This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED)Asus Netbook.900HD XP Will Not Let Me Resize/Parti

shkarst

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:04:02 pm

My Asus Netbook, Model 900HD XP Won't Let me Resize The HD

I can get "Gparted:" to open up, but nothing in the window responds as though the Netbook is protecting its' HD, as HAL did in 2001/2010, a Space Odyssey>>LOL.

Any idea why

OH and let me add, I am trying to install Zorin Lite, and want to do it ALONGSIDE the Windows XP OS, and am not getting that option, just getting 1) Clear out Windows or 2) Something Else). My computer expert friend who works on/with the Counties computer system, alerted me to the fact that the LiveBoot Disc has, "gparted," in the system tools. Cool I thought, but even though gparted does open up, nothing it in will respond. I am also using a USB CD/DVD Drive, since of course the Netbooks do not come with a built in one. This LiveBoot disc works and is NOT corrupted. It is just like the Netbook is just not letting me mess with its' brain :-)>>>>>HELP y'all

Wolfman

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:20:46 pm

Hi,

sounds like your hard drive has protection on it, this is designed to stop bugs from wiping the disk etc.

Is your drive large enough and was it mounted when you tried, if you see a little lock symbol by the drive letter in Gparted, you must right click and unmount the drive.

You might start looking in BIOS and then also by pressing the various keys on your model, F9 is recovery I beleive with ASUS PC's!!, you should look on their support site.

See also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953900

Here is a guide about partitioning for you to read:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Regards Wolfman :D

shkarst

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:55:51 pm

Wolfman>>Thanks for that. However I am pretty sure that I did not see a little LOCK on there, other wise I would have mentioned that to my computer expert I had on the phone. But I will re-check, thanks. Also yes the Asus machine/netbooks do have that F9 recovery thing, but NOT THIS MODEL (900HD XP). I thought they also ALL did, till I thought that I was going to have to do one, and after researching it, when nothing was happening hitting F9, that this model does not, which is why they provided a disc, and which also is why I bought that USB CD/CVD Drive.

Someone else over in the Ubuntu ASK grp also mentioned the MOUNT thing, and my County Computer guy did tell me that that was not my issue. So I really am at a loss. Thanks again :-)

shkarst

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:20:14 pm

Wolfman>>Have my Netbooked booted up and no LOCK thing there and still the same result, moving the little slidy thing on the RESIZE does nothing, the little hand moves but nothing affects anything. Also changing the numbers,t hen hitting an up/down arrow reverts back to the same original number. I went to that ubunto thread, and that person pretty much sounds like he wiped the Windows OS and replaced it. I do not want to do that. I want to partition it to be able to install it ALONGSIDE. But at this point it looks like a wash, and that I am stuck with just Windows on there.

shkarst

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23:13 pm

P.S. Just double clicked on STA1, and a status window came up saying that it is, "NOT MOUNTED." Giving up for now>>>AGAIN for some sun and reading out back :-)>>Thanks again.

shkarst

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:33:36 am

swardender437>>>I haven't gone to that amazon link yet, but yes, I have the 900HD XP with a 160G HD & XP Home, same as my desktop, that installed Zorin's full version perfect. And I have to say, I LOVE LINUX, only plan on booting up to Windows once per month around the MS Update 2nd Tuesday of the month, then resulting in my running my security scans THAT week. But then back to Linux for another month. IMO, beats the heck out of SCHMINDOWS>>LOL

shkarst

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:43:09 am

Yup, just checked that amazon link, and that is mine, bought in 2009, and I have had ZERO problems. Still using the original power adaptor. When going out of town for our annual beach vacations, I just LOVE it. So compact, light, and does everything that I normally do even on my desktop. But the 900Mhz processor can be very trying, while trying to multitask. My desktop's (An HP Slimline) purchased in 2006 with its' 1.5Ghz processor handles everything not slowing down at all. I AM NOT A GAMER>>LOL. So I am thinking that Zorin light, installed ALONGSIDE Windows would operate much much quicker on this netbook, compared to SCHMINDOWS. It is like Night and day on my desktop, with a couple of minor annoyances, the KB/Mouse will not bring the PC out of Suspension/sleep. And I only have a couple of screen resolutions, 800 X 600 and 1024 X 768, NOT the one that makes an online TV program fit on my 42" set's entire screen. But I can live with those annoyances, especially since I am NOT a command line/terminal type person :-)

