This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZorinOS UI

Endogen

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:30:47 am

Hi,

i didnt try Zorin yet but i have a question regarding the UI: on what is it based? I dont think its based on GNOME, looks like KDE to me :)
And can i use it with another linux distro?

Cheers,
Endo

madvinegar

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:57:30 am

The ui is been created by the zorin devs exclusively for Zorin 6 and is called "Zorin-desktop". Read here: http://zoringroup.com/blog/2012/06/18/z ... unleashed/

Zorin 6 os is based on ubuntu 12.04 LTS (gnome 3.2.0-25).

In the installation options see the 1st option that says "install ZOrin6 in parallel with...."

Endogen

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:48:16 am

It may be created exclusively for Zorin, but i guess it's open-source and therefore basically usable with every other linux distro(?). What are the package dependencies of Zorin-desktop? And where can i find the Zorin source code? Could someone please lead me there.

Cheers

madvinegar

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:19:31 am

Ok, now I got exactly what you mean.
You want i.e. to install ubuntu or mint etc. but use the zorin6 UI instead.

I really cannot reply to this question. Probably only the devs can. The ZOrin UI also includes the "look changer" feature so I don't really know how easy and usable would that be with other linux distros... Or what is the combination of packages dependancies or if it is free for distribution and use in other distros. I see that there is a package called "various modofications for zorin os" but I do not know the ppa.

May I ask in which linux distro you like to install the zorin-desktop?

Endogen

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:29:05 am

At the moment i am searching for a distro that i would like to use in the future (i am not a beginner, i already use linux right now) and i really like the Zorin desktop UI, so that's why i'm asking. I guess i will use some ubuntu variant as the base (or maybe fedora). No problem if you can't answer the question, maybe a developer will answer my post in the "Development" forum.

Thanks!

madvinegar

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31:15 am

But Zorin is an ubuntu variant. It is based on ubuntu 12.04 and therefore offers the Long Term Support. It is ubuntu 12.04 but with Zorin desktop/features and much more complete/loaded. Why not install Zorin?

Wolfman

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54:32 am

Endogen wrote:At the moment i am searching for a distro that i would like to use in the future (i am not a beginner, i already use linux right now) and i really like the Zorin desktop UI, so that's why i'm asking. I guess i will use some ubuntu variant as the base (or maybe fedora). No problem if you can't answer the question, maybe a developer will answer my post in the "Development" forum.

Thanks!

Do you want to intergrate Zorin UI with another OS or are you planning to create something of your own from scratch!!.

As MV has pointed out, only the devs can really help you with codes etc, you should contact them direct!.

Regards Wolfman :D