This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Really slow premium client download speed

smokinxp

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15:34 am

Currently paid for and am downloading the OS5 Ultimate Edition 64bit and its averaging 30kb/s download speed, that's just unacceptable for a 3.7GB client.
Is this just being hosted on a personal server attached to a slow/restricted internet?
Lotsa people downloading at once maybe?

Maybe it's just me, i have high speed cable internet and as requested am using Firefox 4 not that it should make any difference.
gonna take over a day and a half to download.

are there any high speed mirrors somewhere

rscott4581

Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:41:39 pm

Ibiblio seems to be the only place to get it. Haven't heard anything otherwise, but there is always the option to order the Disk from the Zorin OS WebSite

smokinxp

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:09:04 pm

a bit slow? that's like dialup speeds in today's world :)

i gave up on the first attempt that was stuck at 20-30kb's and had downloaded 300mb in 6hours,
so i tried using the firefox download accelerator addon and it still took 6hrs to download from scratch but ended with a corrupt file
ordering the DVD was not an option, i've paid for the download and am in Australia, i want it NOW. lol

Currently with the download manager it's downloading at 800kb/s so atleast thats waitable if it stuffed again.
20kb/s without, good thing i have 200GB a month download bandwidth :) we use to only get 25-50GB

and it's corrupt once again. Awesome

rscott4581

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:38:40 pm

It does seem like there needs to be a Bit Torrent option as well since the download at times seems outrageously slow, although I have downloaded a few times now and generally gotten around 220 kb/s which wasn't terribly slow but it is a large package to download as well.. 3.7 GB is Gigantic..
Perhaps Zorin should consider releasing a 'Bare' Premium install with just the necessities since everything else can be downloaded through Software update if it is wanted or needed...

rscott4581

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50:56 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Might be worth raising - isn't the issue with Torrents though dependent on other users feeding a Torrent? That way how can Zorin maintain financial income to keep the dev team working?

There is multiple websites that hosts files, ie rapidshare, depositfiles etc. and the files could still remain password protected along with a link to Zorin's website for those interested in attaining an unlock code for them, however there definitely should be more than 1 option of downloading, not everybody has the super high-speed connection, although they could order a DVD that could take more time to get than the download does, even if slow although there is cases that the download may never succeed due to a bad connection or a ISP that is just flakey, the second time I downloaded for the new version I was forced to restart the download 6 times, I finally got it thankfully, just the point being with BitTorrent I wouldn't have had to restart that many times, it would have retained what I had already gotten and those corrupted downloads would have not been such a waste of time...

smokinxp

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:03:28 am

yup. i had a Rapidshare account and a MegaUpload account
I did leave it going overnight well overnight for me an Australian. and it msuta picked up at some point atm it's sitting on 50kb/s but it's still taken a full day of downloading and has only reached 3GB.
and the computer went to sleep for 30seconds at around 500mb so i hopes to hopes that it didn't corrupt the file and waste all that time Yet Again....

smokinxp

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07:33 am

might note too that not everyone in the world has unlimited bandwidth per month to download stuff, restarting 4GB files over and over is only adding to the load on the servers and peoples bandwidth use.
Peace

ozfossil

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:59:01 am

Ouch,

I thought my problem was getting the download link, before I read your posts, now I might have to reconsider the whole Zorin thing - I liked what I saw on my initial playing around with Zorin and said to my self - this is good enough to pay for considering how yummy it all appeared - so when 5 emerged I paid the Ultimate download fee - in some ways just to donate to a great effort and cause - I did not really bother about downloading the free one (Core) - Just thought it would be neat to put the effort into something paid for (unusual for me with regard to Linux) - only ever paid for one other distribution more than 5 years ago.

It appears to me that Zorin may suffer as a result of the download/donation issue - if people are aware of your hassles - and rightly it is not very Green to leave a PC on for days to download a file - think of all that Carbon....

rscott4581

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47:50 pm

ozfossil wrote:Ouch,

I thought my problem was getting the download link, before I read your posts, now I might have to reconsider the whole Zorin thing - I liked what I saw on my initial playing around with Zorin and said to my self - this is good enough to pay for considering how yummy it all appeared - so when 5 emerged I paid the Ultimate download fee - in some ways just to donate to a great effort and cause - I did not really bother about downloading the free one (Core) - Just thought it would be neat to put the effort into something paid for (unusual for me with regard to Linux) - only ever paid for one other distribution more than 5 years ago.

It appears to me that Zorin may suffer as a result of the download/donation issue - if people are aware of your hassles - and rightly it is not very Green to leave a PC on for days to download a file - think of all that Carbon....

Oh don't mind us, we just gripe over having to wait hours and hours to download, but I must say it is totally worth having, and even waiting to get the download complete or getting your DVD in the mail.. If it was a fast instant download, there wouldn't be much to it and most likely not worth having.....
( This is the first 'Linux Donation' I have made and I am indeed well pleased with it )

smokinxp

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:59:35 am

I have contacted them and only got an automated response and no response to my reply. Did eventually get it downloaded though it took somewhere in the vacinity of 12+hrs to download
now i just gotta get through bugs that others have reported LOL

maxmm5

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:39:48 am

To All, The first time downloading ROS on Ibiblio I've tried Firefox as recommended, it takes a crawl of 65 kb/s and down as slow as 18 kb/s at one time so I turn it off and used Chrome instead with speed between 170 to 215 kb/s, while doing nothing but observe until it was done. It takes me less than 2 hour of download time without error.