This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Gnome-screensaver freezes

greg

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:54:31 am

Hi

I have installed Zorin today after hearing very positive comments from a viewer on http://www.category5.tv/

I must say I am very impressed especially that this could help people make the transition from Windows to Linux if they choose too.

I have used Linux since Ubuntu 8.04 and really enjoyed the experience thus far ........ until Natty arrived . Have tried a couple of distros in the mean time and as I said Zorin looks cool , fresh and clean. I have helped quite a few people now to make the move from Windows to Linux (mainly ubuntu)

At the moment I am not quite sure I want to pass on Natty at this stage but Zorin appears that I will definitely promote but if there is someone in this forum maybe that can help me with a possible fix or work around for gnome-screensaver that freezes it will be great. I have had a look on the ubuntu forums and I have even tried xscreensaver ? issue with 11.04

I would like to help more people make "the move" but is reluctant to do it with 11.04 because in my experience it is a little buggy ( screensaver issue)

Last thing I wanna do is introduce Linux to someone and they struggle with something unnecessary

Cheers

retired

Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:00:23 am

Can you describe your screensaver problem in more detail ?

craig10x

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:32:25 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I have had a similar issue running the MacOSX desktop in 5 Ultimate (the initial one that had the GRUB bug) and I did not alter any default settings. Was downloading Ultimate 5 replacement at the time when Hypertorus (I think that was the name of the screensaver and not only did the screen freeze but the whole system didn to -no response from mouse or keyboard needed a soft reset to launch the machine. I would suggest turning screensaver off anyway as they were designed for CRT screens - if you have a TFT screen there really is no need for one in my opinion.

Good point...that is very true...i think these days most just use them as an attractive "decoration" while they are away from their computer for a period of time (lol)....

Just curious, do you just keep your screen on all the time or do you have the display go to "sleep" (go to black) after a certain period of inactivity?