This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] How-To set default OS

Wolfman

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:58:24 am

Hi,

if you don't want your version of Linux to be the default OS and make lets say; Windows Vista/XP the default, take a look at this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubH ... eDefaultOS

You can also use "startupmanager":

http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/10/how-to- ... er-in.html

From a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t)

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

The other option and also a very good tool is "Boot Repair":

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

shaine

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07:12 am

i have tried both with no success is there some thing i am missing ??

madvinegar

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:50:38 am

Have you tried DanyHKIM guide???

In the Terminal, type the command:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

You will be asked to provide your password, and then the text editor will open with the file loaded.

Now look for the line that says:
Code:
GRUB DEFAULT="0"

This line will be one of the first lines in the file, just past the comment lines that are marked with a "#". It tells GRUB2 that the default command to run is number "0" on the list, where the line numbers start with zero, and not one. This is an important detail.

Remember which line in your GRUB2 boot menu had the Windows command? If it was, for instance, line 6, then you will need to indicate that you want the default action to be item number 5. So change the command to say:
Code:
GRUB DEFAULT="5"

While you're at it, you could find the line that sets the countdown time for GRUB to display the menu, and change it from 10 seconds to maybe 3 seconds. This will save you a whole 7 seconds of boot-up time!

Save the changes to the file, and close it.

Go back to your Terminal. You will need to get GRUB2 to recognize the changes you made by typing:
Code:
sudo update-grub

Restart your computer, and it should choose Windows as its default boot-up. Remember that the Windows command will still be the last item on the menu list.

I hope this works out for you, and I also hope these instructions are more helpful than the ones in the linked page.

shaine

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:30:48 pm

well thanks to all of you and to you
madvinegar that did it i can now boot in to windows first
and again thanks to all

madvinegar

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32:07 pm

Glad I helped my friend!

gamelover85

Tue May 27, 2014 12:25:23 am

this use to work for me but i installed Zorin on another desktop and it don't work on this desktop. I get this error.

error: cannot read `/dev/sda': Input/output error.

Wolfman

Tue May 27, 2014 5:45:56 am

gamelover85 wrote:this use to work for me but i installed Zorin on another desktop and it don't work on this desktop. I get this error.

error: cannot read `/dev/sda': Input/output error.

Have you checked the drive for defects?. :D

If it cannot find /dev/sda you are in serious trouble I would think!. Is it an external drive you have?.

jjlhendry

Thu May 29, 2014 7:28:16 pm

I am having trouble with booting to a usb... I was able to from the BIOS before I installed Zorin OS 8 but now I can not. I tried booting the usb from the grub prompt but no luck. How do I go about adding the USB to the bootloader so I am able to boot to it. I have looked at forum after forum but i am not getting anywhere with it.

Wolfman

Fri May 30, 2014 9:02:35 am

jjlhendry wrote:I am having trouble with booting to a usb... I was able to from the BIOS before I installed Zorin OS 8 but now I can not. I tried booting the usb from the grub prompt but no luck. How do I go about adding the USB to the bootloader so I am able to boot to it. I have looked at forum after forum but i am not getting anywhere with it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7393