This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[INFO] Tools to check for and prevent hacking

IzayoiAki

Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:18:10 am

I found this via a link on Google+ and it seems to contain a lot of tools and utilities for hacking prevention. I felt it would be worth sharing here because if you're anything like me and you like to tinker with settings, you could unknowingly open up a security hole which could be exploited by hackers. The tools here range from port scanners to exploit test tools.

These aren't for any specific distro from what I can see and I haven't used them all yet, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness (and besides, I'd get in deep doo-doo with my boss if I started doing port scans inside a corporate intranet :P), so take the information from this page with a pinch of salt.

Link: http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxSecurityTools.html

An important note is that these tools WILL try to hack into your machine. They will do so to check and test for vulnerabilities, known exploits, etc. Depending on your setup, using these tools MAY set off alarms (e.g. from firewalls), either on your machine, or other machines on the same network (for example, for port scans). But don't let this put you off, the best way to test anti-hacking security is to try to hack into the system.