Wolfman

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:18:40 am

Hi,

there is an option to install Zorin (Ubuntu) along side Windows automatically, have you got that far with the installer, boot the system fully and try installing, first check that your sound, internet etc are working before commiting to install, you can tell the installer how much space on the drive you want to use!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LokDqte3sA4

shkarst

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47:55 pm

Yup, I am aware of that, getting the alongside option, when I installed the full version on this desktop, and I did verify that the LiveDisc LITE version also displayed the ALONGSIDE option, by placing that one in the desktop. But on the NETBOOK that option is NOT displayed, giving me just the other two options, to 1) Clear out Windows (I AM NOT DOING THAT :-) )), and, 2) the SOMETHING ELSE option, which my county computer guy after bringing that up on his machine did not advise using, saying that I would probably end up wiping out Windows. Nope Wolfman, I only came here, because we have tried seemingly everything. It is probably something simple, but it has us stumped. Thanks again. One More One, my guy, also had me try putting the FULL version LiveDisc in the netbook's USB DVD drive, thinking that the ALONGSIDE OPTION might be displayed there, then installing that, and LATER RE-INSTALLING the LITE version in its' place. But Nope that option (ALONGSIDE) for some reason is being blocked from being shown/offered, on my netbook.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:46:21 pm

Hi,

how much space do you have on the drive in total, including recovery partitions etc??.

System requirements:

For the GNOME based versions (non Lite):
700 MHz x86 processor
3GB of Hard Drive space
376 MB of system memory (RAM)
Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
Sound card

For the LXDE based versions (Lite):
266 MHz x86 processor
2GB of Hard Drive space
128 MB of system memory (RAM)
Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
Sound card

shkarst

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:21:05 pm

Wolfman, on the netbook's 160HD, over 90% of it is free. I am not a saver of STUFF>>LOL.

Swarfendor>>I considered downloading and burning to disc, "gparted," on this desktop to try on the netbook, but then my County computer guy was the one that told me about it on the LiveBoot disc. He already had another partitioning tool over at his place and we both doubt that either one would work.

shkarst

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22:31 pm

Wolfman>>By the way, REMEMBER the 900HD XP model does not have a recovery partition, others do like the 1000e specifically, but not mine.

shkarst

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:00:51 pm

swarfendor>>Yes I can boot from the LiveBoot disc, both the Full or LITE version. That is where I tried the, "gparted, "System tool from.

My County computer guy explained that sudo gparted is using SUPER USER, and said that that is not going buy me anything, that this LiveBoot disc tool SHOULD work. But I do appreciate your input, but not hard up enough to get this done running out getting and regressing to using a FLOPPY drive :-).

shkarst

Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:18:22 am

Nope, not going that way. I LOVE Zorin, using it here on my desktop, and IMO it is Light years beyond WIndows, at least Windows XP, which is why I would like to get it going ALONGSIDE Windows on my desktop :-)

shkarst

Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:21:49 am

P.S. My County guy admits that he does not know Linux, is trying to get Zorin going himself. He has successfully installed Ubuntu, and Mint 3 onto his machine, but is having problems with Zorin. Even admits that I have done more with it than he has (Linux). But I am not a command/terminal type of guy, will be the first to admit that.

shkarst

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:58:11 am

OK swarfendor437, I got into my netbook and LiveBoot here fine then to the terminal and did your: sudo gparted, and it took it, opening it up. Worked exactly as the gparted built into the LiveBoot system tools, NO RESPONSE.

