected, Think you'll need to use a Live USB for the system some how.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:57:28 pm

Which is why I always recommend using redobackup on sourceforge. ;) :D