And I am beat, also trbl shooting a router problem, A TrendNet that I only bought in 2009, and is failing me. Dang thing, I had the power strip/surge protector all powered down with all my PC stuff here, while we were vacationing at the beach last week. Apparently, it must have stressed it out after resting a week, powering it back up. So off to WallyWorld tomorrow morning to buy a reasonably priced one, delaying another chore I had planned>>>GRRRRRRRRRRR> Right now I am connected direct from my modem to my desktop. So if I wanted to used my netbook over the WiFi from somewhere else in the house, I'm dead in the water. So that is my first chore tomorrow morning. Thanks for your TERMINAL suggestion, but as I said, made no difference. For some reason, my NOT MOUNTED, "C" drive is definitely protecting itself. My guy, Eric, says that he has a partitioning program over at his place that may work. I forget its' name. So will take a break till I can get over there. Thanks again>>>Night

Wolfman

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:58:13 am

Hi all,

does this help you further:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8165763_access- ... ee-pc.html

shkarst

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:33:23 pm

Wow>>Wolfman, that may be the answer, thanks. Will try that later when/if I have time today. But I had to shuffle, changing plans around today. As soon as I get off my PC doing my morning online stuff, I'm off to WalMart to get a new WiFi Router. Mine gave up the ghost after just three years and 4 months, a TrendNet. So I had to run the ethernet direct into my desktop last night. I printed those instructions and will hope that does it, and will let y'all know. Thanks a BUNCH>>>Bye

shkarst

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12:48 pm

Wolfman>>As I figured, I do not have an, "UNASSIGNED Hidden Partition." Eric, my PC Buddy, told me, "NO NO NO," anyway, saying that I would not want to mess with that. That we will try his OTHER Partition RESIZE program, that he feels will work. May this weekend, if we both have an opportunity/time.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:30:30 pm

Hi,

keep us posted and let us know the results in detail if you can; so we can help someone with the same type of PC as you.

shkarst

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:41:00 pm

Will do :-).

Now a little OT. Does anyone know, how to (WITHOUT doing the COMMAND TERMINAL stuff, since I am not THAT SMART>>LOL) get the KB and Mouse to work with Zorin, tapping a KEY or shaking the mouse to get it out of suspension/sleep??? I have to very quickly tap on my power button, which sometimes works, but mostly SHUTS IT OFF, having then to reboot. This occurs with both my Logitech wireless KB/Mouse, as well as an ordinary WIRED mouse

Wolfman

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19:46 am

Hi,

you can take a look here, it recommends using hibernate over suspend and does have a few terminal commands which you really should start getting used to as they will save your bacon one day when you most need it!!.

http://www.howtogeek.com/113923/how-to- ... ntu-12.04/

shkarst

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:45:11 pm

As one poster said in that site, "So Ubuntu still isn’t ready for regular users then?

Thanks for the tutorial, but for people who are used to using hibernate without thinking about it (as I am in Windows 7) this is obviously not a solution. Whoever’s fault it is, doesn’t change the fact that Ubuntu doesn’t work in some respects."

Now Wolfman, that would be me>>LOL>>a regular user. So far I have not HAD TO try to figure out using the terminal, and don't plan to. Did just once, and it actually worked when it was suggested here to try: sudo gparted on my netbook, which only resulted in the exact same gparted opening up as the one on the LiveBoot Disc. IF one had to REALLY use the TERMINAL to use Linux (Zorin's flavor) I'd be back to Windows (XP in my case). But I really love the way this OS works, its' lightning speed in comparison. There are just certain things that I have so far been able to live without. With all the many updates nearly every day, you'd think that many of those annoyances would have already been FIXED!!!!!

Wolfman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:42:35 am

Hi,

yes the updates can be a pain and there are several areas where Ubuntu still haven't got it right!!.

All said and done, it is as I said; important to learn a little about terminal commands for that just in case scenario.

Important is that members look through the how-to's available which often already hold the answer they seek.

Don't be afraid to ask a question because we are all learning all the time!!. Your question teaches everyone something that may well help someone else!.

Anonymous

Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:47:02 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

yes the updates can be a pain and there are several areas where Ubuntu still haven't got it right!!.

All said and done, it is as I said; important to learn a little about terminal commands for that just in case scenario.

Important is that members look through the how-to's available which often already hold the answer they seek.

Don't be afraid to ask a question because we are all learning all the time!!. Your question teaches everyone something that may well help someone else!.

This to help out whom ever!!!!!!!!!

Those laptops came with recovery CD's only or the option to buy them. Windows 7 is the only one with a recovery console on the drive. Unless you got into the upper models that Dell or Sony came with the retsore option via the hard drive. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't be telling anyone how to do this. But since your time is running out with support via Microsoft it won't hurt to get rid of XP or what vever floats your boat. Regardless if you have a recovery console built in your drive or not. The easiest way I can tell you how. Is go online such as Piratebay or Bitsnoop and search for (Hiren's Boot CD ) and download it. Make you An ISO image CD of it. Run the CD on Boot. Use one of the many utilities to do what ever you please. Or do what the others such as ( Wolfman ) said to do I think was to run Zorin Os along side of XP. But it still doesn't make since to do that, because support expires for Windows XP this spring.

shkarst

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:14:42 pm

datek1>>Sorry, but you are incorrect on your dates. Support for XP does not end till 2014, and as I figured since it was not too long ago netbooks were still being sold with XP. I'll be heading over to my PC experts place later this morning, unless something comes up for either of us, to have him try his RESIZE/Partitioning tool that he feels will work. If it doesn't work any differently than gparted did (UNRESPONSIVE), I will just live with XP, since I do not feel comfortable blowing XP away:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... pport.aspx

shkarst

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:31:06 pm

P.S. This is still Regarding my Netbook. This desktop works GREAT using Zorin. Hardly ever going into Windows, mainly planning on doing so only after the monthly MS Updates, also bringing other software current, then back to Zorin, and hopefully NEVER HAVING TO LEARN the use of the TERMINAL ( :-) )) to Wolfman>>LOL.

Anonymous

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:38:36 pm

shkarst wrote:datek1>>Sorry, but you are incorrect on your dates. Support for XP does not end till 2014, and as I figured since it was not too long ago netbooks were still being sold with XP. I'll be heading over to my PC experts place later this morning, unless something comes up for either of us, to have him try his RESIZE/Partitioning tool that he feels will work. If it doesn't work any differently than gparted did (UNRESPONSIVE), I will just live with XP, since I do not feel comfortable blowing XP away:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... pport.aspx

I just talk to a friend and your computer has the recovery parttition by default. Thats why your not able to do anything. Download Hiren's Boot CD from Piratebay. Make ya an ISO image. or make an image on a USB flash drive. Boot up with the Hiren's Boot CD and wipe the drive clean. Ya and your right I don't know what I was thinking about XP being a year off. There's about 10 or 11 utilities to suit your needs. I would use the Boot and Nuke. It works the best. And by the way the friend I was refering to is an employee of ASUS. He goes around the area and does on sight service repair for ASUS. AS far as XP goes they'll support it til 2014. But in reality you will see few or know security updates after April 2013. This is coming from Microsoft.....The last warning April 2013 -2014. Dealing with Microsoft daily at my repair shop those are your real world dates>>>>Since you don't want dump Xp. In your best interest, I woul leave the drive the way it is. And do what the others where telling you to do. Run Zorin Os inside of Windows XP. Good Luck!!!! Hope I could help at least a lttle bit.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:59:57 pm

Hi,

does this mean you did get it installed??, what tool did you use??.

shkarst

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:55:50 pm

Datek1>>I doubt your friend has the 900HD XP model, maybe the 1000e, because I know for a FACT that the model 900HD XP DOES NOT have a recovery partition.

ALSO TO WOLFMAN>> Eric GOT ER DONE, using his, "ACRONIS, resize/partitioning tool, :-). And he hasn't any idea why gparted would not do it, having ZERO problem with his tool. I am on my desktop, while the netbook is downloading 106 (I think it was) software updates. But I am using the ethernet WIRED connection, because for some reason it is not seeing my or any nearby WiFi Network connections. That is THE VERY NEXT THING to research, as soon as these updates are done. Or hopefully one of those updates might resolve that. Cross your fingers for me>>>>Bye. By the way, before you ask, YES I verified using Windows that I have my WiFi toggled ON>>LOL.

shkarst

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:21:45 am

From what I can find, looks like this is going to take some TERMINAL work, which kind/how much I have no idea. So I have just about had it with Linux at least on this Netbook. I like/love the way it functions on my desktop. May actually remove it from the netbook, and put the "C" drive back the way it was. Too bad Linux just can't be a TAD more USER friendly, and I am talking about NON TECHNICAL users :-)

Anonymous

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:47:04 am

shkarst wrote:Datek1>>I doubt your friend has the 900HD XP model, maybe the 1000e, because I know for a FACT that the model 900HD XP DOES NOT have a recovery partition.

ALSO TO WOLFMAN>> Eric GOT ER DONE, using his, "ACRONIS, resize/partitioning tool, :-). And he hasn't any idea why gparted would not do it, having ZERO problem with his tool. I am on my desktop, while the netbook is downloading 106 (I think it was) software updates. But I am using the ethernet WIRED connection, because for some reason it is not seeing my or any nearby WiFi Network connections. That is THE VERY NEXT THING to research, as soon as these updates are done. Or hopefully one of those updates might resolve that. Cross your fingers for me>>>>Bye. By the way, before you ask, YES I verified using Windows that I have my WiFi toggled ON>>LOL.

Support For

Eee Family
Eee PC 900/XP

Change Your Model
Add to My Favorite
Register

Knowledge
Download
Specification
Warranty Policy

Troubleshooting :
System Recovery on Eee PC products
Page Tools
Solution

Using the Recovery Partition preinstalled and hidden to easily restore the system

About the Recovery Partition :
The Recovery Partition is a space reserved on your hard disk drive used to restore the operating system, drivers and utilities installed on your Eee PC.
( Before using the F9 recovery, please ensure to connect your Eee PC to the AC adapter to avoid recovery failure. )

Step 1 : Press repeatedly during boot up to open the screen for “Windows Boot Manager” and select “Windows Setup” to enter the interface of Recovery System.
( Please be noticed a single press of the button will not always be recognized. )

Step 2 : Please click the “Recovery” button to start the system recovery.

Step 3 : Please click the “Recovery” button to start the system recovery.

Using the Support DVD to restore system recovery.

About the Support DVD :
The Support DVD includes an image of the operating system, installed on your system at the factory. The Support DVD provides a comprehensive recovery solution that quickly restores your system to its original working state, provided that your system drive is in good working order. Before using the Support DVD, copy your data files to floppy disks or to a network drive and make a note of any customized configuration settings ( such as network settings ).

Step 1 : Generally, you need to disable the Boot Booster function in the BIOS settings.

About the Boot Booster
The Boot Booster function in BIOS setup helps shorten your Eee PC boot-up time. However, you MUST disable this BIOS item before you change any Eee PC components or perform system recovery from the external optical drive.

1.) Start the Eee PC and press < F2 > repeatedly during boot-up to show the POST screen to enter the BIOS setup.
2.) Move cursor to choose "Boot" and disable the "Boot Booster".

3.) Press < F10 > to save your changes and exit.

Step 2 : Connect an external optical drive to your Eee PC and insert the Support DVD into the optical drive
( System needs to be powered ON )

Step 3 : Press on boot-up and the “Please select boot device” screen appears. Select USB:XXXXXX ( may be labeled as the ODD brand name ) to boot from the optical drive.

Step 4 : Press any key to boot from the optical drive.

Step 5 : After the Asus Recovery CD/DVD window appears, please select where to install a new system :

1.) Recover system to a partition
This option will delete only the partition you select from below, allowing you to keep other partitions. Please select a partition and click NEXT.

2.) Recover system to entire HD
This option will delete all partitions from your hard disk drive and restore the pure OS. Please select and click YES.

( If you select Recover system to entire HD, the entire hard disk drive will be a partition with the pure OS and the F9 recovery function will no longer exist. Therefore, we highly recommend that you use the F9 recovery to restore the system. )

Step 6 : Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.
( You will lose all your data during the system recovery. Ensure that you back up your important data before recovering your system. )

Step 7 : After the system recovery is completed, eject the Support DVD from the optical drive and click OK to restart the Eee PC.

Step 8 : Setup your language, time zone, keyboard, computer name, and user name to enter the Windows® OS.

Anonymous

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:07:50 am

Wolfman : People come in to my store all the time with a broken computer. ( And actually sit there and tell me how to fix it. ) I'm used to it. But for the Mr./Ms. know everything that actually knows nothing about there own product... Take a look at this webpage at ASUS>>>>>http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=20&m=Eee%20PC%20900/XP&s=1&hashedid=PGEqzGdfmtS5rj..&os=&no=1718

Before wrong the people that are trying to help you. Learn before you yap at the trap.

The above tells by default to use to ( hidden system recovery) and using a restore ( CD ) as a backup. They do this for a reason: Just in case: You accidentally delete everything: Take a good look at your Netbook.

Notice Something Missing>>>No Optical Drive>>>>Thats why the computer manufactures give this option, built in the system by default.

Wolfman

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:14:53 am

shkarst wrote:From what I can find, looks like this is going to take some TERMINAL work, which kind/how much I have no idea. So I have just about had it with Linux at least on this Netbook. I like/love the way it functions on my desktop. May actually remove it from the netbook, and put the "C" drive back the way it was. Too bad Linux just can't be a TAD more USER friendly, and I am talking about NON TECHNICAL users :-)

Hi,

I understand where you are coming from but even under Windows ther is the need to use terminal commands even if you only use them a little, the terminal is not as bad as you think, there are some very simple commands which tell you a whole lot about your problem, follow this next example and you won't even notice you are using a terminal command:

Boot your PC and select the 2nd option in the list which is "Recovery Mode", you will be taken to a menu, the first thing you need to do is to click on "Network" which will activate the internet connection, then click on "dpkg" and press "y" (Yes) when asked, even if it tells you that there are no updates, say "y" anyway and continue, you will then see the terminal at work but only with the simple command "y", the system should fully update and then once it is done, press Crtl + Alt + Del to restart!!.

The terminal is your friend :D :D :D :D

To check what Wifi device you have, open a terminal and enter:

lspci

press return (enter) and then a list will appear with information which you can copy and paste here, then we can work out what Wifi chip you have and help fix the problem.

For a full list of hardware, you can use the command:

sudo dmidecode

See also:

http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-lin ... formation/

For a full guide about updating. see here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know how you get on.

ALSO; SEE THE OTHER THREAD YOU STARTED AND PLEASE DON'T DOUBLE POST:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2571&p=15613#p15613

Lets keep this thread alive, I am going to close the other one so we remain on the same page!!.

Anonymous

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:17:11 pm

Wolfman wrote:
shkarst wrote:From what I can find, looks like this is going to take some TERMINAL work, which kind/how much I have no idea. So I have just about had it with Linux at least on this Netbook. I like/love the way it functions on my desktop. May actually remove it from the netbook, and put the "C" drive back the way it was. Too bad Linux just can't be a TAD more USER friendly, and I am talking about NON TECHNICAL users :-)

Hi,

I understand where you are coming from but even under Windows ther is the need to use terminal commands even if you only use them a little, the terminal is not as bad as you think, there are some very simple commands which tell you a whole lot about your problem, follow this next example and you won't even notice you are using a terminal command:

Boot your PC and select the 2nd option in the list which is "Recovery Mode", you will be taken to a menu, the first thing you need to do is to click on "Network" which will activate the internet connection, then click on "dpkg" and press "y" (Yes) when asked, even if it tells you that there are no updates, say "y" anyway and continue, you will then see the terminal at work but only with the simple command "y", the system should fully update and then once it is done, press Crtl + Alt + Del to restart!!.

The terminal is your friend :D :D :D :D

To check what Wifi device you have, open a terminal and enter:

lspci

press return (enter) and then a list will appear with information which you can copy and paste here, then we can work out what Wifi chip you have and help fix the problem.

For a full list of hardware, you can use the command:

sudo dmidecode

See also:

http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-lin ... formation/

For a full guide about updating. see here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know how you get on.

ALSO; SEE THE OTHER THREAD YOU STARTED AND PLEASE DON'T DOUBLE POST:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2571&p=15613#p15613

Lets keep this thread alive, I am going to close the other one so we remain on the same page!!.

You were talking of routers earlier. The number 1 router is Cisco used by the Gov. all the way down to the household. Then you have Netgear and D-Link. They all are good routers. D-link is the best router for the average household user with little or no experience. Why, because it comes with the installation CD that goes step by step with installation process to the end with you... ( Easy to Understand ) And maybe the best part is the length of time you have customer tech support. And you can actually understand what the support techs are saying unlike Cisco. There support techs ( Cisco ) sound like there from India and I never can understand what they are saying. Netgear on the other hand is a lttle better, but not by much. D-link is the best choice by word of mouth. Then Netgear as a second choice. Last but not least Cisco/Linksys. Oh ya I forgot one of the best things about ( D-Link ) they are a lot cheaper than Netgear/Cisco... And yes I'm waiting to come back here on the thread>>>And somone will say I'm wrong again>>>> Don't be one of the ( suckers ) that the sales person talks you into buying one of the Cisco routers. What good is the router to you if you don't even know how to use it. Fine if you have someone (Geeky) in your family to keep up with the router for you. Then go buy a Cisco/Linksys and pay out the (rump) for the router.......Or you want to be one of those people that does ( Monkey SEE MONKEY DO ). I don't yap unless I know the fact is true.

Anonymous

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:33:58 pm

I can agree with that in your neck of the woods. But when you go further north in Europe its changes. What your talking about is our version of Ciso/Linksys and D-link. Don't get me wrong Netgear is equal to the rest of the best, but for the people in the United States D-link is the all around best in price>>>Customer Support>>>>For the Non-Geeky Folks. The Downside of Cisco/Linksys and Netgear is after your support runs out they won't even look at you without $$$ extended support. D-Link will help with support (limited) way after your EX. date. That puts them way out front in my book.

shkarst

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:34:52 pm

I have a Belkin router that I very recently bought, because my TrendNet of 3 yrs./4 mo. gave up the ghost>>LOL. The Belkin was very easy to install, and works GREAT, also an EXCELLENT signal from the farthest reaches of our house. It is not a router issue, MY NETBOOK SEES IT FINE (USING WINDOWS), it's Network CONNECTION. It is this newly installed Zorin Lite that does not see ANYONE'S in the AREA connection, and I have my theory why, And I will try out my theory soon, even if Eric has not woken up yet. If my theory pans out, I will report back. And to Datek1>>I don't mean to insult you, BUT that info is wrong. I had tried that at one time and the F9 function did not work with my particular model 900HD XP, and researching it AT THAT TIME, I found out that it DID NOT have that partition, which ERIC DID CONFIRM yesterday at his place. I will again find that for you and share it AFTER breakfast :-)

Anonymous

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:38:02 pm

Just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my tale. I called Asus and that model comes with the recovery partition. Now yours might the 1001,000 off the assembly line that the quality contol over looked. _it happens!!!!! That above I pasted is supposed to be about your model netbook directly from the ASUS site. I even gave you the link also. It doesn't matter anyway now. To late to worry about. Hopefully AZorin and his brother and whom ever involved will come with the next version of the Zorin OS just like the 5.2 version. That was and still is the best yet that I've tinkered around with of all Linux period. Zorin Os 6 is still the best current to date. Even with the bugs. These moderators know this distribution inside and out and can help you with what ever problems you run into. When you run into hardware and software problems they can't help you with, I'll be in the background listening. I'm not going to jump any longer to help out.
Unless asked to do so. I contract out with the US Gov., Microsoft, Cisco amonst others.The list is to long to post here. I don't have time to debate with the others over this, that and the other. What is the best in the world, or what isn't. I just know the real world truth of what is and what isn't on this end of the globe. One thing you can learn if nothing else from myself is not to believe everything you read. Cnet.com is a good place to see what is good these days amonst the new gizmo's they come out with on the market. And by the way (Belkin) is a good product, just not to popular.

So if you all need my help I will be in the shadows!!!!!!!!! Seeya all It's been nice!!!!!!!

shkarst

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:53:52 pm

I FIXED my WiFi issue. My theory was CORRECT. When Eric ran the INSTALL yesterday at his place, on the steps including Zorin's recommendation that three conditions be done, the THIRD being connect to your connection (WiFi in my Netbook's case), and the next step, highlighting and choosing YOUR Network Connection, which could not have been over at his place anyway (MINE), THOSE STEPS CAN NOT BE missed/ CONTINUED THROUGH. Apparently that is what sets up the WiFi driver/controller in the OS. I am now up and running, RESTARTED, and my WifI Connection IS THERE>>>HOORAH>>HOORAH :-).

Now off to find the correct info for MY MODEL netbook for datek1 :-).

shkarst

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:00:20 pm

P.S. Datek1>>Then mine must be the one that did not get it, because Eric looked at my "C" drives MANAGEMENT, and there IS NO Recovery Partition.

And if you GOOGLE, " I can not recover (THAT MODEL) by hitting F9,"
you will see that there are OTHERS out there that that option does not work for, believe me>>>LOOK. I am really not as dumb as I look, after 4 yrs. as a U.S. Naval Electronic tech and 28 years as a Telco ATT Tech, even though I do not want to get involved with that DANG TERMINAL. Every thing (See my above post, concerning my WiFi issue) that I read Googling last night, was c***, all those trying this or that on the TERMINAL. I FIXED IT!!!!! Bye y'all :-)

Wolfman

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05:09 pm

shkarst wrote:I FIXED my WiFi issue. My theory was CORRECT. When Eric ran the INSTALL yesterday at his place, on the steps including Zorin's recommendation that three conditions be done, the THIRD being connect to your connection (WiFi in my Netbook's case), and the next step, highlighting and choosing YOUR Network Connection, which could not have been over at his place anyway (MINE), THOSE STEPS CAN NOT BE missed/ CONTINUED THROUGH. Apparently that is what sets up the WiFi driver/controller in the OS. I am now up and running, RESTARTED, and my WifI Connection IS THERE>>>HOORAH>>HOORAH :-).

Now off to find the correct info for MY MODEL netbook for datek1 :-).

Hi,

good to hear, thanks for the feedback, I will mark this thread as solved if that is okay with you :D :D :D :D

shkarst

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49:01 pm

Yes it is>>>Thanks for you guys trying to help :-)